New! Assign and transfer page ownership!

77 comments

Aura Hill June 29, 2023

@Tiffany Chung How do you change page ownership on an overview page? I don't see the option in the ... menu, but I have it on regular pages.  

Like # people like this
Mykaela Doane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 30, 2023

Glad this exists but wish it was possible to do this en masse - multi-select pages to update the owner of. Being able to bulk update would help a lot since there are many pages/subpages and all need to be changed. 

Like # people like this
Tiffany Chung
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2023

Hi @Aura Hill  overview pages do not have the ability to have an owner nor a page byline.

Like # people like this
Tiffany Chung
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2023

Hey @Darrel Jackson page owner is currently not queryable in the page properties report macro. We hear your feedback and are undertaking initial work to make this field queryable so that it can be used in macros. Thank you!

Like # people like this
Darrel Jackson June 30, 2023

Thanks for confirming. Along with Page Status, we won’t be using Page Owner until they can be incorporated in Page Properties Report.

Like # people like this
Stefan Draber July 12, 2023

Hi all,

can I configure who is able to change an owner of a page where the current owner is Owned by Former User (deleted) ? Is it included in any permission?

Like # people like this
Tiffany Chung
Atlassian Team
July 12, 2023

Hi @Stefan Draber

Only the current page owner, and space and site admins are able to change the owner of a page, including when the owner you'd like to change is deactivated/deleted.

Like # people like this
Friedrich Beyer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 13, 2023

Someone at Atlassian apparently thought space home pages/ overview pages somehow are so different from "regular" pages, that you shouldn't be able to change the owner on them, although one can swap out an arbitrary page as a new space home page.

Anyway, there is now a "feature request" (instead of a bug) for that part of the functionality: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-76155

FYI @Aura Hill , @Andy Gladstone 

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2023

@Friedrich Beyer Yes, that's a really weird decision to distinguish homepages from normal ones. In addition to what you mentioned, you can't easily edit labels on them, you can't see the byline items (grey row under the page title). I don't get it why.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2023

@Tiffany Chung I'd like to see an option for an Org Admin to be able to make updates without notifying the original owner. I can see many cases where an employee who is soon being terminated or leaving the company may have to have their pages re-assigned and I wouldn't want to send up some warning signs or red flags. I think there should be a distinction between the actions taken by an Org Admin vs. a Space Admin in this case, with the Org Admin having more stealth capabilities. 

Otherwise this is a fantastic update for the community and Confluence and thanks for sharing!

Like # people like this
Steffen Burzlaff (K15t)
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 19, 2023

We're really happy about this feature and we're using it nearly on a daily basis (especially to update old pages). My team and I even created a Tl;dr short about this news.
Thanks for implementing this!

Like # people like this
Pete Mize July 19, 2023

Why is stealth editing even a consideration?  It seems to me that when stealth edits happen, it indicated that someone wants to be something hidden.

Like C_ Dicker likes this
Tiffany Chung
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2023

@Steffen Burzlaff (K15t) Thank you so much for making and sharing this video! We love it!

Like # people like this
Marin
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 24, 2023

Awesome! Great news. It is very important and useful for our Confluence apps. Will this feature be available in REST API

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Neill Holland July 25, 2023

This is a great feature! Are there any plans to be able to use a "Team" to own a page? I see no mention of this as an option. We have quite a few pages where ownership is collective rather than individual.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
jakob.dziuba
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 25, 2023

@Tiffany Chung 

Thank you for that great addition! We definitely have use cases for that, Owners do not always stay the same.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Sylvain Ménard July 25, 2023

A very nice and awaited feature. Thank you 😀

One important missing sub-function, in my opinion, is the ability to perform batch ownership change on selected pages or on all pages in an entire space, for example.

Like # people like this
Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2023

@Tiffany Chung 

That feature has been awaited for a long time. I really didn't like becoming the owner of the pages that I helped move or copy to a new Space. This created confusion about who the real owner of the page is.

When can we assign an owner to a Space, just like a project lead in Jira projects? Implementing this feature should not be too difficult.

In everyday work, people are requesting access to different Spaces and pages. Without ownership information, it creates a situation where I don't have the information about whom to ask for permission. I see this as a basic feature; there must be someone who owns the Space.

I usually go and check who created the Space, but this doesn't help because that person may have left the company a long time ago. In the next step, I'll check who the Space administrators are, but this data is sometimes out of date as well.

If users organize their Spaces well, then they have a main page with team information, and most of the time, this helps to solve the problem.
It is better to have the option to assign an owner rather than not having this feature.

Like # people like this
Steven Rhodes August 2, 2023

This is a great feature and finally basic functionality implemented. However, there is still a difference between page creator and page owner, and the Content Report Table macro shows the creator not the owner. Maybe this should also be the owner?

Like # people like this
Venugopala Naidu August 15, 2023

@Tiffany Chung Very interesting feature. This is key feature for many key stakeholders and will help them to change the page owner who already left the organisation or team.

Justin Meader
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 18, 2023

@Tiffany Chung Hi Tiffany! Would be great to do this in bulk. Also, if there is a way to change the creator of the page (or to hide them altogether) that would be great. We had an intern move all of our stuff from our previous documentation solution to Confluence, and now his deactivated account name is on every single article. It's not a huge deal, mostly just an aesthetic thing.

Michael OConnor August 24, 2023

Looking forward to being able to specify the current page owner for use in Confluence automations similar to the way {{content.author.fullName}} works to identify the original author. When should we expect to see a corresponding smart value for current owner?

Constantin Ivanov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 27, 2023

This is great, but practically unusable without ability to query current page owner using REST API.
Still only page author/version author are available. In fact, reports become more confusing, when ui shows owner, and any automatic reports - don't

Erki Tammik August 27, 2023

@Tiffany Chung 

+1 for bulk change feature

If an employee leaves the company, it will be a nightmare to change the owner of the pages without a bulk change functionality.
Not all pages need to have a new owner. It would be nice to filter out pages created by a certain person and then do a bulk change of ownership for those pages.

Patrick van Ommeren
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 5, 2023

I don't want to show the owner, is that possible?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events