Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Align - Help Onboarding Success in setting "Edit Preferences"

Back in the "old days", one of the first things we ever did on day 1 of Jira Align user training was ensure that users logged in and set their Edit Preferences settings immediately.  This is an easy step that seems like minimal impact, but over time (and now especially with remote learning limitations) I've run into countless cases where client communications for each user to update their default values is missed.  This can lead to a more frustrating user experience and slow your enablement success.

Eventually in the future, I'm hopeful that we'll be able to default the Preferences setting to more appropriate values out of the box in every new instance.  Perhaps there can even be a mass update utility.  But until such time, here is a quick run through of my recommendation for the most optimal settings that users should apply. 

Currently, these must be done individually for each user.  However, for select cases such as senior leadership or perhaps other key individuals that may present a particular challenge with receptivity or learning curves, I've advised enablement staff to use the "Impersonate" functionality to set those values on their behalf. 

PReferences5.png

You could even post an Announcement pop-up for users upon login to help prompt action to set.  

announcements 2022-12-15 19_40_49-Jira Align - Brave.png

Here are 4 simple steps recommended for all users to apply:

1. User selects Edit Preferences from menu pop-out of Profile picture/avatar in upper left. 

Preferences1.png

2.  Set "Records Displayed Per Screen" to 30.  (Yes, this setting is up to the user, but realistically most users prefer to minimize the number of pages to cycle through.)

Preferences2.png

3. Slide BOTH "Show Tips On Forms" and "Show External IDs" to Active. 

a. Pop-up help on work item form mouse-over is especially helpful for users. 

b. Being able to see the Jira ID in Jira Align helps bridge the user experience across the systems. 

PReferences3b.png

4. Turn on "Change Tracking Emails". 

Note: This setting is essential for Dependency requests to automatically email any user set as a Product Owner or Scrum Master for the requested dependent Team in Jira Align.  

PReferences4.png

Users could certainly choose to opt out of these settings as they personally desire.  But in general this configuration will provide a more optimal experience, particularly with Show External IDs and Change Tracking Emails. 

For supplemental reference, here is a related Jira Align Zendesk Help article.

Have you recommended any variation to these settings?  Any particular successes or challenges with the Edit Preferences page?

2 comments

Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

@Rob Phillips -

This is still part of all training we provide when implementing and training people on Jira Align, has been since you and I worked together at AgileCraft.

Always interesting to work with a client who may already be on Jira Align and see 10 rows per list and no  column of Jira IDs. As soon as they see they can change to 30 rows and see Jira IDs, it's a new user experience.

Thanks for sharing this post.

Cheer,
Peter
VP Enterprise Agility, Praecipio

Like # people like this
Mike Goitein April 4, 2024

I use this all the time, @rob - We might have to add references to the new Jira Align navigation

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events