Databases are coming soon to Confluence!

129 comments

Divya Sriram
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2024

Hey @Keith Sottung - thanks for sharing, our team is looking into this.

Like # people like this
Sean Blezard January 5, 2024

@Divya Sriram is there any way to get into the beta? 

gino.reyes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 5, 2024

Looking forward to this feature! Will there be a way to add reference visuals (images, jpgs, pngs, pdfs) to the database?

Rachel Li
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2024

Hi @Keith Sottung - regarding the view link bug that you reported, has this been happening for all views or only certain ones? And if it's only been happening for certain views, could you share more detail on the view settings for those views (i.e. filters, sorting, hidden fields, layout)?

Stefano January 15, 2024

We already love databases!

BUT you should let us edit jira issue fields as well! 

We understand the value of having simple, flexible way to store data, but if not linked to a jira filed, it is useless to us.

Our team (like many others) prefers to work with jira fields only! 
thanks 🙏 

Like Natasha Noble-Hunter likes this
Venkatesh Purushothaman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2024

I love this Database feature in confluence.

I created a new Database on my space.

I don't find import options under my confluence domain space for Database. 

Are import & Export options part of standard license ?

Divya Sriram
Atlassian Team
January 18, 2024

Hey folks, the wait is over - we’re excited to let announce that Confluence databases is officially in Beta! All site admins who want to try databases can opt in into the experience from settings. Can’t wait to see everyone try out databases.

Join us on our private community group for Confluence Databases to tell us how you’re using databases and what you'd like to see. More importantly, if you aren’t using Confluence databases, we’d love to learn what’s missing for your teams in order to use the feature?

FYI: we will be migrating our EAP instances to Beta soon & closing the gap on the differences that exist today between EAP and Beta (for example: supporting media like images, referencing entries/values). We wanted to rollout the Beta version as soon as we could so all the folks that wanted to try databases can, as we iterate on it!

Like Michael Junge likes this
Nemanja Babic January 19, 2024

At the moment we can only embed the database in the confluence page by creating it.

When do we expect the ability to do database design in the database instance (which is supported) and have the View (not the native database) only on the confluence page?

Something like this:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 071520.png

Like Michael Payne likes this
백재현/DevOps January 21, 2024

Great. Do you have a plan to support Jira Asset field to Confluence Database?

Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2024

Good morning @Divya Sriram  I've been looking at databases in Confluence. I noticed that there is a way to create a field type. I'm specifically interested in numbers for our business applications. Is there a way to perform basic math function with number values? For example, it would be helpful to perform a sum of accounts receivable, payable, at any point given a row within a database. 

Tami Dubi January 23, 2024

Hi @Divya Sriram ,

I tried to join the Confluence database community and got approved, but still get the lock on the group and can't view the content.
I ran some tests on the beta and found several things:
1. the name of the column doesn't change when you update the column type (for instance, from user to page link)

2. the filters aren't working for update date and for page links isn't working, I try to filter according to a page that is in the table and get a notification that there are no results. (I didn;t check other column filters)
and when I tried to filter from a Confluence page (using the smart link) the filter window jumped after choosing the columns, so there isn't a way to use the filter from a page.  

One more question. For now, the database is in the standard subscription. Is it going to stay like that after the beta is completed?

Best,
Tami

Divya Sriram
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2024

Hey @Nate - great question, we do not have the ability to perform simple math functions like sum/average/count, but that is on our roadmap!

@Tami Dubi - interesting, let me take a look at what's going on with the community team. 

1. That's right, the intention is to respect the column name even if you wanted to change the field type in the case that user has set a specific name. 

2. Would you be able to provide screenshots to showcase what you're trying to do and what you're seeing instead?

3. Databases are in Beta today and free for all. We will have more information on where databases will fit in the subscription tiers in the future!

Like Michael Payne likes this
Kimberly Phillipp January 24, 2024

Confluence databases look very promising.

Currently children are not a valid selection for the 'issue details' field type. Are there plans to include that? (Sub-tasks already exist, but there's no way to show children of epics for example) 

Also could issue links returned via issue details be smart links too? Currently they are links that only show the issue key. 

Leonie January 24, 2024

@Divya Sriram 
is it also planned for on prem installations? when?

Like Jesper Halden likes this
Olie Ryan-George January 25, 2024

Leaving this here while I wait to be accepted into the group. It seems that filtering on linked documents doesn't work.

