Link text field missing

Kim Abbott October 2, 2018

Issue is that SOMETIMES the Edit link pop-up is missing the Link text field, and only the Address field is present.  How to get it back?

Edit link no link text`.jpgEdit link with link text.jpg

See related issue and screenshot at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Confluence-v5-10-Insert-Link-Link-text-field-sometimes-missing/qaq-p/181967 .  He was reporting on an older version of Confluence, but I'm seeing this occur on 6.5.2 as well.  

3 answers

0 votes
Dani Flexer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 5, 2022

I am amazed that this issue is not fixed after 4 years!! It happens quite often, it should be trivial for Atlassian to reproduce and is incredibly annoying. Get it done folks! 

0 votes
Kim Abbott October 4, 2018

So it actually doesn't appear randomly, I can recreate it when I attempt to edit certain links on certain pages (haven't seen it on creating new links yet).  It's just that I don't know why some links do this while others do not.  And I am NOT able to bring the Link text field up on those links.  Can't. Never.  And on some of them there are no 

Also, I cannot find anything like what you show in your picture in my view source.  When I'm in edit mode, editing the link and selecting view page source, the only entry for field-group is shown below.  There is no match for "Address" either, so don't really know what I'm viewing in the source really.

Lastly, I can create some text that has characters, a dash and some numbers, highlight the text, click the link icon at top of page and get an Insert link dialog that has both Address and Link text (which includes all the text).  So don't need the workaround mentioned in your reply.

Lastly, I don't have access to any logs...I'm only a user, not an admin.  Don't really know who the admin is, this is a big company...

<script type="text/x-template" title="tableForm" id="table-form-template">
 <form id="tinymce-table-form" class="aui">
 <div class="field-group">
 <label for="rows">Rows</label>
 <input id="rows" name="rows" type="text" size="3" autocomplete="off" value="{0}">
 </div>
 <div class="field-group">
 <label for="cols">Columns</label>
 <input id="cols" name="cols" type="text" size="3" autocomplete="off" value="{1}">
 </div>
 <div class="field-group hidden">
 <input id="width" type="hidden" name="width" value="">
 <label for="width">Width</label>
 </div>
 <div class="group">
 <div class="checkbox">
 <input id="table-heading-checkbox" class="checkbox" type="checkbox" name="heading" checked="checked" value="true">
 <label for="table-heading-checkbox">First row is heading</label>
 </div>
 </div>
 <div class="group hidden">
 <div class="checkbox">
 <input id="table-equal-width-columns-checkbox" class="checkbox" type="checkbox" name="equal-width-columns" value="false">
 <label for="table-equal-width-columns-checkbox">Equal width columns</label>
 </div>
 </div>
 </form>
 </script>
0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2018

Hello, Kim.

Since you mentioned that the issue occurs randomly, it will be good if we can gather more information to shed more light on it. 

• Trace for any log entries in atlassian-confluence.log that appears when the issue was reproduced
  • View the page source to confirm if the field is completely missing from the page or otherwise. For example:

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 11.05.20.png

Some questions around this:

• Is this issue happening when you try to edit the link only or even when you are trying to add new links too?
  • When the issue occurs, what did you perform to bring back the Link text field? Is it by refreshing the page again or just close and edit the link again?

Additionally, do you happen to be in the similar scenario as mentioned by Scott in the question you shared?

The workaround is to ensure you don't select non-alpha characters before pressing Insert Link. You can then enter the non-alpha characters in the dialog's Link text field.

Keep me posted.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events