Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager Self-Update Plugin not registered with Marketplace

Funny that 'upgrade check' in Confluence says this about com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-selfupdate-plugin

These add-ons have not been registered with the Atlassian Marketplace, so their compatibility with Confluence 5.1.5 is unknown. We recommend performing your own testing before you proceed.

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Sergey,

The self-update plugin is designed to uninstall itself immediately after updating the UPM. As a result, you should never really see it in your installed plugins list, and there's no reason for us to register it on Marketplace.

Somehow, the process must have been interrupted and the uninstall didn't happen. You can go ahead and safely uninstall the self-update plugin.

Once in awhile, human error comes into play. I have seen this type of error for Atlassian products all the time.

Here is an example of one that I reported.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/188850/why-is-remotable-plugins-i18n-plugin-showing-up-as-an-user-installed-add-ons

John, I am sorry you felt hurt by the truth(voting down my answer), but bugs do exist. Why would HipChat exist in my user installed list, since I never downloaded HipChat even to experiment with. By your definition, the UPM should not show up either, but it does.

Personally, I do believe UPM should show up in the User-installed list since I can install it from the marketplace and I can uninstall it without huring normal operations.

The only reason why Sergey got his error is because of an UPM plugin configuration error or the UPM was not updated yet to reflect the new configuration. In either case, human failures.

Oh, BTW I am running Jira 6.1.7.

No worries Norman-- I only downvoted your answer because I wanted to surface my more specific reply. Sergey is referring specifically to the presence of the UPM's self-update plugin, which is a transient plugin that is supposed to uninstall itself immediately, and in his case did not.

I agree that UPM is a bit wonky on occasion when it tries to distinguish user-installed vs. system plugins.

Okay, the self-update is part of the UPM and it was broken around the UPM 2.7.X releases. Sergey should check that he has an UPM installed. Looking back at my notes, I needed to manually install the UPM after removing the self-update plugin to get things back to normal.

Wow, how would the app even work without UPM?

The UPM really simplifies installation and status reproting for plugins. You can manually install any plugin. There are rare instances when you need to do that.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

359 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you