📣 We’re giving you a personal space…automatically!

108 comments

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2021

Mark ... but Avni has confirmed that even AFTER they have reviewed all this, they are STILL implementing it ....

https://tinyurl.com/fcjh828z 

Mark Thompson November 4, 2021

Thanks I just saw that.  I take back what I said but I would post in the other thread.   There is one positive from this.  I now have a new post to refer people to when they ask me about Atlassian products.  This even beats the shared filters threads for Jira.  

Like # people like this
richard.lane November 4, 2021

@Avni Barman 

Easy solution:

You think this is a great idea, we don't.

Change ONE THING to your feature. Make it optional, but super easy to turn on.

Just add a single checkbox for "Create automatic personal spaces". Default = off. Problem solved.

Bonus: Instant metric of how many customers think this feature is so good that they're willing to log on to the admin portal to tick a single checkbox. I'll take the "under 10%" split for my bet.

Think how awesome it will be when most of your Confluence admins think this is great, turn it on, and I have to publicly eat crow in this thread, or another Atlassian forum of your choice, including head office in Sydney. 

Like # people like this
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2021

This would be much better as an optional feature. For some small companies I can see the value of it. For larger companies though (really anything over 10 at the absolute highest 50 users) this would be cumbersome to manage and access can get really messy with Confluence.

From personal experience as an Admin when I logged in to a new Cloud instance to plan a migration off of cloud, not being able to get around creating a personal space was really frustrating. 

I agree with the sentiment to make this optional, I get the value but I also see that customers should have choices

Like # people like this
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2021

@Avni Barman 

Come on Avni ... we are all desperately waiting for you to confirm you have cancelled roll out of this PROBLEM.

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2021

Hi @Avni Barman

Same here. We have around 900 personal spaces, but around 4000 users.

When this rolls out we will basically drown in personal spaces

This feature should not be coming, we don't want/need automated creation of Personal Spaces.

This would be only fitting as an optional feature, let admins decide to enable this for a site instead of having it forced.

Like # people like this
Phillip Leonard November 9, 2021

Do you even ready the tickets that your users create? This is not a welcome feature. I have over 250 users and growing and each of them has a personal space, that shows in the list of all spaces. As an organization, we have 5 spaces so users can quickly ands easily find what they are looking for. That becomes impossible when they have to sort through a list of personal spaces, of which, only about 5% of users are actually using or intend to use. This is a horrible, horrible feature. Please provide the ability to turn it off as well as the ability to bulk delete all of the unused and unwanted personal spaces.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21477

Like # people like this
Ivan Shtanichev November 10, 2021

Seems like a really bad idea to me. Please do not proceed!

Like # people like this
marschmidt November 10, 2021

"However, if your admin has disabled personal spaces for your instance, you will not get one."

How? Where? 

I have only found the permission to create spaces, but I'm not sure if that helps, when Atlassian creates these spaces automatically? If I'm missing something, please add the information to the article. 

Otherwise, I think I do not have to mention again that this undertaking does not seem to be particularly well thought out, enough others have done that already.

Like Rodney Hughes likes this
Daniel Cave November 10, 2021

@Avni Barman - please review the weight of the negative sentiment that this announcement has had and at the very least delay the rollout of this requirement until you have further surveyed your user community.

I for one am utterly unimpressed with this move, it will cause issues with our data migration and lead to unnecessary overhead. We already see performance issues with the Confluence Cloud product, adding unnecessary personal spaces to the mix is only going to exacerbate the problem.

In addition, this is going to lead to an unhealthy overhead with regards to processing leavers for our organization. We already have to manage the personal spaces that our user community elects to create. 

Add it as an option we can enable within our instance, don't make it a default that we cannot control.

Continuing with your plans at this point will show that Atlassian is not listening or not interested in its user community feedback, which will not help you secure new or renew business.

Like # people like this
Dave Hampton November 10, 2021

Not a fan of Personal Spaces at all. I turned mine off - it just made more haystacks to find the needle. Please don't turn that on automatically. I will have to delete all of them. I tried to get my permissions right so they aren't auto created.

DON'T ROLL OUT THIS FEATURE!!!!!!

Like # people like this
Paula Hidalgo November 11, 2021

This is a horrible idea! What happens to the spaces when a user becomes inactive?  Does the Confluence Administrator now have to add yet one more duty -- deleting personal spaces for inactive users? 

Like # people like this
Tamsin Burwell November 12, 2021

I don't hate this but as others have said it would need organisations to have control on whether this is switched on for all users, some user groups, or not at all.

Whilst I can see it working in some smaller agile organisations / teams who live and breath Atlassian as a primary tool, in many more large, complex organisations there just isn't the user appetite for this. In these organisations it might cause confusion at best and become an admin headache at worst.

Like # people like this
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2021

hello @Avni Barman ... are you still there???

We are desperate to hear that you have cancelled the roll out of what will be a huge problem for us ...

Avni Barman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2021

Thank you all for all your detailed comments and follow-ups. I would like to answer these concerns and questions live in more detail. If you're interested in chatting with me and others on our product team, please sign up here to set up some time to chat. Thank you!

