Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See jira issues in confluence for non-jira users

Pat Condon April 15, 2015

Is Basis Authentication of Application Link a way to allow Confluence user (without JIRA access) to see a list of JIRA issues?

I don't want the Conlfuence user to be able to update or access the JIRA issue - just see the filter results

Thanks for your help

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2015

We have our JIRA instance set to be private so only employees can access it but we also wanted to show issues to anonymous users in Confluence. After much research and contacting Atlassian for support the answer was no, its not possible to have a private JIRA instance and still allow people who don't have access to it to view issues in Confluence. We would have had to open up our JIRA instance to the public but that was out of the question. 

In order for a user to see JIRA issues in Confluence they need to have permission to also view them in JIRA. The only time this doesn't apply is if you have your JIRA instance open to the public (anonymous in confluence). If you have your JIRA instance private then the user needs to exist in both systems in order to view issues.

7 votes
Erin Murtha February 11, 2020

Any update on this or workaround?  I want the customer to see the status of the tasks but without accessing our jira instance.  

6 votes
Deleted user February 5, 2020

Any update on this? I would need to be able to link Jira tickets into a client facing Confluence without giving them access to the developers project.

Alex Romano February 26, 2021

I'm in this conundrum as well.
I want them to see the summaries and a couple of other fields, but I cannot have them accessing the project descriptions or other fields.

Unfortunately, in order for them to view a dashboard of jira issues at all, they seem to have to be able to fully access the issues rather than just their summaries.

I need help too. :(

Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 1, 2021

It'd be interesting to know if the upcoming "External collaboration" feature in cloud will allow to see also Jira issues. There's a short video here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/External-collaboration-in-Confluence-Premium/ba-p/1538241

external-collab.png

Our commercial app Ronin Dashboards allows you to share externally Jira information. But if you just need that, try to contact somebody trying the beta of external collaboration and check if Jira issues are visible in a Confluence page.
Regards

2 votes
Riaan Schutte June 29, 2016

Has anyone got an alternative solution to this problem without making the JIRA project public?

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2017

Alternative:

On that particular Jira project add group "Anyone" to permission "Browse Projects"

This allows anonymous users (users without Jira login) to see Jira issues for this project. Confluence shows the issues too without a confluence login.

You need to decide yourself whether this permission is acceptable in your network / company.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2017
Riaan Schutte June 6, 2017

Thanks Mike, however I was wanting to know if there was an alternative solution "without making the JIRA project public". Your suggestion seems to make the jira project public. 

Atlassian, it would be great if you utilized sharing by unique links like youtube or google photos. So anyone with the link can view the confluence page and ALL of its contents (including JIRA issue links - but if they navigate to the link it will break if they dont have jira access)

This way it is like anonymous without the ability to search for it on google, only via a shared link.

Easy way to share reports and progress with customers on a project you are doing for them without giving them jira access which contains your estimates etc without needing to send weekly manual emails.

Like # people like this
Janine Cogle January 17, 2018

Hi Riaan

Did you manage to find a work around we are having the same issues.

Thanks.

Riaan Schutte January 24, 2018

Hi Janine, Unfortunately no...

Paul Dennis March 2, 2018

I also have this problem. If add anyone group to jira browse project perms the project issues become public

linda chehade March 29, 2018

Any work around on this issue guys, its not a option to make project public 

Janine Cogle March 29, 2018

Hi Linda. I have not found a work around yet, we have the same situation.

Wyatt Pegram May 2, 2018

So what's the purpose of having authenticated application links between the two systems if plugins can't use them? 

Riaan Schutte May 2, 2018

Hi Wyatt,

I second that. I suspect though the authenticated part is not the issue but rather their permissions system cannot easily allow for this - hence remove all permissions and make it public. (which is not a solution for many of us)

Mark Bowden July 12, 2018

Please tell me this isn't still an issue, the single reason for using (and in many cases tolerating) Confluence is to filter what comes out of Jira. 

Is there a way to do this without a Jira account and without making Jira public

Like # people like this
Riaan Schutte July 12, 2018

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately Im still not aware of any way to do this. But im not keeping up to date anymore if it is still an issue as I've accepted my fate on this and told customers there is currently no way.

If you have service desk with unlimited customer users which have 'organisation' groupings then you should be able to give that organisation access to a page as read only and maybe comments only.

But... 

0 votes
Pat Condon April 16, 2015

Thanks for your input.  It appears the user must have JIRA access unless JIRA is public and specific project/issue referenced in JQL in Confluence page has Browse Project (Anyone) permissions

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2015

Based on http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/07/display-jira-issues-in-confluence-more-power-more-control/ , you may Paste the URL of a JIRA filter into the Confluence editor to display the filter. 

You may also restrict the access of users to only view the issue using https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events