What's New in Confluence Cloud – November 2019 Edition

188 comments

Kelvin A Hill November 26, 2019

@Peter Rowe We, too, have used the Panel, Section, and Column macros—in more than two dozen spaces. The Layouts macro simply doesn't offer the functionality provided by the other macros. To make do without them is a super-annoying prospect.

Like # people like this
Peter Rowe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 26, 2019

@Kelvin A Hill @Tom Crowley  thanks for responding. The layouts macro doesn't even come close to offering what we're needing from it. I genuinely have no idea what the thought process of this was. They've removed a whole bunch of valuable features without really replacing them with anything useful.

Atlassian, is there anything down the line that will replace these specific features? Like Kelvin, the thought of continuing without them is daunting.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2019

Thanks for the latest update. Keep the improvements coming!

Like Jessica Taylor likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2019

...shaking a Polaroid picture is actually really bad for the development process.

General feedback within the Community chapter I lead, is that Confluence got a shake up that wasn't needed.

Sorry to be so harsh. That's how it is 😞

Really insightful post though - quite a bit of useful feedback from affected users and great to see in what ways they're affected. Thanks for sharing all the updates and allowing people freedom of speech on their issues with functionality!

Like Tom Crowley likes this
Tom Crowley November 27, 2019

@Peter Rowe Yeah, I figured that would probably end up being the case even as I suggested it... Bummer.

Like Peter Rowe likes this
Roger Cruz November 27, 2019

I'm extremely disappointed with the new page Edit (v2) functionality.  The biggest annoyance is how slow it is when typing.. characters take milliseconds to show up when typing in the page.  Next, you got rid of the Code Block macro and substituted with an inferior implementation where I can't change the styles or add a title (if there is a way, it is not obvious at all).  I'd like to get the old edit style back.

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley November 28, 2019

@Roger Cruz You can change the 'language' for code snippets, if that's what you mean? It only shows up when you publish the page, though, and I'm guessing you've tried that already. I can't see a way of adding titles, either. So yeah, welcome to the ever-growing group of disgruntled users who all want the old editor back!

Observation left without comment: Even the positive comments don't seem to be eliciting a reaction from the Product/Community team anymore...

Like Kelvin A Hill likes this
Kelvin A Hill November 28, 2019

@Tom Crowley I suspect they are emotionally exhausted. It must be draining to maintain the facade of enthusiasm and solidarity in the face of such a car-crash scenario. Can you imagine the toll it must take on your mental health to consistently keep up the pretence that you're committed and excited for something so unacceptable?

Atlassian staff have all done a magnificent job at deflecting legitimate criticism. Their resolve is amazing. They are the type of individuals who could be relied upon to safeguard state secrets even in the face of torture. If I were to ask you to support an untenable proposition, would you have the same unwavering resolve to do so?

Like Tom Crowley likes this

@Kelvin A Hill Fair play to them. I'd have quit by now.

Like Kelvin A Hill likes this

(This is why I think the whole thing must be a mandate from someone higher up the tree who's out of touch with everything. I might not have quit, but I'd definitely have given in and said ok, we made a mistake, here, keep your precious old editor.)

Like # people like this
Kelvin A Hill November 28, 2019

I'm considering setting up some type of welfare fund for Atlassian staff with PTSD.

Like Roger Cruz likes this
Roger Cruz November 28, 2019

@Tom Crowley Yes, I can select the language in the code macro but you can't select the style (like Emacs coloring).  You can't add titles, etc.  It is a new version that lacks useful features.

Right now I published a page with a TOC macro and guess what?  It doesn't render a TOC.   Never had problems like this with the old version.

I just read all the comments here and I can see that I'm not the only one anguishing over such a bad product release.. what I don't understand is how Atlassian chooses to ignore the feedback and does not take action to pull the release.  It is not ready for production, period.  I know someone in the company said it was but they obviously were not using it like customers do, day-to-day.  If they had, they would have realized this is an inferior product.

Question:  how can I export my published content into a form that I can import into another system.  I have reached a point where I'm exploring other options.. $$$ speak louder than words in business.

Like James Kinoshita likes this
Tom Crowley November 29, 2019

@Roger Cruz Yeah, I thought as much. The TOC thing seems to happen with the `/page tree` macro too. 

This whole farce is maddening.

