How to add a default field prepopulated with some texts?

ashad peal April 10, 2022

We are using some predefined abbreviations in Labels field, like- DEVE , MEET, REPT etc.

DEVE- New Software/feature development
MEET- Time spent for meeting Task
REPT- Effort related to Regular business reports for management.

I want to show these abbreviations at the time of issue creation by any user.
How can I show these abbreviations prepopulated in any field at the time of creating any issue by users?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

You cannot yet pre-populate values before the issue is created. Untested, but you can tweak it by sending the parameters via the URL—not great, though. Have you explored options to set the value after creating the issue?

I couldn't find any solutions yet to show the abbreviations after/before creating an issue.
To show the definitions anywhere in project menu is fine for me. 

Screenshot 2022-04-11 105637.png

There is a solution to show custom message in server and data center platforms.

Add a custom message to the Create Issue screen in Jira server 

But we are using cloud version for our organization.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2022

You can add a description to your field, but it will affect all projects sharing the same field configuration, so you would need to make it unique to your project. It will display on the create issue screen, but the "new issue view" shows in the informational icon—not easily findable, in my opinion.

Are those three options the only ones? Why don't you use a select list custom field with these options only? You can set multiple contexts with different options for different projects/issue types and default values. You can still have separate descriptions, but the same rules I mentioned apply.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events