cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a label to multiple pages - how?

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2014

Peoples,

I want to add a label to about 40 or so pages, but I don't want to do it manually, i.e. one at a time.

Is there anyway of doing this without doing it manually? I don't have access to the back end, so that sort of thing isn't an option.

We're using 5.4.3 download.

Cheers.

5 answers

5 votes
Michele Lim [Cprime] November 20, 2018

Hello @Mick Davidson! We have recently made a free plug in Power Scripts for Confluence which you can download from the Marketplace to help automate Confluence administration, one of the features is bulk labelling. Here's a short video on how to do it https://youtu.be/nM0a8JM2T2E?list=PLKTAla3ZrW8mMmYvgOVf3UPXU8V4nc-xj 

Hope this helps!

Michele

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2018

Michele,

thank you for your answer - I'm surprised you had the motivation after all these years! :) I've moved on now, so the problem is no longer mine. :)

Cheers.

Michele Lim [Cprime] December 7, 2018

haha no worries Mick thanks for the reply! Always nice when it's someone else's problem :P 

Alina Frey September 24, 2019

It is definitely mine :). Will try PowerScript to see if it works.

Jean-Christophe Gonzales August 18, 2020

Works fine when running the script from the SIL Manager, thanks Michele for this tool.

One questions : I do not understand the tricks to add the macro on a confluence page ? when the macro is triggered in such a case ?

One suggestion : would it be possible to add a recursive loop in order to add the label not just on level -1, but also on any levels below the one specified in the parentId second parameter ?

1 vote
Burcu May 1, 2014

Hi,

You could do it with Label Manager for Confluence plug in. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.kostebekteknoloji.plugins.confluence.confluence-label-manager
You could search for similar labels in a space and then merge them into one standard label.
You could also do bulk operations like appending , adding and removing labels.
Documentation is here: http://www.confluence.kostebekteknoloji.com/display/PLUG/Label+Manager+for+Confluence
Regards,

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2014

Burcu,

thanks for the tip. I should have looked in the market place before asking the question, so I apologise for not doing that first. :)

Cheers.

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2014
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2014

Thanks, but I doubt we'll be investing in the plugin and I know almost nothing about REST APIs, so that won't be happening either.

I guess it's a matter of doing it manually then...

Cheers.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2014

The CLI is a DOS based program ... sparate from the plugin. Prior to v3 it is free to use. Here is link to the latest free version ... which does has the addLabel method.

https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/download/attachments/16285777/confluence-cli-2.6.0-distribution.zip?version=1&modificationDate=1341510515419&api=v2

and here is the 2.6 documentation

https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CSOAP/2.6.0+-+Documentation

0 votes
Antonio Smith June 16, 2020

I love everyone plugging these paid macros for a function that could be shipped with the confluence installation.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2020

Well, I think to be fair to Atlassian everything COULD be shipped with Confluence. I think it really is more a question of if it SHOULD be shipped with Confluence. It is certainly not a bug as it is not an existing feature that is operating in an incorrect way. So,it would fall under a feature request. This get prioritized by consumer demand and apparently there is not enough demand that this falls into one of those things that they feel they must add to the product. There are also free ways to do it. You could use the REST API. PowerScripts for Confluence is currently a free app that allows you to script all sorts of things and you could write a script to do this.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2020

Personal opinion, but with something like this I'm firmly in the camp that believes this is something that should be possible out of the box.  Jira and Confluence may not be the same product but there are certain levels of comparable functionality that people might want to see.   @ mentions, comments, watching - these are all common, so why not bulk change?  Sure there are no fields in place, but in a search there should be a way to bulk add labels to selected results.

The idea that there is not enough demand is not really a great litmus test.  Be honest - how many users even know HOW to submit a feature request, and of those, how many are motivated enough to actually do so?  I think you'll find you have a silent underserved user base that's resigned to the idea that they either can't get what they want, or need to make severe cuts to other budgetary requirements in order to buy a license for a 3rd party tool to do what they believe should be in the base product.  Now, Atlassian has been great about improving Cloud, adding features (like in line commenting in the editor) that should always have been there, but there are also a ton of functional gaps and pricing issues that deter cloud adoption for many.

Like # people like this
Deleted user February 23, 2021

amen

0 votes
Clément LE ROUX January 2, 2019

Th thread is old, but it is the first answer that showed on Google so here is what I found : https://atlassianps.org/docs/ConfluencePS/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events