Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to PDF: How to add Section Numbering so that I can use "See Section 1.1.2"?

Bill Altmann February 23, 2018

I am trying to export to a PDF so that the PDF can then be printed on paper.

Viewing and navigating a document on a display works with text links. However, this does not work with a paper document. I prefer to use numbered sections (as well as numbered Figures and Tables, with captions), so that the user can know roughly where in the document they need to turn to find the referenced section. A link which reads "See the section on Adopting Pets" is not very helpful in a long document. Much preferred is "See Section 2.3.4 on Adopting Pets".

In a related vein, I have not found a way to put references to page numbers as cross-reference links into the PDF. I cannot include "See the section on Adopting Pets beginning on page 33," to continue the preceding example.

I have not found any means of adding numbers to headings, nor to captions. Although the export function puts numbers at headings in the Table of Contents, they are not repeated through the document.

There have been many posts already on this topic, but no complete answers.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

@Bill Altmann, check this out: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.k15t.scroll.scroll-pdf/server/overview

It's an add-on by k15t software for pdf exports from confluence.  A colleague of mine was having a number of problem with the native pdf export and Scroll PDF work wonders for him.

pjd

0 votes
alexander.hipe August 3, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events