What is the best practice to track a limitation of a feature (epic) in Jira?

Jeyesh Jeykhar October 28, 2020

A feature request is created as an EPIC tracked in a separate project called FR in JIRA. What is the best practice to track a design limitation of the feature in JIRA?

2 answers

0 votes
Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2020

Hi @Jeyesh Jeykhar ! Are you using Jira Align? If you are, there are are a couple approaches you can take. 

• If you talking about technical design, you may want to create a custom field on the Details tab of the Feature asking the submitter to outline technical design limitations (something you can talk to your Jira Align Admin about adding to the screen)
  • If by design you mean things like UX design, you can use the Design tab on a Feature to outline this kind of information (if it's not on in your instance of Jira Align, ask your Jira Align Admin to turn it on)
    Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 7.11.19 AM.png

Jeyesh Jeykhar October 29, 2020

No, we are not using Jira align. We are using only Jira

Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2020

Hi @Jeyesh Jeykhar ! You're in the Jira Align space of Community - I would recommend posting your question to the Jira Community page...you'll get better answers :-)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira/ct-p/jira

Good luck in your quest for knowledge!

Thanks Mark

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2020

Hi @Jeyesh Jeykhar , when you are saying "design limitation", is it another type of Jira issue which has been created in a project different from "FR"?

@Deepanshu Natani, I am trying to figure out if creation of another project for Limitation is the best approach or if there anything else that I could do in the current project "FR" itself.

The end goal is all the limitation should be tracked as per release basis. i.e Each release will have a set of EPICs created in the "FR" project. I would also want the limitations to be easily documented and collected at the end of a release.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2020

@Jeyesh Jeykhar, Do you see any problem if you manage all the epics, design limitations and releases in the same project?

You can simply create an issue type for creating and tracking your design limitations in the same project. If required, they can be easily linked with the epics and also assigned fix versions/ release.

As per the details shared by you, I do not see any reason to create a separate project

Like Jeyesh Jeykhar likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events