Kelvin A Hill November 29, 2019

@Roger Cruz @Tom Crowley Oh, my! I've just seen the Page Tree mess. I simply don't believe anyone signed that off. It's only half finished, pure and simple. It feels like April 1st came early and returns every day. I hadn't bothered to test the Page Tree macro because I'm avoiding using the new editor—except for Notepad-style stuff, which it was clearly designed for.

I'm not seeing a problem with the TOC macro, though. For me, it renders correctly. What are you seeing? Do you see the same hopeless formatting that appears with the Page Tree macro?

It is inconceivable to me how Atlassian continues to adopt its flat-Earth approach of denying reality and remaining silent in the face of such an embarrassing mess. They seem to believe that distraction is the best strategy. "Hey, look over here, everyone! Not, not here, there! No, not there. Somewhere else!"

And reporting howling errors through the "chuck-it-in-a-black-hole-and-hope-for-the-best" Jira-bug-report approach is futile. You may as well write it on the back of your hand and hope someone sees it.

When will this shambles improve? The enormity of the problem (i.e., the sheer volume of errors in the new editor) is being conveniently masked by the absence of a centralised bug list.

And some unwanted behaviours probably aren't even bugs, they are simply poor coding or whatever. For example, when I publish a page, I have to wait an indefinite amount of time for the page to respond. There is no suggestion of any back-end processing; it simply sits there, unpublished. After an unquantifiable amount of time, the page may finally respond and update. And the issue of opening a page for editing—and being confronted with the previous version of the page before the page refreshes after maybe a second—is bewildering and extremely off-putting.

Kelvin A Hill November 29, 2019

And another great feature of this whole frustrating business is that this thread will be closed and set as read-only in a few hours so it can be forgotten.

Then we'll have a new thread: 

What's New in Confluence Cloud – December 2019 Edition

What's new? A bunch of bugs, missing functionality, and half-baked, prematurely rolled out features that aren't fit for purpose. That's what's new, folks. Knock yourself out.

Atlassian is turning me into a troll. My pitchfork is ready for the next pointless thread.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2019

Nice, thank you! 

Dmytro Pozdniakov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 1, 2019

hi guys!
I have a few questions about a new markup.
How to collapse a code block? 
How to create multiple headers for the table?  (at the old version you could create several lines with headers, thees lines were skipped by numbering column) It was very useful to slit rows by a subtitle.

Tom Crowley December 2, 2019

@Dmytro Pozdniakov I think the only way to collapse a code block is to put it in an expand macro. You can't nest these macros, though, so it won't work in a list or anything. 

Not sure about table headers - the new table feature is still pretty basic. A good ground rule for the new editor is that if it doesn't look like you can do something, you probably can't do it. Or, if it's not immediately obvious how to do it, you probably can't do it.

Always worth asking on here though, someone might have found a workaround or something...

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Shemau Muniru
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 2, 2019

Nice

Alexis MUNINGER
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 2, 2019

Could we see the comments on edit mode ? That would be awesome

Tom Crowley December 2, 2019

@Alexis MUNINGER Jira ticket for this suggestion: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-36956

Created in 2015. Good luck...

Like # people like this
LarryG December 2, 2019

In regards to the following comment made previously. If this is actually the case, I am giving it an F-

Fixed width fonts are generally speaking the only way to guarantee cross-platform display consistency when you absolutely need things to line up a certain way, i.e. by columns.

James Kinoshita Nov 15, 2019

Changing the formatting options by removing fixed width font for this stupid "code" thing is super annoying. Also Cloud Confluence often has problems going to edit mode. Several useful macros were removed.

I give this update a grade D.

Unlike •  You and 4 others like this

Like James Kinoshita likes this
DA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2019

Hi folks, my name is Daniel Ayele and I'm a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team. Thank you all for your comments and feedback. We hear you loud and clear regarding comments in edit mode and I'm happy to share that we've prioritized this feature and we're actively working on designing and building a solution. Stay tuned as we'll have more to share on this in the coming months.

Like # people like this
Kelvin A Hill December 3, 2019

@DA So you realised an oversight and plan to act on it? That's amazing, thanks. I'll throw a party in your honour. We don't deserve to be treated so well.

This single, benevolent action almost convinces me to forget about all the countless other shortcomings and errors in the new editor.

On second thoughts, no, it doesn't. [Eye-roll emoji]

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events