Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira cloud-to-cloud migration is getting a new home!

Hi Community,

I’m Avi, a content designer working on the Jira cloud-to-cloud migration and Confluence cloud-to-cloud copy features.

From January 2024, we’re moving the Jira cloud-to-cloud migration feature to admin.atlassian.com. We're bundling this with the Confluence cloud-to-cloud copy feature that we rolled out recently

This also means we've renamed Jira cloud-to-cloud migration (Migrate cloud site) to Copy product data

Why are we doing this?

Instead of having two separate locations for Jira and Confluence, we’re unifying the experience so that you can move all your Jira and Confluence data from one central location. 

What should you expect?

If you haven't used the Jira cloud-cloud migration feature 

You won't have access to the legacy experience.

To access this feature: 

1. Go to admin.atlassian.com 
  2. Select Settings > Data management > Copy product data.

If you are currently using the Jira cloud-cloud migration feature

• If you've any active migrations, you’ll have the option to opt in and use the new unified experience with an option to opt-out until June 21, 2024. We’ll sync your migration plans so that the transition between opting in and out is seamless.
  • If you’ve any in-progress migrations, you won’t be able to opt in. You’ll be able to opt in only when you don’t have any ongoing migrations. This is because we don't want to disrupt your work. 

We'll sunset the legacy experience on June 21, 2024, so we recommend you opt-in and use the new unified experience. 

Any changes that you need to prepare for?

If you’re a site admin, you’ll need to be an organization admin to access admin.atlassian.com and use this feature.

The new unified experience will be similar to the legacy experience with some improvements, so you won’t have to learn how to do a migration again. We’ll also not remove any capabilities.

Give us feedback

Keeping our goal in mind, please let us know how we can make the cloud-to-cloud migration feature better. Here are some ways you can give us feedback:

We’d love to hear how we can help you.

13 comments

Sean Riddle December 19, 2023
Like Dan Breyen likes this
Jihan February 2, 2024

Hi Avi - I saw this yesterday but I'm only seeing Confluence in the option. We have a client moving cloud to cloud, both Jira and Confluence. Are both products supported? Thanks for this feature, pretty cool. Will apps and plugins be supported?

Like # people like this
Avishekh Das
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2024

@Jihan We're rolling out Jira based on some cohorts, so you may not see this feature yet. But rest assured, we're rolling this out very soon. For now, you can use the Confluence feature at admin.atlassian.com and use the Jira feature by logging into your cloud site and selecting SettingsSystem > Migrate cloud site. Documentation is available here.

Like Dan Breyen likes this
Khadjha Constantine
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 15, 2024

how can you opt out of the new experience? it seems that my experience is locked to opt in as an org admin, although i have legacy migrations and saved migrations on in the previous experience.

Avishekh Das
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2024

@Khadjha Constantine Can you please raise a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ and we'll take a look at it? 

Paula Hidalgo February 26, 2024

I used the Migrations Dashboard to get a snapshot of my cloud stats:  number of project, number of issues, storage used, customers, groups, and installed apps.  Where can I find that information in a single page visit?

Like # people like this
James Webster February 27, 2024

Hello,

Has anyone else found that the new data management tool has broken the single project Cloud to Cloud migration functionality?

Previously, only the associated project data (statuses, custom fields etc) from the origin instance was migrated but now it migrates the Project specific config and issues etc but also the whole instances statuses, customs fields, etc, etc).

It makes a big mess! 

Nicole Radle February 29, 2024

Sorry, but I don't like the new migration tool.
It failed, even though it flagged everything as feasible during the preliminary check.
According to the report, user-specific fields are not migrated and I am supposed to create everything manually and then import the data via CSV.

Norm Lee March 14, 2024

This does not support Jira Service Management projects?

Like # people like this
Lara Bailey March 21, 2024

@Norm Lee Indeed I came to the same conclusion, despite

1) It says here that JSM team-managed projects aren't supported
2) It says here "We’re rolling out the change slowly, so if you aren’t able to access this feature by logging into your Jira Cloud and selecting System > Settings > Migrate cloud site, we recommend you go to admin.atlassian.com, and select: Settings > Data management > Copy product data"

So #1 indicates that company-managed JSM migration should work, and #2 indicates that if the new way doesn't work, the old should - but it just doesn't.

I've tried to migrate a company-managed JSM project using both, and the old way just redirects me to the new, and in the new way, no JSM projects appear. 

Interestingly, it says here "The capability to move Jira Service Management data from one instance of your Jira Cloud to another is only available when you have signed up for our Early Access Program (EAP)."

So I guess that's it - it doesn't work right now / yet.

Would be nice to know when they expect it to be out / how to sign up for the EAP, and it would be great if the documentation was accurate and consistent, so I didn't have to waste 6 hours setting up a new Jira instance, trying to migrate to it, and then figuring out and explaining why I couldn't, despite it indicates I should be able to in some pages.

Lara Bailey March 21, 2024

New day, new search, managed to find the EAP for JSM cloud-to-cloud migration:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Cloud-Admins-articles/Early-Access-Program-for-Copy-Product-Data-for-Jira-Service/ba-p/2500826

And in the comments, there's info on when it will be mostly functional and available to everyone, looks like June 2024, but that "Assets and Automation rules may take longer as they are more complex for us internally. But we're on it!"

Now all that needs to be fixed is the many web pages (including this one) that lead you to believe the JSM cloud-to-cloud migration is currently available and working.

Like # people like this
Norm Lee March 21, 2024

@Lara Bailey  Thank you!  You helped us dodge the bullet of finding this out on the day of the scheduled migration. We're going to have to do the migration via Export/Import of CSV files then.

Rory Strickler March 21, 2024

Is there a rough date on when we can expect the JSM migration option will hit GA? We are quite keen to get some of these projects migrated.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events