Anchoring/ linking to a specific part of a page (simplified)

Menkara Williams March 12, 2020

This is if you want to have a link to a specific area on a page. I like to have a summary of what is included in each page, like a table of contents, at the top of a page. Nonetheless, you need to do two things to make this happen:

1. Create the Anchor
  2. Create the Link to the Anchor

Create the Anchor

1. Select "Edit" on the page where you will place the anchor.
  2. Put your cursor on the area of the page where you want to place the anchor, preferably next to the section heading/title.
  3. On the top edit menu, select "+" (this is the "Insert more content" sub-menu).
  4. Select "Other Macros" (or Ctrl+Shift+A) and you will be taken to the macros full menu
  5. Select the Anchor macro
  6. Pick an Anchor name- it is okay for it to have spaces.
  7. Click Insert. You will see a grey box with your anchor's name.
  8. Go to the bottom of the page and save the page. You will not see the grey box anymore, but the anchor is there.

Create the Link to the Anchor

1. Select edit on the page where you want to place the link to the anchor.
  2. Put your cursor on the area of the page where you will place the link.
  3. Go to where you want to place the anchor.
  4. Press Ctrl+K or go to the Edit menu at the top of the page and select the Insert Link button (tiny chain link icon).
  5. Select Advanced on the left side of the page.
    • If you are linking to an anchor on the same page, enter: #theanchornameyouchose
    • If you are linking to an anchor on a different page, enter: anchorpagename#theanchornameyouchose
    • If there are spaces in your page name, those spaces need to be there when you create the link.
  6. Save the page and test the link.

This is the part where some people have issues. It may go to the page, but it doesn’t put the anchored area at the top of the page. Here is a troubleshooting step I’ve used that works that I haven’t seen elsewhere:

I’ve found that just not being case-sensitive fixed the issue. If you have capital letters on the anchor, make sure you have capital letters when you are entering the link in the editor.

Example:

for #TheAnchorNameYouChose make sure when you edit the link it says anchorpagename#TheAnchorNameYouChose and not anchorpagename#theanchornameyouchose

If this does not fix it, there are several troubleshooting discussions on this in the forum. Here are a couple of interesting ones:

double hashtag when creating the link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Anchor-links-do-not-work/qaq-p/1017986

ensure the proper link format of #pagename-anchorname in the URL: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/link-to-anchor-doesn-t-work/td-p/612717

Good luck!

2 comments

Ramachandran_Bramha June 9, 2021

Hi Menkara,

I followed the steps provided by you.   When I click on the link, it navigates but does no position to the text where the Anchor is created. 

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Greg Senior May 31, 2023

Great page, thank you, I can create links!

I did hit the issue of the link to another page only displaying the start of the page. I resolved it by ensuring the destination point was Heading1.

Hope that helps someone.

Cheers,

Greg.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events