Databases are coming soon to Confluence!

129 comments

Eric Vervoordeldonk December 5, 2023

@Divya Sriram It would be great if we where able to make it possible to create Pie charts or other charts from the data within the databases on an Confluence page.

Keith Sottung December 5, 2023

What is the difference between Confluence Database and ServiceRocket's Reporting add on?  Does anyone know?  Should I not renew this add on? 

JG Meillaud _ December 6, 2023

@Divya Sriram,

Looks like the beta is now open to more people (including me 🙂)

I don't think I can add "Other databases fields". https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/create-and-edit-databases/

Does anyone know if this is already available? or when it will become?

Thanks,
JG

Like # people like this
Daniel Ferreira December 6, 2023

How do I check if I have it? I didn't get any notification.

Stefan Froehlich December 6, 2023

I would also love to know when the "Other database fields" will become available. No information anywhere if this is a feature that will only come later or intended to be rolled out immediately. Would be great to know

Like # people like this
Danja Karenko December 8, 2023

UPDATE: Seems like feedback should be posted in the private group: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Databases/cmp-p/grouphub%3Aconfluence-databases

Some feedback from our test user base thus far:

• At least the beta seems to lack a crucial feature: database embeds. The docs mention it herebut when I type /database I only see create new database. Therefore, I can't actually use a database's contents anywhere.
  • The alternative embedding option via the URL works partially, but I don't see any way of choosing which fields I would like to see. If I embed, it's the whole row or nothing. If I would e.g. want to have just one or two fields visible, it's not possible.
  • It is also missing "Other databases fields" field type which would be rather important for our use case. 
  • So as it is, I don't think we could use it.
  • It would be also good (but perhaps not strictly required) to have constraints such as required field, adhering to some pattern, and advanced stuff like if column A equals to something, then column B must be between 1 and 5. I'm thinking something like if the "status column is set to 'DONE', then ID field must be present".

Is there a central channel to provide such feedback?

Wes Farnsworth December 8, 2023

I'm sad to see that there isn't an option to pull in user profile photos as a field. 

JG Meillaud _ December 12, 2023

Hi @Stefan Froehlich ,

It is now available.

It used to hidden, accessible only thanks to an invisible scroll bar. Now the scroll bar is visible.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 104840.png

Also you cannot search for "other database field" but rather "entry list" for example.

Kudo to @Darryl Lee with who we found the solution at the Amsterdam Unleash Support bar!

Cheers,
JG

Like Stefan Froehlich likes this
Stefan Froehlich December 12, 2023

@JG Meillaud _ Excellent, thank you so much! Now I just need the time to play around with it :)

Like Keith Sottung likes this
Arto Kovalainen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 12, 2023

Just tried the beta version and it feels very promising. One thing I was immediately missing was field types (space key) and (space name) It would be useful to list in the DB field where the page is located. 

Like Keith Sottung likes this
Hyunwoo _Shaun_ Kim
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 12, 2023

@Divya Sriram Seems like some people are using the beta already! is there a way I could use the beta as well?

Like Amy Le likes this
Patricia Modispacher _appanvil_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2023

Can I also use these to do some calculations? Like sum numbers or something?

Like Michael Payne likes this
Rui
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 18, 2023

What is Atlassian's definition of "soon"? I understand that this is now in closed Beta, it's almost 9 months later though.

Like # people like this
Sean Blezard December 24, 2023

Gutted I haven’t been able to get access to the beta - I guess I’ll have to patiently wait for the public version.

Keith Sottung December 26, 2023

Question, will Database permit connection to Page Properties fields and/or AppFire (formally ServiceRocket) add-on: Scaffolding? Or AppFire (formally Comaltech) add-on: Document Management particular the workflow status?  I've attached an image:

db view - access workflow status and scaffolding data.png

Like # people like this
Keith Sottung December 26, 2023

Question, will Confluence Database allow what is listed to be base on CQL statement?  For example, show all pages with the label: "meeting-notes". Right now it looks like for every item you want to be in the "database" (table) you have to add the row.  Maybe I'm missing something? 

Like Michael Payne likes this
Keith Sottung December 27, 2023

Question: will the Database Meta View on a page have options on how it will appear if exported to PDF?  To me, user should the option to: Hide or Show the meta view. 

I've attached some images: the second image below show how the meta view appears in an exported PDF. It only shows it as a link :-( . 

db page view.pngdb pdf view.png

Question: Will Atlassian be making more meta data available than just the create and mod data points? One immediate suggestion is adding the Page Owner, the page Creator is not always the page Owner. :-)  I know there is a A LOT more meta data available. To prove my point, I've attached some images. :-) 

db meta data alllwoed.pngdb meta data view.png

Question: I see Atlassian has already built in the option to add ("page create") page option from the database view and it can also be configured to be based on a Space Page Template which is great but will you be adding the option to tag the "db meta view" to the template created page? I see it does do this if db page create configuration is set to the option "database entry macro". I've attached some images. 

db add meta view to page - add page from db view.pngdb add meta view to page - template or db preset.png

Like Sarah Allis likes this

Question: Is Atlassian planning to allow the Board view to leverage the Page Status and not the Tag item?  I've attached some images:

db board view - db list.pngdb board view -board column views .png

Bug found:  Using the filter option "does not contain" will work when used, but when I go to save using the "Update view" is flips to the "contains" condition. I've added an image: db bug found.png

Question: How do you navigate down a cell? It works nicely with Tab to next cell.. but how can I quickly navigate down a cell? Especially when there is drop down to navigate past. From the image, I want to tab Page status going down the column... it won't let me unless I used the mouse to click in the cell. :-( db want to tab down cells and not across.png

Bug Found: Pasting a db view link to browser fails. When I save the db view link then paste it to browser it displays "No entries found!" .. to get it to work I had to re-click through the view choices. 

db paste db view link to browser fails.pngdb paste db view.png

Keith Sottung December 28, 2023

@Divya Sriram Hello, I left a handful of questions about Confluence Database. It has a lot of potential. thanks

Keith Sottung December 29, 2023

Strange behavior: After messing with Confluence Database in one of my User Story writing spaces, several pages were duplicated. They appear in Draft designation in the navigational side panel. (see images) No matter what I do, it seems I can not get rid of them. There is no way to open them and say "delete them".  I opened a support ticket with Atlassian. (https://support.atlassian.com/requests/PCS-239354/)

I'm really stuck. Has anyone else had this problem?  

2023-12-28 16_02_54-Window.png2023-12-28 16_03_40-.png

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events