Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchor links do not work

Madhav Gudimetla V February 25, 2019

Using confluence is so simple and easy. But, I have been having a nightmarish time trying to get Anchor work for me. I am using "Confluence 1000.0.0-66d80941701".

On a page, say, "https://<>.com/myspace/main page/sub page/my page1", I created an anchor with the name bottom. (please note the spaces in my URL).

On another page, say, "https://<>.com/myspace/main page/my page2", I created a link using Advanced tab selection, and pointed to anchor my page1#bottom.

I Published both pages. Clicking on the link NEVER takes me to the anchor location. Always takes me to top of the page in "https://<>.com/myspace/main page/sub page/my page1"

I followed the example https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Insert-an-Anchor/qaq-p/1013116 ... but it doesnt work!

Need this to be resolved ASAP for me to create a bi-directional traceability in the spec I am writing. Kindly help!

12 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2019

Hi Madhav,

how have you configured the link to your anchor on the other page? From what you wrote I assume both pages are in the same space. By entering the page name as it is (with spaces) and adding the anchor name you can make it work. I just tested it again because I like to use this feature as well. So just add on the advanced tab: "page name with spaces#anchorname" without quotation marks and please let me know if it works for you :) If not, please add a screenshot of the link configuration, the anchor name, and page title so we can build the link together.

Best,

Max

Madhav Gudimetla V February 25, 2019

Yes, I am working in the same confluence space.

I just now created sample / dummy pages with page names containing spaces, and having sub pages within. I created an anchor inside one of the sub pages and a link in one of the top pages.  I am able to navigate and it works. (I did not include draw.io images in this experiment!)

Unfortunately, when I do the same on my main confluence spec (which includes draw.io images), I am always getting redirected to top of the page. 

One thing I found out thru this exercise is I am using draw.io plugin for drawing images in confluence. And I just now found that draw.io plugin is playing spoilsport. When my anchor on the page is way down below, and I have a fairly large draw.io image on top of the page, the image load re-positions the view to the top of the page! As a result, Anchor gets overridden!

So, I attribute the functional misbehaviour of Anchor in Confluence to the presence of a draw.io image in the page.

Without draw.io image, the anchor is working like a charm!

I will have to accept your answer. Create a new ticket with draw.io plugin issue.

Thanks for your time, Max! You are indeed the community champion!

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2019

Don't make me blush! You're welcome. But your findings are interesting. I will keep an eye out and test some other embedded contents and how they interact with anchors. And hopefully, there will be a fix soon for your specific issue!

Stephan Gehring August 7, 2019

We have noticed similar issues: clicking a hyperlink in a draw.io figure jumps to the wrong place on the same page. Not totally off, just too far down. Sometimes it works better, sometime worse.

Like miguel_cucaita2 likes this
Debra Anderson May 28, 2020

I'm having a similar problem

Like Burlakov Eduard likes this
Leontien Coolegem March 7, 2022

Me too, draw.io image on page, anchor doesn't work

Kikadass August 21, 2022

It happens with anything that loads after the anchor has taken you to the right place. 
In my case, I have a large confluence page with a Table of Contents at the top. The table of contents loads a bit later than the anchor effect. So for a split second the anchor took me to the right place, but then everything shifts down after things load. 

I know this happens on my page and I can just go down to search for what I was looking for. But if I am sharing the link to someone else for them to read some information... they will be lost on what am I trying to share with them. 

@Madhav Gudimetla V Did you create the separate ticket about the draw.io issue?
Could you send a link here?

3 votes
arthurgoldberg November 22, 2021

Much too complicated and cumbersome. Effectively broken.

3 votes
arthurgoldberg November 22, 2021

Much too complicated and cumbersome, IMHO. 

2 votes
Mai Siam September 20, 2019

Hi everyone- I was able to solve the issue today

Create anchor at the location you want it to direct to:

Add Anchor Marco 

Anchor Name #testname

then insert link using any page in your sapce

Link: Page name##testname

Link Text: Test Name

the double hashtag did it for me.

hope this helps

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2020

We are now on Server v7.2.1

I placed an anchor on a page titled "page anchor link 1" and called it "Target"

Then on another page I placed an "Advanced Link" with text "jump to target" and the following link  

page anchor link 1##Target

it went to the page, but not the anchor point

I changed the Advanced link to just one #

page anchor link 1#Target

That worked!!

