Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility with SQL Server 2017

Kanan Osmanli November 23, 2017

We want to upgrade our JIRA databases to the new SQL Server 2017 instance for better availibility and performance at our company. Is there any planning regarding support of SQL Server 2017 for newer versions of JIRA in future? Can we wait for a new version release which will be compatible with SQL Server 2017 database?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Orzaiz (Atlassian)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2017

Hey Kanan,

Unfortunately none of the JIRA versions support MSSQL Server 2017 as of yet.

There's a suggestion ticket opened in our system already. Please add yourself as a watcher and vote the issue for it to have more visibility. Being a watcher on a ticket means that you will get notified by all the updates posted on the ticket so you can follow the progress done on the ticket.

Here is the link for the suggestion ticket opened.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Martin

Kanan Osmanli November 24, 2017

Thanks very much, Martin. I have added a vote and watching these issues from now. I hope the priority of these tickets will be raised as soon as possible, because "Low" priority is not the level of this type of problems.

2 votes
peter_culka June 8, 2018

Please, any update on this? SQL Server 2017 is needed!

1 vote
Lukas Ellerkamp July 11, 2018

Realting to Peter's post, I also want to know the support date for SQL Server 2017.

We have just updated to a MS SQL 2017 and want to install JIRA for the first time.

peter_culka July 20, 2018

There's a hack to run SQL Server 2017 in Compat mode.

It isn't supported though, meaning if anything goes wrong, you can dig down deep into JIRA and debug it yourself :/

1 vote
ISB Operations May 4, 2018

Do you have a timeframe for when SQL Server 2017 support is coming?
I see with the 7.9 release in April SQL Server 2016 support was added

0 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2019

A relevant update on the matter: Starting with Jira 8.2.0, Jira supports Microsoft SQL Server 2017.

David Woodson June 14, 2019

Well we took the bullet and have been using sql2017 for about close to 2 years without any issues.

But since it was not possible to use sql2017 purchasing and setting up another server (on premise) we had no choice but to try sql2017 and to date no issues.

Of course we are using Jira in a simple configuration, but to date have had not issues.  We are not running in compatibility mode.

With regards to 2019 that is a wait and see.  I am glad that Atlassian is again supporting the Jira tool, but to with regards to the comments of SOOO many people, we don't have separate MS SQL server for Confluence and Jira.  Hence don't understand why Atlassian is not supporting Jira in the same way they support Confluence, when Jira supports a SQL back end then so should Confluence.  MS put sooo much into 2019 that we are very suspicious as to how bug free this version is.  But for now we are NOT adopting 2019 and see how others experience with 2019 is.

My 2 cents.

Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2019

Edited my comment. I made a horrible freudian slip. Sorry! I mean 2017, not 2019. 

David Woodson June 14, 2019

WOW I was wondering!!!!!  Like what?  Altassian is announcing support for MS 2019 at or around the time MS releases 2019 for production! Wow a first!!! and VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Have had fun writing this,

I am VERY pleased with the MS SQL 2017 support.  This is in someway much more welcome.

Hopefully sooner that later Atlassian will support MS SQL 2019 as it works both on Linux and Windows.  For many this will be very important as we look to move to the cloud and Linux being sooo much cheaper than Windows.  Of course MS SQL is not cheap but if it turns out to be efficient under Linux, moving from a MS SQL to MS SQL database is so simple it should work well, if they support the same binary files.

I will check it out and upgrade our instances in due time.

Thank you!!!!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Dwayne Pierre March 15, 2019

Hi any updates on this?

We have JIRA v7.7.0 and JIRA Service Desk Application v3.10.0 running on Windows server 2016 and SQL 2014 

and would like to upgrade to 

Server 2019  and SQL 2017 

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2019
Like Igor Valencic likes this
0 votes
jost March 6, 2018

@Martin Orzaiz (Atlassian) There is posibility to run SQL server 2017 witch 2014 combatibility mode. Will this configuration works properly?

My company migrate to SQL 2017 and i wonder if i have to maintain one serwer in 2014 and second in 2017 OR can i migrate to SQL 2017 wich 2014 compatibility mode?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

It will probably work.  But it will NOT be supported, so we can't recommend that you do it.

Deleted user October 23, 2018

You'd need to spin up a new test instance on 2017, alter the compatibility level to 2014, then perform rigorous testing of the entire application, workflows and plugins. Don't forget attachments and mail handlers.

(This is also why it takes time for vendors to give the all clear).

P.S. SQL 2019 is around the corner, but still who is game to go with v1 of MSFT SQL.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events