Benefit of linking a JIRA project to a confluence space?

Fabian Toth September 8, 2013

Hi,

i have read some questions here about what the benefits of linking a jira project to a confluence space are. There is always the same answer from Rian Josua Masikome [Atlassian] which does not answer this question. Can anybody tell me what the benefits are? What changes are there concretly if i have linked a confluence space to a jira project? I don't recognize them...

This Anser from Rian does not help...

Hi,

Last time in prior to Conlfuence 3.5, this link exist for better linking between Confluence Space and JIRA Project, such that when Project that has name PROJECT link to certain space in Confluence, you can just type issue key of that project in any page of that space and it will be linked to that issue in JIRA. For example if you type PROJECT-123 in any page, it will be automatically linked to Confluence. However, this is not the case anymore after 3.5, there's a bug report regarding this issue.

Prior to Atlassian OnDemand, on JIRA Studio, we do have this feature to link between Project and Space, so that it can be easily accessed just like you mentioned. However it didn't work on stand alone Confluence. Which is why the benefit of the Entity link which is between project to space is only that for the time being.

Hope this information helps.

Cheers,
Josua

Thanks a lot!

3 answers

2 votes
Brad Barwick February 13, 2017

When a Confluence space and a JIRA project are linked, you can:

Create a retrospective into the space when closing a sprint.

Create a release report into the space when releasing from a Kanban board.

ispyinternet August 28, 2019

Although I have linked a jira project to my confluence space, when I create retrospective, the confluence create dialogue defaults to my personal space and I have to select the project space? 

Confluence server 6.14.3

Jira server 7.13.0

Like D Wilson likes this
D Wilson September 3, 2019

I get the same result when I close a sprint and start a retrospective.

2 votes
Kerrin Hardy October 22, 2013

So why is this function still part of Confluence? Surely the 'Integrations' section of Space Admin should be depracated if the above is correct.

2 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2013

Hi there,

Sorry for the unclear explanation. Despite I am not working in Confluence now, I would be happy to clarify more on the answer on the time written.

Prior to Confluence 3.5, you could link Project and Space so that whenever you type JIRA issue key in any page in Confluence's page, it will be automatically linked to JIRA's issue. As long as the Space is linked to JIRA's project. However this feature has issue in Confluence 3.5 or higher due to upgrade in Application Link plugin.

As per the answer written, essentially there's no concrete benefit on the linkage of JIRA Project and Confluence Space as the feature can't be used anymore. It' served as Information to the Space Administrator that this particular Confluence Space is related to certain JIRA project. This issue has been closed as Won't Fix due to a couple of features introduced, which one of them is autoconvert feature, that will convert any JIRA Link to JIRA Issues macro, whenever the link is pasted into Confluence Page as long as you have the Application link configured.

Hope this clears your doubt, and if anything unclear please do not hesitate to ask :)

Cheers,
Josua

Fabian Toth September 8, 2013

Hi, thanks for your quicky answer! =)

Ok if i understand this right now, the only real benefit is to see that a project is related to a space. The Jira links will also autoconverted if the space is not connected to the jira project ...

Like # people like this
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2013

Yes, that's right Fabian.

The autoconvert will convert any issues to JIRA Issue Macro despite there's no link between Confluence Space and JIRA project. However you need to make sure that the link is working correctly. Usually there would be issue if you have proxies or any redirection running in front of your JIRA or Confluence.

liufeng October 27, 2018

So “Getting More from JIRA Software” course needs to update!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events