It would seem that there may be an additional problem that the link is "page title" dependant i.e. change the page location or title and the link would be broken.

So I tested that and changed the target page title 

Good news .. the Advanced Link automatically updated

:)

1 vote
greg calica September 27, 2023

I have finally figured it out.   

Well maybe I figured out my "it" and the community can use my solution as way to figure out their "it"s. 

I'm exclusively using MS' Edge browser.  I haven't tried the others, so your mileage may vary.

So, I was putting in two anchors in a page where one would be linked elsewhere within the same page and the other from another page (actually from a Scroll imageMap).  No matter what I did based on the suggestions provided by the others, I could not get the imageMap external link (the other options don't allow for the #) to work.  I gave up and went to the other anchor link (the one that links within the same page) and it worked.  Just by chance I looked at the URL and what do you know--it looks NOTHING like any of the documentation and blogs I seen to date.  I'm gonna do my best to explain the URL without disclosing my actual.  I hope my explanation is clear.

• On my page called "My Page" I have two anchors: #paragraph_one and #paragraph_two
  • Using the Link utility to setup a link to an anchor within the same page works
    • just the #<anchor name> format works
    • the <page name>#<anchor name> format works
    • I'm willing to bet that the https://site.com/confluence/<page name><page name>#<anchor name> format would work (IDK, didn't bother testing)
  • Clicking on this link revealed the following URL
  • Note the format: #<pagename>-<anchor name>
    • no space between the words of my page's name
    • the dash that separates the page name and anchor name
  • Using this format to specify the external link for my other page's imageMap (https://site.com/confluence/My+Page#MyPage-paragraph_two) "worked"
    • I placed the word worked in parentheses because, there is still some bugginess in that the anchored point is presented out of the viewable area
    • I think this is due to the sequence of how the page loads (images get loaded after the anchor, which pushes the anchor out of view)
    • I just placed the anchor I little further up than the obvious point and the experience is close to what I want
Colin Smart October 26, 2023

This worked for me too - thanks @greg calica I was about to give up!!

ps. I was using Chrome, and on Confluence 7.4.11

0 votes
Revital Ferster December 5, 2023

Found a solution.

I have tried all the suggestions above. None worked for me from outside of Confluence.

Finally I have used the html macro instead, with html code for a bookmark

And voilla - finally I can refer to this bookmark from outside

Example:

The bookmark: Within the html macro I have put: <h2 id="AAA"/>

Then I could refer to this bookmark by : page-url#AAA

0 votes
Lawrence S Harris May 24, 2023

Using the server version, it's a shame the anchor links don't work if accessed from outside of confluence.  

Anchors are a very poor implementation of something that should be a basic feature and should be easy to figure out.  Instead it is arcanely implemented and non-functional in a wide variety of possible use cases for no apparent reason. 

I also see that the cloud implementation allows implicit anchors for section headers, however, that implementation breaks completely if we add numbered headers.

Furthermore, the server version doesn't do implicit anchors on section headers at all.  I cannot explain why very basic functionality between implementations can't be synchronized.

0 votes
Joseph Calaway May 18, 2023

So this may be an issue because of user error (as I discovered with myself). I'd suggest validating that your anchor macro itself doesn't have a # in the naming convention. Eg, use anchorname in the macro, not #anchorname. Then in your link, use #anchorname and it should work.

0 votes
Bill Rudy September 14, 2020

All, I was having this problem until I realized something...you can't select the page you're linking to, then go and add JUST the anchor in the Advanced field.  You have to go to Advanced and add BOTH the page name, the "#" character, and the anchor name (keeping in mind it is case and space sensitive).  That made it work for me.  Frankly I find that confusing and not documented accurately or clearly here https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf76/anchors-1018768661.html#Anchors-Step2 , but hey, go with what works. :) We are on Server 7.4.1 FYI, but I suspect this is true going back many versions. 

