Confluence as a knowledge base

David Wimbush April 29, 2020

Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone has had any success with using Confluence as a mature knowledge base. 

For us, we have the following problems.

There is no quick way to determine if the article is for external or internal use (i.e. for end users, or for internal support teams). In order to ensure the correct visibility of our knowledge, we have two options:

1) We manually define the permissions via restrictions for every page (this is going to be almost impossible to manage long term)

2) We use permission inheritance (i.e. set a top-level page that has open access for external, and then all subpages inherit the open permissions). 

The problem with option 2, is that this would mean we would have the following:

• Knowledge Base
    • Internal Knowledge
      • Application A
    • External Knowledge
      • Application A [not allowed as duplicate name] 

Duplicate space names are not allowed within confluence (unless you pay for an extortionately priced add-on of course). This means we have to ensure that all of our pages have unique space names (suffix everything with '-Internal' for instance). 

A few articles I have read online have suggested creating a secondary space and storing internal knowledge in there.

The issue here is that we can only link one space to a Service Desk project (unless we pay for an add-on of course), so only our customers or our agents will have the ability to have auto-suggested articles. 

I feel like confluence is fundamentally flawed as a knowledge base platform and I am growing increasingly more frustrated that the only recommended/available solutions available are to buy more add ons.

These functionalities should be included within the product. You wouldn't sell a car and say 'well if you want this work properly I'm afraid the brakes will be extra'.

If anyone has any idea as to how we can get around this (I.e. without having to unique name everything, whilst still retaining everything in a single confluence space), please do let me know. Atlassian has as of yet been unable to provide with a solution (apart from buying an add-on or use a seperate non-functional confluence space).

If we just had a 'publish to service portal' button of sorts, this would so much easier.....

Thanks,

Dave W 

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events