Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pimp-up the "add Jira issue" feature in confluence with more fields & pre-populated & hidden project

Stefan Mueller January 7, 2019

Hi there,
We create meeting minutes in confluence and very often during the meeting we want to create jira issues for "action items".

We use the "insert Jira issue" into the confluence meeting minutes doc but it has a few limitations we'd like to overcome.

1. We always have to go in and set the project.
    If I am in the confluence space for the CraftClub project, we'd like to be able to have the "add Jira issue" feature (or a macro doing the same type of thing) default the correct project. Corresponding metadata are either given in the page.
    Pre-population itself should be that much of big deal according to How do I pre-populate text to a description field on JIRA Cloud version 7.x?
  2. In addition, we have a field in Jira that ties an action item to a specific meeting (Sept 19 status report meeting) and we'd like to have it added to the minutes triggered either in the current meeting or later via Jira.

3. The insert Jira issues toolbar button only allows you to define the summary and description of an issue. One of the most critical things that get defined during the meeting is the *owner* of the issue.
    Is there a way for me to add more fields so that when that dialogue comes up I can ask for the owner and perhaps 1-2 other project-relevant fields?

4. It shall be possible to add a task to projects which are hidden for the minute taker otherwise you have to switch the editor each time you add a task to a Jira project whereto the other side doesn't have access to.
    Can that be achieved somehow, e.g. by means of privileges exchange between the Conflunce page, using a customitzed Meeting Notes Blueprint template and a the hidden Jira project?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2019

Stefan,

You could try to pre-populate most of these things by using this procedure instead:

It allows you to specify key value pairs, so you can include exactly what you want in each issue's field if you wanted.

Then, you could build a JQL query that displays only specific issues in Jira. Perhaps include a label to show it was created from this page and include that in the search?

For some of your requirements, such as selecting the owner of the issue, then this wouldn't be possible since it changes. For that, I don't know of a suggestion, but I'll leave this thread open in case any other community members have a suggestion for you.

Regards,

Shannon

Stefan Mueller January 9, 2019

Hi Shannon,

thx for the input I will check tyour suggestion.

>For some of your requirements, such as selecting the owner of the issue, then this wouldn't be possible since it changes.

Why that in your referenced KB there is listed 

Assign To

assignee

Username

'admin' or 'sam@atlassian.com'

Reporter

reporter

Username

'admin' or 'sam@atlassian.com'
To have the reporter field default to the currently logged in user, the user must be logged in and must not have the Modify Reporter permission.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2019

Stefan,

I'm not clear on what is you are asking; could you please clarify? 

Earlier you mentioned that the owner of the issue would be set during the meeting. This would then mean that you cannot use the same URL each time, unless you manually edit it to include the owner you want to set for that meeting.

Can you let me know what your question is regarding the bit of our documentation that you quoted?

Shannon

Stefan Mueller January 14, 2019

> Earlier you mentioned that the owner of the issue would be set during the meeting.

that is correct so the URL has to be embedded in a dialogue where I can set the owner or react to typing "@" and other shortcuts.

>  question is regarding the bit of our documentation that you quoted?

the URL allows to set basically anything, all that it would need is dialogue or a reaction to shortcuts (as mentioned before). The URL has to be created dynamically, depending on the input/selection.

Another requirement has just arisen.  It shall be possible to add a task to projects which are hidden for the minute take otherwise you have to switch the editor each time you add a task where the other side doesn't have access to.
Can that be achieved somehow, e.g. by means of privileges exchange between the Conflunce page, using a customitzed Meeting Notes Blueprint template and Jira Project? 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2019

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for following up.

The ability to create issues via a URL in Confluence cannot be dynamic, so it does look like it won't meet your requirements here without including a bit of external code.

The quickest way is to create from a table using Jira Issues Macro, but as you mentioned, you still need to set the project and reporter and any other fields you require for your triggers.

Since you require the issue creation to change depending on the meeting notes, you may need to use a 3rd party add-on to create Jira issues. I'm not personally familiar with the add-ons listed in the above search query, but it would be worth looking into in order to see if they suit your needs.

Additionally, it may be something you can develop in-house. If you don't have the resources in-house, then I would recommend getting in touch with an Atlassian Partner, and they could develop something for your own use.

Regards,

Shannon

Stefan Mueller January 18, 2019

>The ability to create issues via a URL in Confluence cannot be dynamic, 
why if I create a dialogue what builds the URL and runs it against Jira at the end, it is the same if a user clicks on this URL manually, isn't it?

>you may need to use a 3rd party add-on to create Jira issues. 
haven't found a proper one yet. Moreover, we run the datacenter version, what limits the add-on choice.

>Additionally, it may be something you can develop in-house.
That will properly the case, some guidance would be appreciated

>getting in touch with an Atlassian Partner, and they could develop something for your own use.
Worst case scenarios, as is it's more difficult to get such a budget approved than for an add-on...

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 22, 2019

Hi Stefan,

1. Regarding your first question, I'm not sure I understand your question. The URL you create using this functionality is a set URL. However, it may be possible to build a similar URL using script, if that'w what you want to do.
  2. When you are able to find a proper add-on that works with Data Center, please feel free to share it here.
  3. If you do want to develop something in-house, then you may find assistance at our Developer Community. The Community here is more for end-users, so if you need guidance on developing for your Confluence instance, really the Developer Community is the best place. 

Regards,

Shannon

Stefan Mueller January 24, 2019

Hi Shannon,

1. how is the URL applied? In my understanding, it is either used by code or implemented in a website etc. where the user clicks on,  what in turn triggers the creation of the tasks as defined in the URL. 
  2. will do
  3. done -> The Atlassian Developer Community
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2019

Stefan,

You can apply the URL in any way you desire. In general, users will insert this in their HTML as a link, share directly with other users, insert into a Confluence page, etc. 

I hope that clarifies things for you!

Let us know if you have any additional questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events