Adding Instructional Text onto a New template using new style editor

Lucy Jiwa February 26, 2019

I'm trying to add Instructional text to my new templates, but can't see how to do it. I've searched the Confluence documentation and Community Questions, but all I can find are references to opening the Template, clicking on Page Layout, and then selecting Add Instructional Text.

I don't see these options when I create or Edit a template.

I believe I'm using the new style editor (because my screen looks different to screen shots I've seen on other questions). I've attached a screen shot.image.png

Any help or direction much appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Lucy Jiwa February 27, 2019

Ah - I think what I actually need to use is 'Placeholder Text', which is accessible from the 'Insert /' menu in the top bar when creating / editing a Template.

Presumably this is a rename of the Instructional text in the earlier editor which is why I couldn't find any reference to it.

Hope this is helpful to someone else.

image.png

Kote Khutsishvili July 8, 2019

I can't see the option

Like Janet Kandler likes this
Sergej Glavan July 16, 2019

Worked for me.

Morten Rougne August 6, 2019

Can't see this either.

Like Noah Tsutsui likes this
Morten Rougne August 7, 2019

Ok. Found it.

So this only appears in Create New Template. And not in "Create New Page". Which makes sense really. I would like to see though an option in create new page for "make template from page".

Like # people like this
Martin Huggett August 9, 2019

I've got this placeholder text but it doesn't work how I expected it to when actually creating the page from the template I created. 

I try and overtype but it's just not working like the "out-of-the-box" templates.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Like # people like this
Pete Woolley October 7, 2019

I've also found the text doesn't get replaced/selected as expected and you have to click several times to type into it when creating a new page from the template. Anyone else having this issue?

Like # people like this
Mark Stramaglia October 17, 2019

I'm having the same issue as well.

Chad Carrier October 18, 2019

One of my co-workers was complaining about this, too, a few days ago. Seems to not be an isolated case.

Like Matt Bush likes this
Mark Stramaglia October 18, 2019

I opened a support ticket, and the analyst said it is a documented bug:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67333

The bug is currently marked as low priority, but I'm trying to get its priority bumped up a little bit since it isn't a minor issue for us with our reliance on templates for critical change management and IT asset tracking forms.  The instructional text in those templates is important in terms of prompting users to provide correct information when filling out the forms.

I've been told that Atlassian tends to prioritize bug fixes based on the number of support incidents received on the same issue (versus votes on the Bug ticket or community posts).  If others are experiencing this bug and haven't filed a ticket with Atlassian Support, it might be helpful to do so to create additional visibility.

Chad Carrier October 18, 2019

I'm hoping to get my company to adopt Confluence, and my VP of Engineering mentioned this bug (in a negative light, obviously) when doing his first investigations of the system. Thanks for your tip, Mark—I'll try submitting my own request rather than upvoting the bug you filed.

Dena Sekel October 21, 2019

I've found that it works only if you hit the "enter' key.  No tabbing/clicking out of the cell, or it doesn't save the placeholder text you're trying to enter.

Like # people like this
Henk Smets April 10, 2020

thank you for the image, In the Dutch localisation this is so horribly translated (something like "location description"). The image made it clear, thank you.

Carol Defibaugh April 22, 2020

@Dena Sekel Thank you!  You answered the problem I was having!

Like Dena Sekel likes this
Katie Minks June 5, 2020

At least currently Any text you put in the place holder text macro won't populate when you go to create a page from your template using the create page template macro.

Brannon Fay March 1, 2023

Thank you!  Not obvious compared to the previous method.  It floats on top while editing and it doesn't look like it can be edited once you hit enter to commit it to the template.  Odd change in what was working well.  At least what you shared shows how to get this new 'feature' working.  Thanks again!

Like Eliana Sarmiento likes this
Gabriela Koleva December 4, 2023

Does anyone know if I can use this or similar option in Jira Software instead of Confluence?

3 votes
Markus April 29, 2019

Any idea how to pre-fill a date (in the title) and users, like used on built-in meeting notes template? Has this also been renamed, or forgotten? 

Peter Dunham July 26, 2019

+1 on same question

Like Sergej Glavan likes this
Sergej Glavan August 7, 2019

+1

Matt Lovett October 7, 2019

Only available for blueprints and you cant create your own blueprints on Confluence Cloud.

Chad Carrier October 8, 2019

<facepalm>

Like Frank Neidhöfer likes this
Katie Minks June 5, 2020

If you use the create page from template macro, you can put @currentDate in the title section and the current date will appear at the beginning of the title for the new page that would be created.  That's one place you can do that without having to create a new blueprint.

Matt Bush January 14, 2021

This is not working when using the Confluence Cloud version.  Getting the "Placeholder Text" into a template is clumsy and requires multiple clicks.  That name/style is not as meaningful/clear as "Instructional Text" btw.  Once you get it in (edit experience is horrible!) I generated page containing the "Placeholder" text parts doesn't show them instead those areas are blank.

I have been using Atlassian products now for 6 years.  I have noticed that Confluence has had only marginal improvements over that time.

Providing documentation, procedures, policies, forms, how-tos, guides are essential activities for most businesses.  Confluence could be a major part of those activities.  More and more I am finding the Atlassian products are not being maintained and are being left behind by other products 😡   I see that many of the bugs get left non-actioned for multiple years.

I had personally evangelised Atlassian Jira + Confluence into my current company and I am now regretting that.

I think Google Docs used with Adobe PDF Forms might be a better way to go.

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events