"We couldn't log you in"

Nina Levitin April 22, 2021

Hi! I am unable to access specific pages on Confluence. I've logged out and logged back in multiple times.

I am able to view the main homepage with the list of pages that I have access to. However, when I click on any of them, I'm faced with this...

we couldn't log you in.PNG

I've read other threads where others have also had this same issue, and sometimes it was in relation to something on Atlassian's end. Please assist, thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Nina Levitin 

Talk to atlassian support

https://support.atlassian.com/

There seems to be an incident

https://status.atlassian.com/

Cheers

Nina Levitin April 22, 2021

Thank you @Vero Rivas! I've tried to contact support and every time it leads me to this page. I also saw the incident you've sent - however, it was last updated (4) days ago so I'm curious if they're still working to resolve it or if it's been resolved. I was hoping for a support team member to take a look at my account to see if it's in relation to this incident or if it's a different problem since others in my organization have been able to log in.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated!

Julie Wozniak April 23, 2021

I am having the same exact issue. I'm also able to view the main homepage with the list of pages that I have access to. However, when I click on any of them, I'm faced with the same message about not being able to log in. 

Is there an update on this incident?

Like Nina Levitin likes this
Julie Wozniak April 23, 2021

@Nina Levitin I cleared my cache on my browser (I was using chrome), and now I as able to get everything working just fine. Try that, hope it works for you!

Nina Levitin April 23, 2021

@Julie Wozniak - that worked! Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.

Like Julie Wozniak likes this
Lamar Chastain April 29, 2021

I cleared cache in Chrome (multiple times), rebooted my machine multiple times.       It does trigger a new login, but when I login (password confirmed by logging into atlassian main page) and it goes back into the loop of "we couldn't log you in".     

I can access Confluence through MS Edge, but Chrome is my preferred browser and where I have all of my links.  

Lamar Chastain April 29, 2021

Capture.JPG

hsandt August 11, 2021

I still have this although most incidents seem to have been solved (the remaining issues are for Atlassian developers).

It only happens on one of my websites. The other (an instance shared by a colleague) is working fine.

I recently changed my email address, did anybody do the same here? Otherwise it may be unrelated.

They say they offer 1-to-1 support for premium users only, but if this affected many users in a short period of time, we can assume it's a generalized problem and Atlassian could just handle it as a Community issue.

Just post a message telling us how to send our account, server and project information privately so you can gather information from all users affected by the issue and find the common factor.

In the meantime, I found this: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Stuck-in-quot-We-couldn-t-log-you-in-quot/qaq-p/1660635 and the cause seemed to be that the user's account was (incorrectly) marked as spam. It had to be manually restored. So I'll ask there if it is my problem too.

UPDATE: OK, I managed to log in to my website for now but I had to open Chrome with a temporary profile / Firefox in private window or with -safe--mode. This suggests the issue lied either in my add-ons, or in my cache.

However, I did clear my cache and disabled my add-ons manually before, and that alone didn't work.

Chrome is a bit special, from the settings you can only cache for *all* websites and that is not convenient in my case as it would log me out of all the other websites. So I tried Ctrl+F5 / F12 to open dev panel + right-click on refresh button to clear Cache and Hard reload only this page, but still got stuck.

Firefox *does* allow cache clearing per domain, so I did that for atlassian domains, but it wasn't enough.

And for add-ons, I manually disabled them one by one (ad-blocker, JS blocker) but it wasn't enough (I disabled them from their own custom panel on a per-domain basis though, and found it to be unreliable on other websites too, so it's not just a Confluence thing). While safe mode / private window with no extensions at all guaranteed disabling.

In the end, I could login with both browsers, but only Firefox has a true safe mode that "remembers" the new login state, so after restarting it in normal mode, I could *stay* logged. While for Chrome, this was only temporary, so my main window still has the issue.

I guess I could fix it with Chrome by clearing the full cache when I have more time to relog on other websites, but I'll go on with Firefox for now. I don't know if other people with issues are using many extensions, but if my extensions are not able to fully disabled themselves then the issue lies in them, not Atlassian. They were possibly adding a layer of protection against cross-site request which I cannot disable.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events