Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Removing the Companion app from Confluence Cloud

Dear Atlassian Community,

I am Avni Barman, a Confluence Cloud product manager. Based on recent feedback of the usability of the Companion App, we’ve made the decision to remove the Companion app in Confluence Cloud. You won’t be able to edit files using Companion app after 31 March 2022.

In the future, you’ll have the option to replace a file directly from the Media Viewer and from the editor itself. We will be sure to share any new updates in this community post.

If you are currently using the Companion app, here are some alternatives to try:

1. Use the /slash command to embed Google Drive files and edit these in real-time with your colleagues.

2. Manually replace the file from the Attachments page by deleting and re-uploading the file or by dragging and dropping the file.

Please leave any feedback or questions below in the comments. Thank you!

8 comments

Ollie Guan Community Leader Dec 10, 2021

I hope that in the next 3 years, this removal will not affect Confluence Data Center.

Companion is still widely used in our company's Confluence DC and cannot be replaced.

I will continue to pay attention to the update and feedback of this post, thank you for your announcement @Avni Barman .

Like Avni Barman likes this

The never ending story of Office documents in Confluence.

Keep in mind that Atlassian try's to motivate  enterprise customers to migrate their on-premise (server / data center) instances to the Cloud. These big companies don't use Google services, these users rely on Microsoft Office (on-premise and cloud).

Removing the support to open / edit office documents in without a lot of manual steps would be in my opinion a wrong decision.

Like Carl Trapani likes this

Hi @Ollie Guan , I'm a technical writer on the Confluence Server and Data Center team, and just wanted to let you know that I recently confirmed with my team that we are continuing to invest in Companion, and have no plans to end support for the Companion App method for editing files in Confluence Server and Data Center. 

I'm going to drop a note in our documentation about this as well, so that there's no confusion. 

Rachel

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan Community Leader Dec 12, 2021

Good News, TKS! @Rachel Robins 

Like # people like this

A few years ago, to improve the workflow when editing files, the Companion app was introduced on Server/DC. Now Companion support is being discontinued on Cloud, so the workflow will be as it was before on Server/DC.

From Atlassian's perspective, what will the workflow look like in the future when editing files? Are you guys sure this is a step forward and not 2 steps back? I see a lot of difficulty selling this to our customers.

It makes zero sense when you state that you are continuing to invest in this app...just leave it for customers like us who are happy with the usability.

Very bad decision! Rong way you chouse. You should integrate Atl Companion  in cloud that all of users do not lost theirs time to search and install the one.   

@Rachel Robins@Avni Barman Is there a working solution for our enterprise customers working with Microsoft products (on-premise, M365)?

Like Carl Trapani likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

🏠 Say hello to the new Confluence Home!

Hi Atlassian Community, My name is DJ Chung, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team. Today, I’m excited to share a new and improved version of Home. The new Home helps you ...

1,057 views 8 43
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you