How to become a Community Leader FAQ

We want to offer a hearty thank you to everyone who attended our latest how to become a Community Leader webinar! If you missed it, hop over to our recap for a highlight reel of what we covered, as well as recordings of the sessions.

As a follow-up, we wanted to capture some of the great questions from attendees and answer them all in one place:

Q: How can I check my points as a regular Community member?

A: Points are not public-facing, so that's why we don't have a specific number required to become a Leader. It’s mostly about whether or not you've been consistently participating for three months and have posted like at least 20 or so answers.

The points come into play when you become a Leader, and that's our way of holding folks accountable and having some type of activity threshold. We recently implemented a monthly report for Leaders, so they know how many points they've earned in the past month and how many points they've earned in the last 90 days.

Q: How many certification exams can you take for free as a Leader?

A: You can earn one free voucher for each of the exams (plus cert prep), however, if you do not pass, we do not hand out additional vouchers.

Q: I usually spend two to three hours per week searching for questions that I feel confident answering in the online Community — is that enough to qualify for the program?

A: That sounds pretty typical in terms of accumulating enough activity to be evaluated by our Support team! Just make sure you’re being consistent and have at least 20 posted answers and some accepted solutions under your belt.

Q: If I get rejected and want to revisit the possibility later, do I have to re-apply?

A: No need to re-apply. Because you’ll hear from a Community Manager either way, it’s best to follow up on your original email thread with them after an appropriate amount of time has passed and you’ve had a chance to work on some of the things we’ve suggested.

Q: I only have expertise in one or two products vs. the entire Atlassian suite — is that okay?

A: Absolutely! It’s perfectly fine to pick a certain product collection or interest and spend a lot of time there.

Q: Is Community leadership region-specific?

A: For Events Leaders, we set you up to lead your local city chapter (if you’re based in Nashville, we would create a Nashville chapter, for example), but as most events are virtual these days, you can expect to see attendees from all over the globe who may be interested in topics you’re featuring.

Q: Is there any suggested number of answers submitted, accepted solutions, badges earned, number of articles written, etc. to be accepted as Community Leader?

A: To be considered for Support review, we do need to see at least 20 answers posted, with at least a few accepted solutions as well (you can see your total by visiting your online profile, which shows “accepted solutions” at the top).

Q: Can a Community event be organized specifically for an organization?

A: We do have a program for company-specific events, called Company User Groups, focused on increasing product adoption within organizations (this article has some great pro tips).

We offer resources for these folks in a Confluence instance, and they are able to request swag for their meetings, but because this is separate from the Community Leader program, we do not offer the same perks and rewards system for CUG Leaders.

Q: What are Kudos and how do you earn them? Where can I find more information?

A: In short, it’s a reward system where you can earn points and badges for participating in activities in the Atlassian Community. You can read the latest updates at this link, and you can read our FAQs in this thread. It is currently in limited beta, but you can request to join here.

Q: Is there a limit on the number of points that can be scored per month or quarter?

A: There is no limit, it just depends on how much time you’re able to dedicate! Once you are accepted as an online Leader, we ask that you earn 200 points per quarter to remain in good standing.

Q: As a Leader, do we get Atlassian product access?

A: Yes! We offer access to a “sandbox” of all of our Cloud products, so that you can play around and see exactly how they work, and so you’re able to share best practices with others.

Q: How can I transfer my online Community profile from a company email address to a personal email address?

A: Great question! Start with the instructions at the top of this thread to first try to change the credentials yourself. If you’re unable to, skip to the “That didn’t work!” section of that thread and follow the steps.

4 comments

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2021

Thanks @Erica Moss and @Jimmy Seddon for hosting it. It was very informational and I'm hoping to join the group soon.

Cheers

Like Erica Moss likes this
Sedera Randria
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2021

It was a great session! Never heard about Company User Group before. 

Like # people like this
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2021

Company user group, huh those maybe useful. We have two community leaders but I will bring this to the team

Sanjen Bariki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2023

Thanks for sharing

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events