Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing my Confluence space with external users

Andra Fugaru September 7, 2022

Hello,

Can I grant view access on my Confluence page to someone who is a not a licensed user of my Organization Confluence instance? The anonymous access is enabled, and still not working to share the page.

Thank you!

Andra

3 answers

1 vote
Fredrik Kjemperud Olsen September 9, 2022

Hi, I am struggeling to find the correct updated information on this. Our site admin does not find the settings for public links as in your reference, @Kishan Sharma 

A quote from the info page linked by @Sakina:

• When you invite an external user, you grant them access to Confluence, not just to your page. We add them to the default product group and start billing you for the new user.

This does not sound like the feature that is awaited - i.e. what is stated in the name "public URL". I hope this information is completely wrong, and that there is a possibility to share confluence pages with, let's say clients, without having them buy a confluence subscription on their own. That really would push us back to using Google docs to send documents to our clients.

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Hi @Fredrik Kjemperud Olsen Can you please confirm if you are using Self Hosted (Server/Data Center) Confluence instance or Cloud ?

Fredrik Kjemperud Olsen September 15, 2022

Hi @Kishan Sharma ,

I can confirm we are using Cloud.

The guide you refered to earlier has the following list:

1. Select at the top-right of the navigation.

2. Select Settings.

3. Click Public links on the left.

We get stuck on the third point here - we cannot find Public links.
Neither is Settings a clickable thing - its a head in the tree menu on the left.
Maybe the guide is outdated - or mismatched to our version.

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Hi @Fredrik Kjemperud Olsen 

Public Links has been temporarily restricted to users that are already using the feature. The improved Public Links experience will be released separately, following shortly after the release of the new sharing experience. (Refer this link on how it will work). We are still awaiting a communication about specific dates and guidelines by when this will be available.

On re-release Public Links will be available to Confluence Standard and Premium customers.

Fredrik Kjemperud Olsen September 16, 2022

@Kishan Sharma 
Thanks for the information. I see the post is one year old and people are hungry for this feature.

However.
I also see that what is described here is indeed NOT public sharing. It is basically an invitation to access to pages, IF you have an atlassian account.
Meaning someone will be billed.

In other words, not the feature we, and many others are looking for.
But you probably are aware of that. I see several people comment exactly this on the page you linked to.

Fredrik Kjemperud Olsen September 16, 2022

I see there is mentioning from August 22 of Guest sharing in a beta stage. This might be what we are looking for but I don't really understand how this feature works. And the page which is linked to  beta guest sharing experience  is not accessable.

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

That's right @Fredrik Kjemperud Olsen will need to wait for Atlassian's response on this as they have mentioned that they will communicate specific dates by when this feature will be available.

1 vote
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2022

Hi @Andra Fugaru 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community! 

In Confluence Cloud you now have the possibility to use/configure Public Links. This way you can share content with external users without having to pay for extra license seats:

A public link is a special URL that directs to safe, view-only version of an individual Confluence page. Content on a page with public links can be viewed by and shared with anyone. This is a great way to share content with people like clients, vendors, and contractors without needing to pay for an extra seat on Confluence.

Public Links has been temporarily restricted to customers that are already using the feature, and the ability to share Public Links is off by default. Only Confluence and site admins can allow public links in Confluence settings. With public links allowed, users will have the choice to disable or enable public links on individual Confluence pages.

Refer - Share content externally with public links

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2022

Hi @Andra Fugaru 

Please mark the answer as accepted if it was helpful, it will help others looking for similar solution.

0 votes
Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events