cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why editing an answer has Karma points?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2011

I have noticed that if you edit your own answer, it gives you Karma points. Does it make sense? Not in my case where I edited the answer to fix a grammar mistake!

What is the value behind this?

8 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2011

It sounds like the general sentiment is that editing is a good thing, but it's overvalued. I've changed it to 3 karma for both retagging and editing.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2011

Thanks, that sounds much better weighted. Hopefully it won't be backdated ;-)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2011

And while you're there ;-) I agree with Jobin, a comment upvote has got to be worth 5 or 10 pts.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2011

Hmm - actually I want to call that a bug. I thought it was worth the same as an answer. I've raised a JIRA issue to figure it out:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANSWERS-156

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2011

3 karma is a much fairer system. Thanks Jeremy. Now I don't feel so dirty if I go on an editing session :)

Pablo Rizzi April 13, 2016

thanks, this sound good. 

Sam Finegold September 25, 2019

After your edit is accepted, do you receive additional points if the answer is upvoted? Or if your edit is accepted, do you receive a flat 3 points?

5 votes
Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2011

It must be to show that you care about the quality of your post and don't post items with ungood grammar...

</sarcasm> ;)

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2011

Something that I do often in forums. In answers it translates to - Good grammar, better spelling, more Karma ! Nice ;)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2011

Fantastic for me - I can't type, or string a coherent paragraph together. I edit a lot...

2 votes
Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2011

+1pt would be fair. +15 is too much...

2 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2011

I don't think it's a good idea, in fact I dropped a link to the guy in charge of a.a.c about this earlier. As soon as someone realises (as they clearly now have!) it's going to be open to abuse.

Correct answer = 25 pts

Add a space to your own answer = 15 pts

Upvote = 15 pts

Those numbers don't add up to me.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2011

Totally agree. In fact a vote on the comment have no Karma but editing a comment has?

1 vote
Frank Lee July 16, 2011

I think the value behind giving karma points for editing your own answer is a tyle of encouragement for users to always update and provide better answers and solutions.

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2011

It sounds like there's some pros and cons on both sides. To tell you the truth I hadn't thought about it too much until now - this was just a system default. Now that I think about it, I like the idea of encouraging grooming. I do a lot of it - changing titles, retagging, fixing grammar. Isn't it, overall, good to encourage tidying up?

In general I doubt many people are really gaming the system fo Karma, are they? Am I just being naive?

Deleted user July 15, 2011

I don't see any point in gaming the system like that. Until I saw you can get a t-shirt :p

As my answer indicates I'm in favour encouraging some tidying up. But as Jamie points out, it is unfair to rate an edit as much as an upvote.

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2011

While it is nice for others to tidy up, I can really see people abusing the system by knowning how to cheat it. By giving people karma points for not answering questions/good question, you are essentially opening up an opportunity for bad guys to abuse the system. Say if someone edit his/her post so many times to get 20k karma, he/she can end up getting the power to delete someone's post or whatever evil thing he/she can do in here.

there are jsut people in this world that like to break rule..hence why we have admins!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2011

You might be being naive, or probably I'm being cynical. However, it's worth people getting to the top of the leaderboard, it's going to help get a job, and for partners to get work. So when there's a motivation, people will game the system.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2011

Yeah, I wish everyone had pure intentions, but of course I know it's not always true!

Ultimately the system should reward points fairly. The points here are compelling.

0 votes
Deleted user July 14, 2011

Fixing typos should be rewarded, definitely. When I search for answers I the result will depend on the key words beind spelt correctly. Unless the search engine is smarter then I imagine, that is.

If I make a mistake in my searching I can spot it and fix it. Guessing how other people misspell words is a nearly impossible task. At least not worth my time.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2011

I know, I feel like it's cheating. But I guess it does give people an incentive

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2011

Missed this reply, thanks to the notifications issue :) It isn't cheating I should say. And I guess the points are for editors(or power users) to correct other's questions or posts.

But there won't be an easy way for the application to identify what is legitimate. I guess it rely on the users to use it wisely. The question was asked because I was a bit surprised to see my points going up when I edited my post to fix a grammar mistake.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events