This is the only row in my database. As you can see, it has the "Energy Attribute Certificates Page" page in its "Page Document" column. 

image.png

However, when I filter by this value for the "Page Document" column, I don't seem to get any results. You can see my filter and my result below.
image.png
I may be doing something wrong here as this is my first time playing around with the beta but I believe this is a bug. I have played around with other filters, such as for tags, successfully.

Like # people like this
Corinne Blessing
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 31, 2024

Hi guys, 
can you tell me how long the beta-stage will be and if databases will be included in the premium plan afterwards? We're discussing to implement a solution using Confluence databases, but we're not sure about the following costs it will generate. 

Like # people like this
Krishna Prasad
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 12, 2024

Is there an option to do word wrap for multiple row values into one column value? 

Like # people like this
Alessandro Presa Perez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2024

@Divya Sriram let me start by saying that this is an awesome feature and we are likely to migrate a ton of things we keep in spreadsheets over to Confluence DBs. Posting feedback here while my request to join the Confluence Databases Private Group is reviewed :)

• Cannot Freeze Columns: if this is missing when using the Table layout, it's really frustrating (can you please confirm?).
  • Cannot @ mention Teams: under User column/field type, it only allows reference to individual Users but we are equally likely to reference Teams. So if this is missing, it’s a bummer.
  • Page Details > Excerpt Content doesn’t work: it’s not displaying any data for me, despite having text in the underlying Confluence Page AND having a Linked Page column in the database (or at least I cannot get it to work).
  • Database data available via API: will the data stored in a Confluence DB become queryable via API? This would be SUPER impactful.
  • Grouping of Headers: it’d be nice to have the ability to add extra header rows to group columns thematically (for display-only purposes).
  • Link Formatting: for link-type columns, it’d be nice to have default formatting options. E.g. for a Salesforce Case, I’d prefer to display the case ID (e.g. ID-1234 ) rather than displaying the full URL string.
  • Formula Fields: I realise that the feature isn't even GA yet but sharing this feedback early because for all our assets to be migrated to Confluence DB, we will eventually require the flexibility to create custom fields with formula logic. Some frequent examples: compute difference between dates, IF statements, basic math operations.
Like # people like this
Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2024

@Divya Sriram Will there be the ability to save views for databases? For example, my db has 10 columns, but I'd like to filter out data columns so I can focus on just the significant information to answer questions. I know that I have the ability to change the visibility of these, but I'd like the ability to save a view for future use. 

Divya Sriram
Atlassian Team
February 15, 2024

We're adding everyone who's joining our private community group as quickly as we can, thanks for your interest!

@Nate Dickinson - yes, Confluence databases have the ability to save views today in the Beta experience!

Bram Greijmans
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 23, 2024

Hey @Divya Sriram I think the release of Databases is essential, so congrats on these steps! 

I think one thing that still puts us on the fence (mainly in the decision around Confluence vs. Notion) is that the layout of entries is still quite behind competitors like Notion. 

I think you can add more things now (like cover images), but still if you look at an entry in a Notion database it's really more a subpage, while displaying the more 'database' features at the top. This gives a ton of extra options, like adding a full description to the entries, including adding titles, images, links, etc. 

You can of course add a description field as plaintext field, but it's not the same. Are there any plans to get those functionalities in for the entries and if so, when can we roughly expect that? 

Thanks!

Stefan Froehlich February 23, 2024

@Bram Greijmans The way we got around this is if you add a column "Page Link" which can either link to an existing Confluence article or create a new one at the desired location. This will then add the Entry details on the top and provide you with a full confluence page at the bottom.

What we are waiting for now is a way to hide certain entry fields (like in Notion). 

Bram Greijmans
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 26, 2024

Interesting @Stefan Froehlich for us it just shows the link to the confluence page then (and does not add or display any contents to the entry). Also with the excerpt content it just doesn't really work unfortunately..

Iroshan De Zilva
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 5, 2024

@Divya Sriram  I'm considering fully migrating from Notion to Confluence.

I want to know the cost of the database feature once it's released to production. How will this impact our team's costs?

I assume there are three possible scenarios:

• Pay as an extra add-on, not included in Confluence
  • Included with Confluence but will increase current Confluence pricing
  • No pricing change it will comes as a free option with few limitation, paid plan will has unlimited access.

Can you confirm the for this?

Like # people like this
Daniel Ferreira March 6, 2024

@Iroshan De Zilva , good question.

The FAQ is ambiguous about this:

Confluence databases are free for customers participating in the beta. Pricing is subject to change when the beta period ends.

This could mean that either all customers participating in the beta will get the feature for free (indefinitely) or that the feature is only free during beta, then paid afterwards.

@Divya Sriram , could you please clarify that? 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events