Save time with Automation for Confluence!

72aa0fc6-0874-4173-a17c-561062334f76.png

Hello everyone!

My name is Sheerine Baucum, Product Manager focusing on Automation for Confluence. I am excited to share that we’ve brought the powerful automation platform (that you know and love 💙 from Jira Software) to Confluence Cloud Premium and Enterprise sites!

Gone are the days of wasting time and energy completing repetitive tasks to manage content across your Confluence site✌️. Automation for Confluence allows site and space admins to create low-code/no-code automation rules to facilitate progress throughout the content lifecycle, keep content in spaces organized by standardizing the setup of pages and spaces, manage content and make it more searchable through labels, and keep content up to date by using reminders to review, edit or archive pages.

This includes personal spaces so all users can set up automation rules within their personal space for things like keeping track of tasks!

Start from a template or build your own custom automation rules.

Want to make sure your internal wiki is always up-to-date? Set up an automated reminder to review or archive content that’s gone past its shelf life ✅

3de22e8e-10a3-4ca1-8143-7e23673e766e.png

That monthly business review? Automate the recurring page creation ✅

4f0b3d60-f627-4a03-bcf3-0743859d67ae.png

and so much more!

🤖 Ready to jump into Automation?

We’ve just started the rollout, so if you don’t see it on your Confluence Cloud Premium or Enterprise site today, it should come to your site soon*.

📖 Learn more about automation and how to build automation rules

👥 Join our Automation community group to learn from and connect with other Atlassian users leveraging Automation

🆓 If you’re not yet on Confluence Cloud Premium or Enterprise, get a free trial of Confluence Premium or Enterprise in your admin portal under “billing>manage subscriptions” or sign up here.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! If you’re interested in sharing your feedback on this new feature, let us know in the comments!

--

*Please reach out to Confluence Support if you don’t have automation on your site by January 15th, 2023.

14 comments

Therese Hedberg December 8, 2022

Is Automation for Confluence on its way to Data Center as well? 

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2022

Huh. So no way to edit/replace the body of a page in Confluence? I hope that's on the roadmap, because as it stands this is pretty limited if you wanted to programmatically generate pages in Confluence.

You know, for a use case like this: Create confluence page based on issues set to specific status 

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2022

Ah, ok, there's already a feature request for this:

And this would be really cool for integrating Smart Values from Jira into Confluence templates:

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2022

@Sheerine Baucum Congratulations for graduating Automation for Confluence!

Back in April 2022, you said that you had plans to introduce Automation for both Confluence Premium and Standard. Did things change? Is Automation for Confluence coming to the Standard plan any time, or Automation would remain a Premium-only feature?

Like # people like this
Sheerine Baucum
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2022

@Therese Hedberg Hello! At this time we do not have any plans to introduce Automation for Confluence to Data Center. Thank you!

Like # people like this
Sheerine Baucum
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2022

@Darryl Lee Please vote for that functionality to help us prioritize these on our roadmap. We are actively looking into ways to continue improving this functionality. Thank you!

Like # people like this
Sheerine Baucum
Atlassian Team
December 20, 2022

@Kalin U We have plans to explore making Automation for Confluence available in additional plans, but we are currently investing in enhancing the current experience. Our roadmap updates will be available in the public roadmap, where you can track this work. Thank you!

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

@Sheerine Baucum In your example with the "inactive page" email notification, will the email include only one page? (If the same author has 30 inactive pages, then he will receive 30 separate mails?)

Is it possible to email a list of pages using automations?

Like # people like this
Darrel Jackson April 25, 2023

This looks interesting but not a lot of use cases jump out at me (as opposed to Jira Automation that we use all the time). Does anyone have any useful use cases to share? The ones that come in the library don't look very exciting.

Like # people like this
Laura De Vita May 26, 2023

Thanks for these features <3

Like # people like this
Rebecca Bradley June 8, 2023

It would provide so much value if automation enabled setting the parent location of a new page created with a specific template or label(s) within a space.  This retains the tree structure while minimizing user error + supporting workflows.

Like Koloman Pfeffer likes this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2023

Answering my own question about the "each inactive page is reported in a separate email" problem.

I tried to work around it, but I couldn't. It is just a series of emails. Also, because the number of emails sent by the automation rule is limited to some fairly low value (25?), it can only email 25 pages in one go... 

If someone needs a scalable periodic CQL-based notification solution that generates a single email with the full page list, then it is possible:

notification-email-outdated.png

It is done by our app and it works up to multiple 1,000 spaces and multiple 10,000 pages (with cleverly shortening the lists to an actionable size).

Like Koloman Pfeffer likes this
Béla Hegyesi October 30, 2023

Hi @Sheerine Baucum

Great to see this out there! Do you have plans to make automation available for the Standard plan as well? If yes, do you have an expected timeline for that?

Thanks,
Bela

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 6, 2023

When I started really exploring Confluence Automation, I was a bit skeptical that it's worth the extra cost. But my god, it makes Confluence an entirely new app. The possibilities are limitless! We've also learned a whole bunch of best practices that we just shared in a new video: https://youtu.be/bWoQCCQupjw

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events