Facilitate PI Planning with Advanced Roadmaps in Jira Cloud

Nothing beats face-to-face quarterly or PI Planning for multiple teams. Most of us do not always have the luxury of gathering all the team members that must help prepare for and execute PI Planning. If you would like guidance on using Jira Cloud’s advanced roadmaps to support remote PI Planning, Success Central has two guides to help you. image-20230217-210246.png

Access the first guide, Prepare for PI Planning events with Advanced Roadmapsin Success Central.

You will want to complete the 'jobs to be done' at least two weeks before the planning event.

image-20230309-153141.png 

Access the second guide, ‘Conduct a PI Planning event with Confluence and Advanced Roadmaps' in Success Central.

image-20230309-152934.png

We hope you found these guides helpful. Let us know if you have any questions or provide feedback here in the Community.

20 comments

Comment

Lilia Ben Henia March 13, 2023

Hi @Nohma Abboud ,

Thank you for these guides !!

I want to try it but I can't download the "Prepare for PI Planning Template" document.

Can you shared it please?

Thank you,

Best reagards,

Lilia.

Nohma Abboud
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2023

Hi @Lilia Ben Henia ,

Thank you for letting me know that it's not working for you. Let me fix it.

Nohma

Like Lilia Ben Henia likes this
Nohma Abboud
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2023

@Lilia Ben Henia Can you try it again? the link has been fixed :) 

Like vikram likes this
Lilia Ben Henia March 13, 2023

Yes, now it's ok. 

thank you @Nohma Abboud  :)

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2023

This is the first team I hear about Atlassian Success Central, another very useful resource.

Thanks for sharing @Nohma Abboud 

Like # people like this
Michelle Melancon
Atlassian Team
March 14, 2023

Howdy Community! 

Soliciting feedback on these two new guides. Let us know your thoughts and if there are any other guide topics that you would like to see in the future. 

Appreciate you! 

Michelle 

Like Nohma Abboud likes this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

@Nohma Abboud thanks for the step by step guide, 

I need to try from my end.

vikram P

Tatiana P April 12, 2023

@Nohma Abboud Could you please share this guide with me. I can not open both links unfortunately.

Reagrds

Tatiana

Nohma Abboud
Atlassian Team
April 14, 2023

@Tatiana P Let me fix the link :) 

Nohma Abboud
Atlassian Team
April 14, 2023

@Tatiana P the links are now fixed :) 

Eddy May April 19, 2023

Much needed and appreciated guides. Looking forward to trying these in active projects.

Like # people like this
Gerson Albuquerque June 23, 2023

Hello,

The links are not working, is it possible to correct it?

Like # people like this
Neill Walker June 25, 2023

@Gerson Albuquerque 

I think the links have been consolidated here 
https://success.atlassian.com/solution-resources/agile-and-devops-ado/agile-at-scale-practices

PI planning with Roadmaps is in the bottom row of the page.

Like Gerson Albuquerque likes this
Gerson Albuquerque July 4, 2023

Thanks @Neill Walker

Like Neill Walker likes this
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2023

Thanks for this article!

Honestly I feel like advanced roadmaps is not really suited for working SAFE. I'd be glad to hear other opinions.

Couple of things I'm missing:

• an actual PI concept. Having PIs as custom field values are far from ideal. There is no start/ end date end the PIs are not plotted on the timeline
  • Drag and drop of work items to the different sprints of the PI. Most SAFE-specialized apps offer a sprint overview where each sprint is a column and work items can easily be moved around.
    Editing the sprint field is not very user friendly
  • "Contributing Teams" is a regular select list while Teams is also a sepearate concept in Advanced Roadmaps. But you can't have a multi select field with the Teams from Advanced roadmaps so we would have to define them twice.
Neill Walker November 16, 2023

@Charlie Misonne 

We used Releases to identify PIs and it works pretty well. You can group by Release so it makes it easy to assign Features to PI.

Advanced Roadmaps might not be the best tool for PI planning but it is workable, and most customers large enough to be using SAFe are probably using the Premium plan, so it's free for them to use. At the very least it's a decent stepping stone.

Like # people like this
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2023

Thanks for sharing this @Neill Walker

I was also thinking about using releases instead of a custom field.

Decent stepping stone: I totally agree :-) But I'm currently looking into more specialized plugins that can do it better.

Michelle Melancon
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2023

@Charlie Misonne 

Hi Charlie, 

Thanks for the comment and feedback, I came to respond but @Neil Walker beat me to it. PI Planning with Advanced Roadmaps was designed for organizations using SAFe that might be smaller or who want to get started with implementing SAFe or some aspects of it. It could definitely be a stepping stone to Jira Align for organizations that grow out of it. I'd love to hear any additional feedback if you do decide to give this a try.  

Michelle

Like Charlie Misonne likes this
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2023

@Michelle Melancon thanks for sharing Atlassian's view on my concern. I really appreciate it.

I will definitely bring up Jira Align as a solution for mature SAFe organizations.

Like Michelle Melancon likes this
Jessica Piikkila
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2023
Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events