Difference between "Application Link" and "Linked Space" between JIRA and Confluence?

moxin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

I have already created an "Application Link" between "JIRA" and "Confluence" and added it to trusted application, so they can communicate between each other.

Now, in "Confluence">"Space Admin">"Application Links" there is an option to create "Linked Space".
What is this going to do? If one can already browse "JIRA" issue and use them in "Conflence", what would enabling the 'Project to Space Application link' do?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Hi,

Last time in prior to Conlfuence 3.5, this link exist for better linking between Confluence Space and JIRA Project, such that when Project that has name PROJECT link to certain space in Confluence, you can just type issue key of that project in any page of that space and it will be linked to that issue in JIRA. For example if you type PROJECT-123 in any page, it will be automatically linked to Confluence. However, this is not the case anymore after 3.5, there's a bug report regarding this issue.

Prior to Atlassian OnDemand, on JIRA Studio, we do have this feature to link between Project and Space, so that it can be easily accessed just like you mentioned. However it didn't work on stand alone Confluence. Which is why the benefit of the Entity link which is between project to space is only that for the time being.

Hope this information helps.

moxin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

humm.. thanks for clearing this up.

SABVARX April 9, 2018

I was wondering about that as well. Thank you for the good explanation. Just how bad, that this feature disappeared...

0 votes
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2014
0 votes
Anil Gunturu November 24, 2013

Likewise. Wondering how one can easily navigate from Jira project to associated confluence space.

0 votes
Kerrin Hardy October 22, 2013

I am interested in this too!

We have linked a specific Confluence space with a specific JIRA project and cannot see any difference. I was expecting at least a quick link section or something but can't see that it has make any change at all.

Anyone from Atlassian able to shed any light on this?

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

you can link a confluence space to a jira project.

requires that application link between both apps is set up.

moxin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

What would that do, don't creating an 'Application link' does the same thing.
I mean, user can already browse JIRA issues and post them in Confluence.
Can't figure out what 'Linking Space to Project' is.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

oh ok.

see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Adding+Project+Links+between+Applications

you will associate a space with a project. i never played arround with that one...but i assume it will bring som benefits...i will check for more details

there you go:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/APPLINKS030/Application+Links+Documentation

You also can associate entities of two linked applications. For example, you could associate a JIRA project with a Confluence space. This allows you to take advantage of additional integration features like link rendering, which lets you create links to issues or pages in the project or space using a simple textual reference, e.g. [JRA-1234], [myConfluenceSpace:Test Page].

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013
moxin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

Still can't figure out. I have created the 'Linked Space' but can't say the difference.
thanks for your time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events