How do I get the Service Desk search to return the same value as my general confluence search

Nicole Downes June 16, 2019

For example, when I go to search in Confluence and type "How to setup a printer" , search results immediately finds the article with the same name.

When I type "How to setup a printer" in the Service Desk portal, is starts returning values with "setup" in the title.

How do I get the same search results, or at least improve the criteria for matching and returning kb articles for clients?

2 answers

1 vote
Nicole Downes June 27, 2019

Received an answer from Atlassian:

David Ung commented:

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your patience on this, I have been running tests on your versions and against the new version.

We found that Jira Service Desk was using a different REST endpoint when searching on portal versus searching when creating a ticket, this was actually rectified in the new version Jira Service Desk 4.2 where it is now it uses the exact same REST endpoint for both creation and search portal, and good news here is that it's using the more accurate create search endpoint that returns the tags as more relevant.

So it is not something that you have configured incorrectly it's actually the product version you're on, I have spoken to our developers and there was work to improve our search smarts between Jira Service Desk and Confluence and this was one that was improved on in version 4.2.

There are other improvements too in 4.2+ in that it returns more than 3 results and allows your users to page through results if the first 3 were not actually relevant to what they want.

Let me know if you need further information on this.

Cheers,
Dave

Randy Roosekrans July 1, 2019

Hi, David. Do the updates that you have reported for 4.2 (improved search logic & 4+ search results) apply also to the cloud product? I just tested on one of my cloud client portals and I do not see those changes yet. 

If the 4.2 updates do not also apply for the cloud platform do you know when those fixes/enhancements will be available for the cloud?

Thank you,
Randy

Like Kirill Karpelson likes this
0 votes
Tarryn Jordaan June 27, 2019

I'd love to know the answer to this - did you manage to resolve this?  I just submitted a support ticket with the same issue...

Hi there

We have just noticed quite a severe shortfall on Knowledge Base SEARCH functionality... Having transferred a bunch of articles and written new ones, it really needs to be resolved.

Our portal is:
https://platform1software.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals

The issue is that when using the magnifying glass Search anywhere within that portal, doesn't return relevant results... it seems to return 3 articles (always) and possibly only the most recent articles.

In particular, say our users might type "Survey Builder" and in that case the ideal top hit should be an article called "The Platform One Survey Builder". The search returns 3 articles that have the word "survey" in the title, but don't even have "builder" and aren't related.

Where do we change the search basis parameters? Firstly it needs to show more relevant articles if there are more than 3, and secondly it should return results on a better basis based on all words entered, title and content.

Unfortunately this means the user experience in our knowledge base portal is very poor as it is difficult to navigate at the moment and our clients may find this very frustrating, we were due to release this today... if you can please provide any advice urgent.

Nicole Downes June 27, 2019

Upgrade to Jira service desk 4.2.

Like Tarryn Jordaan likes this
Tarryn Jordaan July 1, 2019

Dang... unfortunately doesn't work for us, we're on Cloud not Server, and they've not implemented the same on Cloud...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events