Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Confluence Cloud for personal wiki?

Graeme September 3, 2019

My dilemma is that I am a sole trader maintaining a personal wiki in Confluence 5.10.8 on PostgreSQL and every 5 or so years I need to migrate that to a new laptop.

I have no skills in administering PostgreSQL and no wish to acquire them because I do not use this or any other DBMS for any other purpose.

So far my outlay has been $10 per year for a starter license which has been excellent value.

I've just started reading about Confluence Cloud which I believe I could access for $100 per year as 1 user.

Rather than me spending many hundreds of dollars and much time finding someone to take my Confluence 5.10.8 / PostgreSQL 9.2 database from a Windows 7 SP1 laptop and moving it to a Windows 10 for Workstations laptop at the latest Atlassian recommended Confluence / PostgreSQL versions, I am wondering whether it may be prudent for me to upload it to a Confluence Cloud account instead?

If so, is it as simple as me asking Atlassian to upload my Confluence/PostgreSQL data and start serving it to me on Confluence Cloud for $100 per year?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2019

@Graemethis is a good move. Things you need to consider are,

• Before you do this,
    • Get trial license of confluence cloud and get feel for it,
    • Make sure all plugins (if any) you use are available for cloud
    • Some part of UI is different on cloud get used to it
  • You have to upload your content to cloud yourself, Atlassian is not going to do that

I hope this help. You can also read this KB article ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/plan-your-confluence-server-to-cloud-migration-973480176.html ) it is written as enterprise focused but it can you many insights.

Graeme September 4, 2019

Thanks DPK J

I've now signed up for a trial of Confluence Cloud.

I've installed the Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant on Confluence 5.10.8 which seemed to go smoothly except that I'm having trouble getting to its first page.  I'm asking about that in a separate question.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2019

@Graemeyou are welcome.

Migration assistance take some time to open but it work fine on my instance. As you have installed it recently there is no question of version upgrade etc.

I suggest you check logs, if something unexpected is appearing there.

0 votes
Markus Nerding September 5, 2019

I am a Confluence (Server) Administrator for 3 years in my company and maintain a lot of Wikis. I also wanted to use the Cloud version for my personal Wiki and was willing to spend $100 per year. Unfortunately Cloud is a complete different product with different features, different editor and different user experience. I was not able to find a smooth way to use it although I love using Confluence the whole day in my company.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events