Having trouble getting RSS Feed to work

Alexandra Huang January 24, 2018

I am trying to add an RSS feed to a Slack channel (I have successfully done so in the past for other RSS feeds) but for some reason I keep getting the error that the feed I am using is not a valid feed URL :(

The RSS url is made from a private oAuth Confluence site... it does require authentication (as it should) and I made SURE my log in was correct... any ideas on what I could do?  We authenticate to Confluence using our GSuite credentials.

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 10.23.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 10.23.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-24 at 10.24.21 AM.png

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Alexandra Huang January 26, 2018

I got an explanation from Slack support:

So here's the issue. That link that you sent requires that the user be logged into Atlassian and is not using Basic Authentication which is what those RSS Authentication fields support. You can check this by browsing to that Confluence RSS page from within an incognito/private browser window.

Basic Authentication does not use site login credentials, but instead, it's a simple modal popup window that requires credentials just to access that page.You can see an example of Basic Authentication on the following page where the Username and Password values should both be "guest".

https://jigsaw.w3.org/HTTP/Basic/

I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you on getting past the required Atlassian login to access the Confluence RSS feed pages. You may want to check with Atlassian to find out if they support generating RSS feeds that use Basic Authentication instead.

So sad...

2 votes
Derrick L November 15, 2022

For anyone running into this issue, the username is your email, and the password is the API token in the Authentication issue.

https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/manage-api-tokens-for-your-atlassian-account/

Welisson Luiz de Oliveira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 18, 2024

It worked here, thank you very much!!

0 votes
Amanda Stockwell July 6, 2018

We're seeing something similar, and I have a hunch that it's related to the fact Confluence has their own application (paid) to post to slack. Sad that they'd cut users off like this 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events