Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbered Section Headings

Jill July 25, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Page Layouts, Columns and Sections

My company is going to Confluence and the customer has specific formatting for all documentation. How do Tech writers insert/use numbered headings (e.g., 1.0 SECTION TITLE, 1.1 Subsection Title, 1.1.1, Sub-subsection title) in Confluence?

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2016

Natively, you don't - numbered headings aren't particularly pretty or useful on web-based docs, so Confluence doesn't have them built in. 

They do work better on paper and a lot of people print, so you can probably guess that there's an add-on for them.  There may be others, but the one I've used most is https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/nl.avisi.confluence.plugins.numberedheadings/cloud/overview

Some of the export add-ons also allow you to add them (Scroll export is the one I've used, and that's ideal - numbered headings when printing them, none when just viewing)

pat madea February 4, 2021

So Nic... I know this is an old post and I agree with your sentiment: numbered headings aren't pretty or useful on web-based docs but they do work better on paper/print.

I'm using the Content Exporter add-in for Confluence and it generates a PDF with a TOC with section numbers preceding the heading even though the headings do not have numbers.  Is there a way to get the section numbers to appear in the PDF preceding the section headings (like they appear in the TOC)?

madea

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

I know this is an old post, but Adaptavist built numbered headings into the Content Formatting macros a while ago, and I moved on to using that when they did.

0 votes
alexander.hipe August 3, 2022

Use the heading.

It looks like 

1 Introduction - for example then enter

Use the indention here. Then save and check the result.

alexander.hipe August 3, 2022

Update:

I got this result.

How?

image.png

1. Intro - Header 1 sample

2. Topic sample - Header 1 sample

2.1 Sub topic 1 - Header 2 sample

2.2 Sub topic 2  - Header 2 sample

image.png

0 votes
Nancy Jaiswal September 12, 2018

Auto Numbered Headings https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1219286  can be used for applying and removing heading numbers in just a single click of button for whole space. It works well for web pages as well as exported content. It also provides a macro in case numbering needs to be applied on only selective pages.

Riju Jacob April 4, 2019

the link is not working for me..can you please help me with a working link

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events