📣 We’re giving you a personal space…automatically!

108 comments

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2021

[Edited for Rules of Engagement violations]

You have GOT to be kidding!

I manage my Users to stay within my price threshold - i.e. I add clients for certain projects and then delete them when the project is finished.

Now you are going to clog up my Confluence with useless Spaces for Users that no longer exist and no longer can use their Space ... and may in fact not want to be known by my other clients!!!

Please start fixing the other problems you rolled out like the useless CLOUD Editor ... bring back ALL the features of the legacy Editor

Like • # people like this
Alex Moon November 1, 2021

Commenting to add a vote. Please, please re-consider the way you're implementing this update. There are many people who do not want to see this implemented with very good reasons.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-71300

robert.britton November 1, 2021

I can think of a hundred other feature request that will better help manage our service delivery platform.

Chris Gay November 1, 2021

This is absurd. Why are you working on features that no one wants instead of working on fixing things that are broken or reinstating the highly demanded features that have been removed?

It seems like some people at Atlassian are determined to destroy what was once a great product. It's starting to become some kind of neutered frankenstein.

Steven Drury November 1, 2021

Geez, tough crowd in the comments section.

I like personal spaces, they give people a place to draft/sandbox where users can have full control. When I'm training new users, the first thing I show them is how to create a personal space where they can play around. 

As an admin, if I see content that should be in a communal space that should be in another space, I talk to the creator and describe the benefit of having content in a shared location.

A lot of the comments here are about controlling users, rather than enabling them with some guardrails. 

Ben Shuker November 1, 2021

Like most things coming to Confluence lately, this is unwanted and unnecessary bloat that no one asked for.

How can I disable this 'feature'? I really don't want to have to remove a few hundred new spaces when this comes into effect and I don't want to have to add a new step into user creation, to delete their useless personal space.

Mark Thompson November 1, 2021

@Steven Drury I'd agree.  We aren't disagreeing with personal spaces.  We are disagreeing with Atlassian creating them for everyone even if they don't want to use them.

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2021

@Avni Barman 

what is your response to all this negative feedback?

Can you stop this feature (problem) roll out?

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2021

@Steven Drury 

we aren't against personal Spaces .. they can be helpful to teh Usre and teh rest of te community 

but what we DON'T want is this automated creation of a Personal Space for every User

Imagine if you bought a car and for every person who got in the car, you had to have a trailer or caravan towed behind .. not just one and not by choice .. everywhere you went you had four or five trailers pulled behind - or more if you have a minivan, or a bus ....

Shane November 1, 2021

I don't know who is making the decisions at Atlassian, however SURELY you can understand that giving people a personal space by default is just causing administrative overheads for tenancy administrators?

Why do this? It is nor logical or common sense. Automated creation of user spaces in this instance is not helpful.

Give tenancy admins the ability to enable or disable it globally, or on a per user basis.

Shamrock Aber November 1, 2021

have a great day

Like • Steven Drury likes this
Jari Nieminen November 1, 2021

Like many have said - this is a TERRIBLE idea! I havent seen a single positive comment about this.

Are we part of some human experience here? Are you deliberately testing how much we can take before finally leaving the Atlassian platform...

Voted:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-71300

Like • richard.lane likes this
Markus Rohrmeier November 2, 2021

We are also completely against this new function.
At least there must be a possibility to deactivate the automtically creation of personal spaces in the settings.
If this already exists, please post a link.

Cameron Watson November 2, 2021

This sounds like more of a hindrance than help.

I have been working through removing peoples personal spaces that people had as barely anyone used it.

Unless I have misread the global settings means no one can create a personal space. I want people to have a choice to create one no forced to have or have not. 

richard.lane November 2, 2021

This is a horrifically bad idea unless you've fixed Personal Space permissions - could your product team please talk to a privacy lawyer? 

Last I checked (couple of years ago), personal spaces can't be viewed, searched, managed, etc by admins, access control has to be done by the Personal Space Owner. So I globally blocked them, because that's literally illegal for corporate entities.

If they are still viewed as "John Citizen's private thoughts that the mean security and compliance people aren't allowed to look at", it breaches small things like, say, GDPR, CCPA, the Australian Corporations Act (re corporate records), etc. 

That ignores the corporate policies and standards that might be breached - I'm only talking about legal obligations.

If this can't be globally blocked, I'm going to have to decide if I feel that it's worthwhile arguing with my Global Legal Counsel vs just killing that platform globally.

Confluence is already prone to being a completely unmanageable mess. Who thought this was a good idea?

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2021

@richard.lane 

Are you sure that is illegal?  why?

