I see that the guides say I have to choose "Template" then "Add instructional text" from the toolbar. But i do not see these options when i try to create the template. Is there another way to add instructional text into the template?
Yes, but it apparently got renamed to "Placeholder Text" and has been moved to the "Insert" menu. See this answer: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Adding-Instructional-Text-onto-a-New-template-using-new-style/qaq-p/1018770
Looks like the documentation hasn't been updated yet
OK, here comes the rant...
I mean really just amazing poor documentation. I'm trying to make use of Confluence as a central hub of knowledge for our company while trying to learn it (previous experience was with a much older hosted version) and just can't believe how much the documentation is just wrong all over the place.
It would be great if Atlassian would add more pictures to the instructions so we can at least realize right out of the gate the documentation is out of date. Just saying things like...
To insert instructional text:
... without an image to clue you into the outdated material causes the user to hunt trying to find where you have gone wrong in the interface until you realize the documentation is just wrong.
Images or something like will likely greatly increase maintenance but it will also immediately let your customers know the state of the documentation. I'd take that over customer anger/frustration anytime.
There's also supposed to be additional functionality to it in the same outdated doc (https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/blueprints-and-user-created-templates-724764985.html), but there's no obvious way of changing the "placeholder" to different options besides text;
You can also change the placeholder type from Text to either:
- User mention – Opens the user mention dialog.
- Jira Macro – Opens a dialog that allows you to create a new Jira issue, or search for one or more Jira issues to include on the page.
just to add some more things to the list that I've tried and haven't been working:
* select a written text ==> click on placeholder text ==> text disappears, placeholder box appears ==> same behaviour with a placeholder text which was initiallly created (you enter the text, click somewhere else and the box is gone for good)
* copy an old instructional text from an old template with the old editor still showing ==> only comes out as italic text in the new template
I saw some suggested solutions that include variables and a tiny bit of code, so not too bad. But to be honest I just want a functionality that is working properly and is described properly.
- Create your own custom emoji 🔥 - "Shake for Feedback" on mobile 📱 - An endless supply of GIFs via GIPHY 🤩 Is there anything quite as nice as a pleasant surprise? Comment below with what...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events