How come I can't find "Board Settings" to edit Column's and what not?

Gregory James December 13, 2022

There is no 3 little dots like I see in the tutorials, on the right and you click "Board Settings", our Jira doesn't have that, we have the paid version...? Am I looking in the wrong place?

6 answers

5 accepted

Suggest an answer

6 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2022

Hi @Gregory James,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Board settings in a company-managed project is only available if you are a project admin or have been added as a board admin. In a team-managed project you have to have the role of administrator in order to see Configure board.

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2022

Hi Gregory - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Not all boards can be edited. What type of project are you using? Team-managed? Company-managed? Jira Work Management? 

Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2022

As John suggested, can you identify the type of project?

Please take a look at the bottom left corner and search for "team-managed" or "company-managed" project.

Also what do you see in the address bar: is it ***.atlassian.net/jira/core/** or ***.atlassian.net/jira/software/***?

Like Gregory James likes this

its company managed

Like Kalin U likes this

/jira/core

Like Kalin U likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2022

@Gregory James 

That indicates you are looking at a Business/Work Management project.

Is your tutorial applicable to that type of project?

This documentation provides information on working with Boards for Work Management projects:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/monitor-your-work-with-the-board/

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2022

Are you on Cloud or Server?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2022

Okay, that's definitely Cloud and Jira Work Management. You cannot edit the board for those projects. If you need more flexibility, you can create a separate board. Here is an article that I wrote earlier this year on how to do that. If helps give it a Like for me. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Creating-a-Second-Agile-Board-for-Team-Managed-or-JIra-Work/ba-p/2115018

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
John Fetzik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2022

One thing to note is that the way you modify boards is different between company managed and team managed projects. Without more info I would guess you might be in a team managed project but are looking at the documentation for a company managed project.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Karen Rogalski December 13, 2022

You may not be a Board Admin, ask your Jira Admin to verify.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2022

Hi @Gregory James  and welcome!

Try adding this to the end of the board's URL:

?config=filter&insightsConfigTab=board

Right after the number of the board.

Also, you need to make sure you are one of the Board Admins for that board, if you haven't already.

HTH,
KGM

I'm site admin, I have full admin access, but maybe I still have to add myself to the board admin somewhere else?

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2022

I always add myself, even though I'm a site admin. You can add yourself or delegate this ability to others in the Project Settings > People screen.

Like # people like this
Pasam Venkateshwarrao
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2022

Hi @Gregory James 

Although you are site admin some projects may be restricted to access.

you are a site  admin just go to project settings and just add your name in people then try once, then you can select Board now you can see 3 dots at the left side

Screenshot 2022-12-13 113915.png

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2022

@Gregory James That looks like a Work Management Project. It has very different rules than the Software Management Projects, which I believe is what you must have seen documentation for. There's a steep trade-off between the calendar and list functionality you get in a Work Management project, and the versatile and flexible boards you get for Software Projects. 

If you desperately need the configurable boards and cards, I recommend creating a new Software Project with the workflow and board settings you need, then migrating your issues to it. 

Like Kalin U likes this

I would have to migrate them manually and re-enter them? Or is there a feature where I can take issues from Project A and import/migrate them to Project B ?

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2022

There's a bulk issue mover! Once your new project is all set up, go to the old one and swap to the Issues view in the left nav menu. 

In the upper right corner, use the ellipsis button to open the context menu, and pick Bulk change all # issue(s).

You'll go through a couple screens where you select the issues to act on (all), select the action to take (Move issues), and decide whether to send emails (I never do, because it's sometimes a LOT of emails, where 1 friendly Slack or email message is plenty. 

A short, probably inexhaustive, list of things to think about first:

• Do you have apps, APIs, or other integrations or automations that touch the existing project? Make sure you're ready to update or re-create them.
  • Does the existing project have custom fields or a workflow that must be carefully reproduced?
  • Who do you need to ask / warn? Who do you need to notify afterwards?
Like Radka Svobodova likes this
Lauren Allen December 13, 2022

@Gregory James If you still need all the other features of a Jira work Management project, you don't need to move the issues to another project.  Another option is to create a company managed software project that is just used for creating boards.  Create a new board in that project with all of the issues from the Jira Work Management project and have it as another view.  You can also set up a shortcut to that board to make it easier to access quickly. And vice versa, a link to the project from the software project too.

Like Anne Saunders likes this
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2022

@Lauren Allen that is genius. It has literally never occurred to me before, and may have solved a similar problem for one of my teams!

Like Lauren Allen likes this
Lauren Allen December 15, 2022

Yay!  Always happy to help with the workarounds. 😎

We use this one for many customers who want the work management teamplate features but want a more complex board. It works a treat.  

Incidentally, you can create software boards under your profile as well if you don't want them associated with a project.  That would be more for personal boards though. 

Like Anne Saunders likes this
0 votes

Screenshot 2022-12-13 113915.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events