It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Adding Instructional Text onto a New template using new style editor

I'm trying to add Instructional text to my new templates, but can't see how to do it. I've searched the Confluence documentation and Community Questions, but all I can find are references to opening the Template, clicking on Page Layout, and then selecting Add Instructional Text.

I don't see these options when I create or Edit a template.

I believe I'm using the new style editor (because my screen looks different to screen shots I've seen on other questions). I've attached a screen shot.image.png

Any help or direction much appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted

Ah - I think what I actually need to use is 'Placeholder Text', which is accessible from the 'Insert /' menu in the top bar when creating / editing a Template.

Presumably this is a rename of the Instructional text in the earlier editor which is why I couldn't find any reference to it.

Hope this is helpful to someone else.

image.png

I can't see the option

Can't see this either.

Ok. Found it.

So this only appears in Create New Template. And not in "Create New Page". Which makes sense really. I would like to see though an option in create new page for "make template from page".

Like # people like this

I've got this placeholder text but it doesn't work how I expected it to when actually creating the page from the template I created. 

I try and overtype but it's just not working like the "out-of-the-box" templates.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Like # people like this

I've also found the text doesn't get replaced/selected as expected and you have to click several times to type into it when creating a new page from the template. Anyone else having this issue?

Like # people like this

I'm having the same issue as well.

One of my co-workers was complaining about this, too, a few days ago. Seems to not be an isolated case.

I opened a support ticket, and the analyst said it is a documented bug:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67333

The bug is currently marked as low priority, but I'm trying to get its priority bumped up a little bit since it isn't a minor issue for us with our reliance on templates for critical change management and IT asset tracking forms.  The instructional text in those templates is important in terms of prompting users to provide correct information when filling out the forms.

I've been told that Atlassian tends to prioritize bug fixes based on the number of support incidents received on the same issue (versus votes on the Bug ticket or community posts).  If others are experiencing this bug and haven't filed a ticket with Atlassian Support, it might be helpful to do so to create additional visibility.

I'm hoping to get my company to adopt Confluence, and my VP of Engineering mentioned this bug (in a negative light, obviously) when doing his first investigations of the system. Thanks for your tip, Mark—I'll try submitting my own request rather than upvoting the bug you filed.

I've found that it works only if you hit the "enter' key.  No tabbing/clicking out of the cell, or it doesn't save the placeholder text you're trying to enter.

Like # people like this

thank you for the image, In the Dutch localisation this is so horribly translated (something like "location description"). The image made it clear, thank you.

@Dena Sekel Thank you!  You answered the problem I was having!

Any idea how to pre-fill a date (in the title) and users, like used on built-in meeting notes template? Has this also been renamed, or forgotten? 

+1 on same question

Like Sergej_Glavan likes this

Only available for blueprints and you cant create your own blueprints on Confluence Cloud.

Like Frank_Neidhöfer likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

How is your team having fun and bonding, remotely, utilizing Confluence?

Thanks everyone for answering last week’s question. The winner of the random drawing from those who commented is: @LarryBrock I’ll contact you separately with your prize details. This wee...

283 views 9 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you