Introducing embedded Confluence pages in Jira Software!

94 comments

Santiago M_ Gonzalez Souto
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 16, 2021

It is a great feature.
I join to the request to include this within the issues/tasks. It will be useful to create a new page from the issue in Jira like you can add an issue from a page in Confluence.

Like Lennon Liao likes this
Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2021

Thanks @Santiago M_ Gonzalez Souto for the feedback! 

Christophe Raeymaekers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2021

It's a great future however would be more useful if it'd be linked to the board.

We are using a single Software project to manage multiple projects through different Boards.

Since I can only link 1 space or page, I can't use this to its full potential.

For a product based project it works ideally.

Yar December 20, 2021

Amazing work! Can't wait until end of January to see all features unlocked!!!

It be great to have a pop up from the boards next :) 

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

For those of you starting to use this feature, there is a caveat. In the upper right, there is an icon that allows you to select a Confluence space to link to the project. If that space is already linked to another project, the create button in the middle of the page won't work and it won't tell you why. You will also not see any of the pages created in that other space on the Project pages display.

I found this out through my own troubleshooting. The upshot is to create the first page from the Project pages and then let that create and connect its own space to the project. You can always link other Space pages to it later.

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2021

Thank you for the feedback @Christophe Raeymaekers!

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
December 20, 2021

Hi @Danno Thanks for raising this. 🙂  Even though 2 different Jira projects are linked to the same Confluence space, you should still be able to successfully create a page within Jira. If convenient, can you take a screen recording of the issue you are experiencing? Feel free to email it to me. 

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

@Lennon Liaoare you able to see Cloud service requests? I had a ticket open for a day or so until I solved the problem. The information is all on that ticket. It's in JST-716005.

ian_main
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 20, 2021

My first time here...

Sounds good but your mini-videos (animated GIFs?) are a bit hard to follow. They are a really great idea for showing off the new functionality as I don't have time to read lots of text.

Any chance you could find a way to highlight the cursor a bit better? Maybe with a yellow circle around it or something? 

Thanks

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
December 21, 2021

Thanks for the feedback @ian_main. We will look into making the cursor a bit more obvious!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

Great feature to add to Jira! Cannot wait to see it live in our instance. 

Benoit Crouzit January 3, 2022

@Jamie Swanson I can link Confluence pages indeed, but the shortcuts to create or edit would be super helpful

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2022

@Benoit Crouzitit appears that @Jamie Swanson misunderstood your question. The new project pages when first opened has the button to create your first project page right in the center of the blank page.

Confluence button.png

Once you create the first page from that link it also creates a new SPace in Confluence for that project. Once a page is published it will be shown in the Project Pages within the Jira project.

Like Benoit Crouzit likes this
Benoit Crouzit January 3, 2022

@Danno noted, in the way we handle projects, we have templates already created in Confluence so I am unsure this would make sense for us, also I am unsure we use the section "Project Pages" in our Jira.

W. Adam Koszek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 3, 2022

Is there an easy way to do the reverse--write Confluence doc, and as I'm thinking and writing it, easily and quickly create a task or story in JIRA?

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2022

Hi @W. Adam Koszek Yes it is possible to create a Jira task right from a Confluence page. 🙂 Refer to this documentation and look for "Create issues from inside Confluence"

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/use-jira-and-confluence-together/

Let me know if this is what you are looking for! 

Brett Hall January 4, 2022

@Lennon Liao The use case I am hoping gets addressed (or misunderstanding if it has been addressed here) is that we have a user (a vendor with whom we work) whom we've given very specific Jira access (a single board and the issues related to that board). We'd like to give them access to very specific Confluence documentation, too, but cannot because we only want them to see specific pages (and perhaps their children), not entire spaces or even the parents of those specific pages.

I am not sure I am adequately communicating it. Would be happy to explain via a call if that helps.

Lars Fessler January 4, 2022

@Brett HallThat would be page restrictions. Though if the parent is restricted, the child page would be restricted too. You would give space permissions to everybody who shall have access to something in that space and restrict pages (and with them their children) where only certain persons should get access to. So it is the other way around then you described, which is a pain I also hope will get addressed sometime.

Or maybe there is some plugin for that purpose?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-restrictions-139414.html 

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2022

@Brent Hallthis would be the best way to do what you want. If the user has access to one board in a project he could also have access to the project page. Only give the customer permission for the project page space that gets created from the project page.

For the internal Confluence project space, create a label for the documents you want the customer to see (with the appropriate permissions restricting parent documents, etc.) and then add a page using the related labels widget or content by label widget. Using the customer's name in the label would be an obvious choice. Then the Jira project with its restricted board and the associated content by label should be the only things they see.

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2022

Hi @Brett Hall I think I understand your use case. But would still love to hop on a call with you. You can reach me via email and we can set up some time to discuss. Thanks! 

Tami Dubi January 5, 2022

Hi,

This development of the feature and all the features that connect Jira and Confluence takes into grunted that each Jira project should have its own Confluence space. Have you considered that Confluence organization tends to be more similar to the Organizational structure so that there isn't a 1 to 1 connection between the space and the project? 

Are you considering developing the opportunity to choose the space + place that the project documentation will be created?
Thanks

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2022

Thanks for the feedback @Tami Dubi We will look into this as we prioritize our next set of iterations. Would it be okay if I reach out to you separately to dig deeper into your workflow and use case? Thanks!

Like Tami Dubi likes this
Tami Dubi January 10, 2022

Hi, @Lennon Liao sure no problem 

BrentBot_ January 18, 2022

@Lennon Liao Our team utilizes and continues on a path to heavily use automations for our progression of our business plan. Is there a plan to have this further integrated at the issue type level where this will display as a description instead of jira description?

Use case: The automation will be built to identify a custom field which notates client A and then when the issue type is created via automation, the confluence page for details and guidelines with that client will be visible at issue type level, such as a pre-loaded description would be. We can currently do this but if we can do this with the confluence space then the linked confluence space will keep us from having to update the field within the rule. 

Essentially we wouldnt have to hardcode at the automation level and can have one point of update, to keep all automations up to date in real time. I know that confluence links are postable in the description of a field, but i dont think you can view it embedded using automations to produce it.

I would love to connect to show you what we have built as we have a lot of interesting use cases

Dean Capp January 20, 2022

Hi Lennon
When adding pages via Jira, how does it structure them in the Project Pages area? Does Jita just dump them together as a heap of pages, keep them in Epic/Story structure or ???

A thing I do not like about confluence is how unstructured it is esp. for someone trying to find something later.  

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events