Confluence Default Theme: Change Font Size used in Sidebar

Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

Hi

For years (?) my chosen theme for Confluence has been the Documentation theme. However, with the introduction/expansion of Blueprint and the sidebar capabilities (such as space short-cuts) I'm looking to move back to the Default Confluence Theme (this will be undertaken when we upgrade from 5.2.x to 5.3.x).

My one observation made during testing, is that the Default Theme Sidebar font is larger than that used by the Documentation theme. My QA team has asked whether the font size for the sidebar and only the side bar can be adjusted to something slightly smaller. I know the change is cosmetic, non functional, but I do sympathise with the request. In our instance we have quite a deep tree structure and in some areas some long page titles. The end result is that operators navigating using the sidebar (configured for page tree mode), are being forced to expand the sidebar area to see the page name, then contract it to see the content of the page..this then repeats when they return to the navigation. I'm aware the sidebar can be collapsed, but that's not a desirable state for the requirement.

Is changing the font size possible?

Many thanks!

Gavin.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

You can add custom CSS in the Confluence Administration to override the font size(Confluence Admin --> Look and Feel --> Stylesheet). For instance to override just the nav tree portion of the side bar this should work.

.ia-fixed-sidebar .ia-secondary-container .label {font-size: 9px;}

Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2013

Many thanks Davin! I'm not too familar with CSS, the following syntax work for my needs (as it resembles the font-size being used in the Documtnation theme I'm migrating away from), this applies change to the entire sidebar navigation (as far as i can see). great stuff!

.ia-fixed-sidebar {font-size: 0.9em;}

0 votes
Andreas Rudischhauser May 15, 2019

I think this does not apply anymore? At least I cannot find any stylesheet except the pdf stylesheet options...

Judy Bergstresser October 23, 2019

I have a similar need - we use the default theme but I want to change the sidebar display to show all child pages. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Customize-sidebar-of-default-theme/qaq-p/18321 shows how to change text wrapping iin the default theme sidebar using CSS in the stylesheet configuration - so the method is consistent - just need the correct code or macro.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events