Mike Frohme September 23, 2020

This worked for me ... finally!  (at least within Confluence) ... I guess I have always missed the 'Advanced' recommendation.  I have not been successful with anchor links from external pages , but will try again. 

ABoerio October 29, 2020

I still see a big problem when trying to link to anchors from outside confluence, eg from a web page, a pdf file, email or whatever else.

In these cases I normally use the absolute link to the page Id (from "Share link"), because page titles might change. If I try to add #anchor name to these links, it just goes to the page top. :-(

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2019

Confluence Cloud claims some sort of fix https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-62589 

Pending response on Confluence Server https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-58628

0 votes
Gary July 25, 2019

I have the same problem. I don't think Anchors work.

The URL I'm trying to make work is:

https://confluence.MyCOmpanyDomain.com/confluence/display/DCPH/Test%3A+Word1+Word2+Word3#myanchor

I tried defining my anchor as both #myanchor and myanchor (in case the octothorp is required in the coding, unlike using the traditional <a .... > tag in HTML.  In both cases, when I use my anchor in the URL, it goes to the top of the page, not the anchor.

The HTML snippet in my page source code is:

<td>
<div class="content-wrapper">
<p>
<span style="color: rgb(0,51,102);"> <span style="color: rgb(0,51,102);"> <ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="30a27554-999c-45f7-a2fc-ed47f53b34ab" ac:name="anchor" ac:schema-version="1">
<ac:parameter ac:name="">#myanchor</ac:parameter>
</ac:structured-macro>Text for myanchor</span> </span>
</p>
<p>
<span style="color: rgb(0,51,102);"> <span style="color: rgb(0,51,102);">[ OCS ]<br/> </span> </span>
</p>
</div>
</td>

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2019

Hi am having similar problems ... :(

I want to be able to email a link to a specific anchor on a specific page

As far as I can tell I have used the right formatting as follows

Anchor name is    UNTICK

Page name is      1 Quick Start Guide

Space Key is        CORES

https://groups.org/display/CORES/1+Quick+Start+Guide/#1QuickStartGuide-UNTICK

When I email that link to myself, when I click the link in the email it takes me to the correct page but not to the Anchor point, just the top of the page.

I am currently using Sever 5.8.16 but we will soon be upgrading to 6.15

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2019

Hi Rodney,

that doesn't look right for me. Could you try:

https://groups.org/display/CORES/1+Quick+Start+Guide#1QuickStartGuide-UNTICK

Best, Max

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 27, 2019

Thanks Max

tried that ... that also open the right page but doesn't skip down to the Anchor point

I have spotted some other references that indicate that linking to an anchor from outside the Confluence instance has a bug and doesn't work.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-62501

Anton Khvorov April 2, 2020

Any updates on that? I have the same issue

Don Javier April 7, 2021

The same for me...

ABoerio April 7, 2021

I guess it's still the same limited functionality.

Anchors work only if you refer to them from inside Confluence (and not from an external web page) and only if you set the link as advanced link and only if you set the link using the page title, followed by # and by the anchor name.

adv.jpg

That means you'll loose the link, in case you modify the page title.

For us it's a big limitation :-(, but that's how it is.

Ciao, Andrea

Like # people like this
Lawrence S Harris May 24, 2023

Thanks, this was the key for me to get *something* working.

joshuataylor August 2, 2023

It's hard for me to understand how, years later, this hasn't been addressed. I often share links from Confluence with coworkers and I often want to point to a specific spot on a big page. Seems like basic functionality for a web page.

Like # people like this
Jerry Destremps February 22, 2024

That is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard.  It's so easy to implement as an outside linkable anchor in a page.  Everyone does it with normal HTML.  Why can't Atlassian make it happen with Confluence?  I send my boss a link to a specific place in the page, and it doesn't scroll down to it.  Thanks Atlassian.  Get real.

Like Ahmed Hasnaoui likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events