Removing the Companion app from Confluence Cloud

98 comments

Annabeth Fouts March 22, 2022

Hi @Divya Sriram

Is there timeline for when the file replacement / file editor feature will be available? 

Any more details on what functionality it will have? 

thanks! 

Like # people like this
Michael Simmons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2022

Atlassian hides this functionality, then claims too few people use it, then says they will remove it from those of us who do and maybe one day in the future give us something else because there are too few of us using it (that FOUND it) to matter.

Do I have that right?

Like # people like this
Rowan Page March 30, 2022

@Avni Barman @Divya Sriram 

I find it hard to believe 0.02% of confluence cloud users currently find easily editing word and excel documents from a confluence page useful.......................

You just ruined this organisations productivity by disabling this functionality and have left us scrambling to find a solution, none of them look as good as what you just disabled

Like # people like this
Ian B March 30, 2022

Atlassian have proved cloud-native critics right by ignoring the realities of the real world, removing a useful feature at exceptionally short notice, and giving an arguably suspect and woolly justification for these actions.

The impression I'm getting here is that the Atlassian Companion app is broken, and the reason it's being kept alive for Data Centre has more to do with the amount of money involved, and the infrastructure the client likely has in place.

In my estimation there are only 3 or 4 reasons Atlassian would make this decision and announce it in this fashion;

1. This a security issue, and Atlassian cannot absorb the workload or cost of monitoring and mitigating this fully. Atlassian are relying on customer infrastructure to protect them by implementing a form of restricted communication, and setting implementation best practises to limit liability.
  2. Same as Number 1, but prompted by an upcoming audit or external disclosure of vulnerability they can't mitigate, and the only option is to remove access to the files in the way they are.  
  3. Supporting the app for Cloud users is damaging the support SLAs
  4. Atlassian has decided they can increase profitability by ditching this feature, whether this is by removing an element of internal cross charging, or simply by not needing to expand their support and security staff.

If it's 3 or 4, I don't understand why you didn't simply make Companion functionality reliant on Premium licensing.

@Avni Barman @Divya Sriram  What's the real reason this is being discontinued in one area of your business, but not others? 

Like # people like this
Simon Stannard March 31, 2022

Removing a valued feature with the promise of replacing it with a better feature at some unspecified point in the future.  Pretty poor.

I'm also a little skeptical about the quoted statistics on usage.  I don't know how else you can properly manage document updates within Confluence.  We've been looking at using Confluence as a replacement to Sharepoint.  Actions like this make it very unlikely and consign Confluence to the 'vaguely useful Wiki tool' class.

Like # people like this
Lutz Hoffmann March 31, 2022

The removal of Companion destroys me confluence space. there is a lack of alternatives. The process of downloading, editing and uploading ist not possible, as it creates many files in the download folder.

Working in a team on the same file in confluence becomes impossible because every user creates his own files in another folder.

Disabling Companion leads to serious problems

Like # people like this
Amacos Support March 31, 2022

Really! A disappointing step back to medieval times... Sharing documents, editing and updating them directly is a key feature we need. We deeply regret our decision to have moved into the cloud.

Like # people like this
Frank Rotonta March 31, 2022

@Avni Barman 

So we lose all version control of files if we replace the file? What is the solution to this? 

So I found out that we can keep version control by doing the steps below. (Updated 4/1)

1. Download latest file
  2. Make changes to file and save locally
  3. Go to attachments page for your page
  4. choose file to upload and hit upload. Note the file needs to have the same exact name and it will then update the file and keep version control
Like # people like this
Ricky Dials March 31, 2022

@Avni Barman This affected us today and like many others very disappointed a feature was removed with an alternative. Version control is very important feature for our artifacts and this will be much more time consuming. I think many have sum it up. 

Like # people like this
Renee Aper March 31, 2022

Could you not just leave it in place WHILE you work on a better solution?!?!?  An imperfect tool is better than no tool.  This is crushing my business analysts right now.

Like # people like this
Rowan Page March 31, 2022

Just seeking clarification here

@Avni Barman  ATLASSIAN TEAM
"It is currently a very buggy experience with less than 0.02% of our users using it. Rather than investing team resources to fix this, we decided to put those resources into making this feature available natively in the editor"

OR

@Rachel Robins  ATLASSIAN TEAM
"I'm a technical writer on the Confluence Server and Data Center team, and just wanted to let you know that I recently confirmed with my team that we are continuing to invest in Companion"

Which one is it?

Sounds to me like the Atlassian Companion is continuing to be maintained, this isn't about what users want, this is a product decision to remove capability from Confluence Cloud.

Like # people like this
p0cket0m April 1, 2022

Since today we notice that the Edit button is gone. Companion app always worked for us and we never experienced severe bugs or anything like that. 

