Why is Firefox slow on editing a page and can't render some macros?

Thomas Keppler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2017

Hello!

I'm currently using Confluence 6.1.1 behind an Apache reverse proxy. All worked fine so far until I tried using it in Firefox. Editing a page takes considerable time (at least 15s of seeing the spinner) and when I want to render some macros like {info}, I get the error: 

Error while generating placeholder. Is the server available?

Everything works well in Safari and Chrome.

I have done a quick Google search and found this: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Error-while-generating-placeholder-Is-the-server-available/qaq-p/123752

I've followed the suggestion, but that didn't help :-/

Any other recommendations?

BTW: Since upgrading to 6.1.1 from 6.0.6 I get an error that my base URL couldn't be checked, even though everything is configured as per Atlassian's recommendations. I just disabled the plugin for now, but maybe that has something to do with it. While I did not have this error message in 6.0.6, Firefox had a sluggish behaviour there as well.

2 answers

0 votes
nicktruch January 18, 2018

I have exactly the same problem as described : "Error while generating placeholder. Is the server available?" when trying to use the {code} macro in Firefox an IE, everythings fine on Safari and Chrome.

I checked the page request and there is a "Firefox ne peut établir de connexion avec le serveur à l’adresse wss://wiki.univ-lyon2.fr/synchrony-proxy/v1/bayeux-sync1."

Any answer ?

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2017

As Atlassian changed the collaborative editing connection handling in 6.1 it could be related to this change. Firefox has/had a somewhat buggy websocket implementation. With 6.1 Confluence uses a XHR (Ajax) fallback, if websockets aren't working as designed. We've got a simliar configuration in our company & I already asked Atlassian, if we should change our proxy configuration in 6.1/6.2 to make use of the (better) XHR handling with Firefox. Did you check the page requests with Firebug? Any errors coming up?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events