There are all sorts of macros that display other Users details ... after all Confluence is as much about networking as it is about information so people have to understand its a two-street about certain info ... that they individually CHOOSE to provide in their personal profile, regardless of whether they have a personal Space or not.

richard.lane November 2, 2021

@Rodney Hughes 

Not A Lawyer, but have worked as security advisor / technology risk manager for firms bigger than Atlassian. As I understand it from multiple internal lawyers / privacy officers, and a couple board-level lawyers:

• A corporation is responsible for all content on platforms operated by the corp.
  • GDPR (for example) requires that any EU citizen can ask a corporation for "all personal information that have stored that relates to them".
  • They can also ask for that information to be deleted.
  • Rinse & repeat for CCPA, etc,
  • Don't get me started on legal hold, legal discovery, etc. 

"But we couldn't find it because it was in a locked Personal Space" is not an excuse.

If a staff member wants to put information on a corporate platform, they have consented to having the company search, delete, retain, read, sell, whatever, etc, etc, that information. In many circumstances the company is legally obligated to do those things. 

Put your personal stuff on platforms you control personally. I have a personal Confluence, as a USER I quite like the tool. As the guy who does technology compliance / security operations / workplace IT for a global fintech - I HATE how Confluence does permissions / auth & auth / governance workflows / etc. Even Google Workspace does it a (lot) better.

Short version: Corporate platforms require global search capability. Without having to use stupid "admin keys" and using the GUI.

Certain other permission "mis-features" aren't actually illegal, but are utterly stupid: If I'm investigating someone for malicious behaviour and want to log on as them... don't send them an email. 

Andy Müller November 2, 2021

Similar to many people before me, I also highly dislike this automated attempt. Please reconsider this change.

Mattia Borsoi November 2, 2021

we don't want this change to apply to our account. It's already a mess to keep Spaces organised, all we need now is hundreds of personal spaces popping up daily, which may even be set to public by a distracted employee. Please give us a toggle to prevent this change.

Jeff Hoover November 2, 2021

Dear Atlassian,

We understand that YOU are excited about this feature, but your users, me included, are not excited about this feature. Forcing the creation of spaces for all users means extra spaces cluttering up the space directory/lists and additional work for admins when users are disabled. The proposed solution will not work for us, as we want to allow our users to create a space if desired.

The reaction from the community highlights the larger issue at hand, which is the disconnect between Atlassian's Confluence team and the Confluence user community. There have been many changes forced on us, sometimes without notice, that we wish could be disabled. Meanwhile, legitimate issues that need to be fixed remain idle, "waiting for more votes" and we receive notices about price increases citing "continued investment in building a powerful platform with better automation, insights, and machine learning capabilities".

Instead of continuing to drive a wedge between your users and yourself, why not take this wake up call as an opportunity to build a bridge? I can only image that you'd rather have a user community who is passionate about Confluence, in a good way, rather than a community of users who are constantly annoyed at the product, but feel they have to continue to use Confluence until they can convince upper management to switch to something else.

Cameron Watson November 2, 2021

I have already commented but I whole heatedly agree with the above.

jana.selzer November 2, 2021

Dear Atlassian team, 

please don't!

There is absolutely no benefit in this feature.  It will only cause a major workload for Admins cleaning up afterwards, manually removing hundreds of newly created, unwanted und untended spaces.  

Like • S_ Francoeur likes this
Daniel Sputa November 2, 2021

@Steven Drury 

let me clarify my point. My company works with contractors. We give them access to confluence to read the specs, get things done. There is no interest on our or their side to manage or have a "personal" space available and even automatically created.

We also allow our clients and 3rd parties to have access to Confluence for roadmaps, approving and commenting on specs, etc. One thing that I need to manage is that our "visitors" only see their spaces and related pages. I cannot allow having a random personal space with default permissions to float around and be visible to everyone else.

michelle.bachmann November 2, 2021

Please don't roll this out.  In Confluence Server, we could have anonymous users with read access.  In Cloud, each user needs an account.  Many of the users are only there to read only.  They have no intention to contribute to any pages, much less have their own space.  This creates an Administrative nightmare of spaces that will be created and will not add any value.  

cherie heiberg November 2, 2021

As the above commenters have stated, please do not roll this out. Shutting down a user's personal space is a part of offboarding, and can add a few extra minutes to an hour to the process, depending on what is in the personal space. I am not against personal spaces existing for users who CHOOSE to create them, but I am fully against this. I do not want to have to globally disable the creation of personal spaces in order to keep Confluence from automatically generating a personal space for each user.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events