Like # people like this
Elena Casanova April 1, 2022

WHAT A HUGE INCONVENIENCE!!!!

Like # people like this
Ian B April 1, 2022

@Renee Aper 

Could you not just leave it in place WHILE you work on a better solution?!?!?  An imperfect tool is better than no tool.  This is crushing my business analysts right now.

This is what makes me think this is a security, legal or compliance issue. Perhaps infringement on someones patent, even? 

@Rowan Page has hit it on the head - the reasoning doesn't make sense.

Like # people like this
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2022

I can understand that removing "buggy features" that are a bit ineffective is one strategy ... after all it is only one way of dealing with editing Office documents...

Reminds me of the Black Knight ... confident he can keep doing his job to the end ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmInkxbvlCs

Like # people like this
Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2022

Whoever is making these decisions in Atlassian is certainly not taking the user experience into consideration. They remove the app at short notice, but don't give a usable alternative. It's not the first time they've done something like this. 

I can't believe that the 0.02% of users number is accurate based on the comments alone from here. How did they come up with that figure? Something sounds wrong there.

Atlassian want everyone to switch to Cloud, but the cloud offering is worse than the on-premise solution. This makes no sense.

This kind of thinking is why my team is looking to switch away from Atlassian products.

Like # people like this
Ian B April 4, 2022

For anyone only interested in version numbers - If you drag and drop the attachment onto the Attachment page, it'll still update the file and give a new version number, no need to delete & re-attach. 

You can also still download the previous versions of the files if you edit the ?version= at the end of the view link, you just can't view them in the embedded viewer.

Edit: You can view them in the viewer by using the version drop-down in top-left. You can also drag and drop onto this window to upload new version, or click the Upload button, top-right

Disappointing all round. This has ended our attempts to unify our workforce onto confluence just as it was beginning to pick up - without this bridging tool it's just impossible. Gritting our teeth and using Sharepoint for everything not strictly development-related looks like the only option now, which is... Crazy. 

Like # people like this
Gaby
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2022

Ist die folgende Ankündigung bereits aktiv?
"In Zukunft können Sie eine Datei direkt aus dem Medienbetrachter und aus dem Editor selbst ersetzen. Wir werden alle neuen Updates in diesem Community-Beitrag veröffentlichen."

Wenn ja, wäre ein Beispiel hilfreich. Das gelingt mir derzeit nicht, auch weil ich nicht weiß, was genau mit "MEDIA VIEWER" gemeint ist.

Meinst du das Office Word-Makro, eingefügt über einen Anhang? Auf den angezeigten Seiten kann ich die Datei im zweiten Schritt nicht aktiv bearbeiten.

Vielen Dank im Voraus für eine Antwort

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 4, 2022

It seems I've wasted a lot of my political capital here at the company trying to get users to embrace file mgmt in Confluence. 

Back to Sharepoint, I guess. What a shame!   

Very disappointed, 

Doug

Like # people like this
Jesse Ahearne April 4, 2022

Our whole tenant used this Companion app and the 'Edit' feature.
We have spent huge amounts of time training people to use this feature to ensure proper versioning throughout Word and Excel docs...

With this feature removed, we now need to train them in;

• Downloading the file
  • enable editing
  • making changes
  • make a saved copy
  • delete the originally downloaded file from the PC folder location
  • Change\Save the file to the exact file name of the original
  • Upload back to Confluence (to keep the file versioning structure)

The solutions that have been provided back by Support Staff and Documentation instruct us to Delete the file from the Confluence page, as if not understanding the versioning function and why this is important.

Concerned more features, perhaps even file versioning may be on the way out and will have to find out when it stops working?

Were the 0.02% of Confluence Cloud users engaged to discuss this app and feature set disappearing or were we supposed to be 'keeping an eye out' for Confluence articles to stay informed?

Like # people like this
Alexander Burrows April 4, 2022

Untitled.jpg

Like # people like this
Steven Smith April 5, 2022

Is this a joke?  This is a terrible user experience.  Unbelievable.  I have always promoted using Confluence to the rest of my organization outside engineering but now I don't see how I can.  This was a bad move to do this without a replacement.  At a minimum,  a notice in the UI where I usually go to get the Companion App should have been  presented to the user.  

I guess OneNote and Dropbox will win the battle at my company.  Ugh....

Sad

Like # people like this
Doug Robinson April 5, 2022

It seems I've wasted a lot of my political capital here at the company trying to get users to embrace file mgmt in Confluence. 

Back to Sharepoint, I guess. What a shame!   

Very disappointed, 

Doug

Like # people like this
Meric R. Akmel April 7, 2022

This is extremely disappointing. Just as I was expecting improvement on Companion (simultaneous editing etc..) everything went backwards. I will not be using Confluence on my next project for sure. 

Like # people like this
Manuel Stehle April 8, 2022

Completely disappointed

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events