Adding Labels at the text level

Audrey Schiffhauer December 10, 2018

Hello! I am trying to create a page where users can sort terms by their respective labels. My partner and I were playing around with labels and it looks like they can only be added at the page level.

Is it possible to add multiple labels to a page at the text level?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2018

Hi Audrey,

I think that you're looking for this feature:

If so, please vote and comment on it with your usage case to help us consider it for future releases.

Otherwise, you could try to use API or a CLI add-on such as Bob Swift CLI or Scriptrunner in order to do this. Have a look at these past threads:

Regards,

Shannon

Benjamin Smith June 3, 2022

I believe Audrey was looking for a way to input labels *within* the body of the page - not merely within the label macro section.

For example, Audrey could be typing in the body of the confluence page and call out the labels "Key1" and "Key2" within the text they are writing, like:

"In Table A, there lives Key1 and Key2."

This would be an easier and more intuitive way of adding labels to a page. You don't have to think about adding these terms separately to the labels macro. Nor would you need to remember to update the label section whenever you change the content of your page. Labels would be part of the very content of your page.

If you're building a complex web of confluence pages, breaking out of a simple parent-child structure, allowing labels to be called out in the text itself is vital. Doing so allows the relationships between pages, based on labels, to be built and maintained automatically.

To maintain those relationships without this, you would have to closely monitor and maintain the separate labels section with relevant terms, which few users have the time and motivation to do. If there are a lot of labels to keep track of, it becomes completely infeasible.

I'm looking for this very feature right now!

Like # people like this
Micheal Planck March 4, 2024

You can do /label for a list of labels on your page. And then you can exclude the labels you don't want to show up, which works pretty well.

Of course, this adds a completely unnecessary and undesirable header of "A-Z". Which ruins everything. Now I have a titled, un-sortable list of exactly one word. The title takes up more space than the label I want to display.

I cannot understand why, in a product that freely allows us to add headers of different levels, Confluence insists on adding its own labels. They are not optional, and some of them only appear sometimes.

Why isn't there any consistency at all, anywhere?

Why can't we turn off titles on all objects, and let us use Heading X when we want a title?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events