Is it possible to use Confluence as a private community wiki?

Julie Kuhrt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 11, 2021

I am a community content manager that is looking to build a knowledge hub/content wiki where our community members can share and contribute creating resources. 

We use Confluence internally, but I was thinking that maybe Confluence could also be a solution for our community. The only thing that I am unsure about is being able to track how community members contribute. For example if we build the frame for a resource I'd love to have our community members contribute and be able to see who contributes, in what ways, and also offer a sort of reviewing process. Is this possible in Confluence? And/or are there any plugins that would help accomplish this? 

2 answers

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

@Julie Kuhrt would community members have licenses and have to login or would they just have anonymous access? 

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2021

Hello Julie and welcome to the Community!

This is a great question, and to showcase that it's not the first time someones wanted to try this. There have been a couple of posts similar to your ask, which may be found here:

Additionally, there are marketplace apps that can enable you to transform your Confluence site into a Community space. Here is a preset search of our marketplace here: Atlassian Marketplace: Search Community.

The one item that comes to mind that you have to be aware of is licensing since each user that will access Confluence (without anonymous access) will require their own license.

If you want to enable anonymous access, you may not be able to have direct user interaction as they won't be logged in and their activities recorded as themselves.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events