Chase Whitener November 16, 2021

@Avni Barman The catch-all, "we reached out to the community and had conversations and got lots of feedback" trick. Then you'll continue implementing the misfeature none of us want anyway and not caring how much frustration or time it actually costs _us_.

We've seen this play already on several other changes Atlassian has made in the past. Please don't do this to us yet again.

Like # people like this
S_ Francoeur November 16, 2021

@Avni Barman I'm afraid you'll get little more from one-on-ones than what has been already stated in the numerous comments above.

The bottom line is very few admins see value in this new feature, rather the contrary!

It looks like our instance has already received this unwelcome feature. Please roll back or give admins an opt out, like is suggested in [CONFCLOUD-71300] Ability to disable the personal spaces creation automatically, which jumped from 93 to 206 votes in a matter of days (hint hint!).

And, while you are at it, please also give admins control over the useless sample pages that are inflicted in parallel, as suggested in [CONFCLOUD-71286] Ability to disable the sample pages created automatically with the personal spaces, which also went from 23 to 61 votes in the same time frame.

Finally, please keep in mind that the voters are, for the most part, admins themselves so the number of users represented by those votes is -at least- tenfold.

Like # people like this
Mark Thompson November 16, 2021

I agree with @Chase Whitener - I gave lots of feedback on the new issue view.  You rolled it out anyway and then started trying to fix things after release.  I spent weeks of man-hours making the rollout on that feature seamless for my team.  Why should I spend 15 minutes telling you the things we can post here and have already done so.

At least here the problems are documented for everyone to see.

1.  Increase in admin overhead to manage spaces that likely won't be used.  Our spaces will likely increase by 8x minimum

2. GDPR/CCPA risk because novice users may be inclined to put sensitive data on these spaces.  Right now there is small risk.  Currently these spaces are used by experienced users who have sought out the ability.

3. Inability to easily allow spaces to be created for existing users while turning this feature off.  Just as in New Issue View you are forcing the admins to do the work because of your poor roll out process.  I spent 120 man hours fixing issues on new issue view so that the rollout would not impact my team.  All you have to do for default space creation is have the option to disable this feature with a default of off.  That would probably make everyone happy.  Anyone can turn it on if they want the feature.

4. You did the same thing with automation rules.  Atlassian rolled out that feature with admin permissions enabled.  Someone promptly used it incorrectly and I had to fix.  You also didn't allow the feature to be added to a permission scheme.  Basically you force your admins to turn features off because you don't do the proper work for us to control roll out.  Spaces may not have processes in place.  Now we have to develop any necessary process before you jam this down our throats.

5. You are taking away server so we will have no way to prevent new features from being rolled out to our users.  Half of what you do makes more work for me but I have no way to stop the changes.  

6. Oh and add manual deletion of sample pages.  I didn't know that existed until the prior comment.  Seriously you couldn't just have one global sample page?  You have to create them for everyone.  Who thinks up this stuff?

You seem to forget that the admin managing the system does have some input on whether add-ons or additional implementations are used.  Why would we spend more money on a system where the team doesn't listen to our input. 

Like # people like this
Łukasz Zawer November 17, 2021
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2021

[Edited for Rules of Engagement violations]

Hi all again

I had a 15 minute ZOOM with Avni this morning. 

She is going to give my feedback to the Development Team.

If you have already commented on this or original post https://tinyurl.com/fcjh828z you should be kept informed of any response

Like # people like this
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2021

Hi all.

Atlassian have advised me that some of my comments here have offended in some way as being abusive and/or have an inappropriate tone.

Where that has been the case I offer my sincere and unqualified apology.

Atlassian have rightfully edited those comments. 👌

Samuel Davis November 22, 2021

This still isn't showing up for me. Any idea of when the rollout will be complete?

Jessie Wang_ScriptRunner_The Adaptavist Group
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 31, 2022

Hi everyone, if you’re interested in a way to automatically archive all unused personal spaces on your instance, we’ve added a new script to do this.

You’ll need the ScriptRunner for Confluence app and this script from our Script Library. When you copy and paste the script into the app and run it, it will find and archive all the unused personal spaces on your instance.

You can set the script to run on a fixed schedule (called a ‘Script Job’) so unused personal spaces get continuously archived in batches until your whole instance is done.

As you can probably tell, I work on the ScriptRunner team :).

For anyone who’s interested, ScriptRunner for Confluence is free for up to 10 users, otherwise, you can take advantage of the 30-day free trial to run the script.

Hope that helps anyone who needs it. Any questions or concerns feel free to reach out to me.

Jessie

Like # people like this
Anja Brkljacic March 22, 2022

Is there a way to change the following behavior we're seeing: the "create" button at the top of the Confluence navigation bar automatically creates the page in a user's personal space, unless that user is in a different space. This is not the behavior we want. We would like the creation to default to the General space where most of our documentation is stored, but I am not sure if I can change that and if so-where. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events