Creating Jira issues directly from Confluence? There's a template for that! πŸŽ‰

πŸ‘‹ Avinoam from Confluence Automation here again!

A few weeks ago we posted about the new Create Jira Action in Confluence Automation and just yesterday we posted about all the new triggers and actions we've added.

One of the things we're also going to be adding is more Confluence Automation templates to help you get started quickly with all these new triggers and actions, and today we're starting with a brand new template to help you super charge your product development work across Confluence and Jira!

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 1.13.31 PM.png

Below, I'll walk you through a quick example use case of how as a PM, which I am, I would use this to make sure the engineers on my team know to review my product requirement documents as part of how they work in Jira. I'll also include some new things we support as part of the Jira Create Action to make it even better.

New Template: Create a Jira issue for engineering to review new product requirements 

This is already available to all Confluence Premium and Enterprise to use!

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.06.05 AM.png

Quick configurations

Once I click into the template all I have to do is quickly choose based on which user to include in the condition for the trigger to fire, connect to my desired Jira project, add the task type, and choose the fields I want to show up in the created Jira issue. To make sure that engineers can know which page this issue is referring to all I have to do is add the {{page.url}} smart value in the description. (we're working on having that auto sync in the near future, but for now this is the quickest way to make sure the Confluence page and Jira issue are in sync).

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.26.04 AM.png

(We've added support for more field types support within Jira)

Previously we only supported Assignee, Description, and Due Date. In this example I chose a few that seemed relevant.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.09.15 AM.png

Once I turn on the rule, it shows up right in my rule library

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.11.31 AM.png

I create a product spec for a new feature

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.32.21 AM.png

New Jira Issue is Automatically created in Jira

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.26.48 AM.png

My product spec page is linked in the issue description

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.27.13 AM.png

Like I said, this is just the first template for creating issues in Jira to better support you and your teams in your product development.

πŸ’‘ Need some inspiration on how to use this new template, especially with all the new triggers and actions too?

• When Task Created then create Jira Issue

• When Task Status Changed / Completed then create Jira Issue
  • When Page Status Changed then create Jira Issue

• When Page Owner Changed then create Jira Issue

When it will be available?

The new template is already fully available to all Confluence Premium and Enterprise customers

ℹ️ Friendly reminder: Automation is only available in Confluence Cloud Premium and Enterprise. If you’d like to try it out, you can start a free trial in your admin portal under manage plans.

We want to hear from you!

We’d love your feedback and ideas for templates you'd like to see us build! So please feel free to schedule time with us directly here or drop a comment on this post πŸ™

10 comments

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2023

Thanks for the info Avinoam!

While this can be quite useful, it would be even better if you could actually connect/link the Confluence page and create Jira issues via the native Link Confluence page feature (within Jira). So, it would be great if automation would support that - like you would select fields you wish to edit/set, something like option Confluence links and/or Web links would be cool too.
I know this is actually a 'general' automation request so I hope no one minds if I post it here as well.

Like β€’ # people like this
Mike Monk August 17, 2023

Will it be possible to add in Smart Values to link to other entities? (e.g. if you have a list of approvers on the Confluence page and have used the people picker to @ them then use that list in the Automation to create tickets and notifications for each person)

Like β€’ Avinoam likes this
Dan Tombs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2023

Thanks for sharing @Avinoam, I see a big use coming from when new tasks are created, when the future triggers on page statuses are updated etc. In regards to the field types now available. When will custom fields be available etc?

Like β€’ Avinoam likes this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2023

Thanks all for the great comments and questions! Will answer them in the order they were received:

@Tomislav Tobijas this is an excellent point and the #1 request when it comes to the Create Jira Action! The smart value option available today is definitely more of a workaround and the team is working on having it auto-sync as you described. Once that's closer to being ready we'll be sure to let you all know!

@Mike Monk currently you can leverage any of the supported smart values. As far as the use case you're describing of linking an @mention from a Confluence page to tickets in Jira, that's on our radar and which we're still exploring!

@Dan Tombs thanks for the feedback! Custom fields should become available by end of September.

Like β€’ # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2023
Ann Rumenapp August 29, 2023

When creating a Jira issue in Confluence that has required fields for the issue type, does Confluence also require those fields to be populated?

For example: In my organization, Epic's have 2 required custom fields (Work Type and Project).  Will these fields be required when creating an Epic in Confluence?

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
August 29, 2023

@Ann Rumenapp can you elaborate on what you mean by an Epic in Confluence?

Ann Rumenapp August 29, 2023

An Epic is a Jira issue type that would be created from Confluence for the Jira project.  Similar to a Story

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
August 29, 2023

Thanks, I see what you mean now. When creating an Epic in Jira from Confluence Automation you can use the supported fields to make sure your required fields are populated according to your Jira best practices. 

See: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Creating-Jira-issues-directly-from-Confluence-We-ve-released/ba-p/2457921?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=kudos_article&utm_content=topic

Wade H December 4, 2023

This is an awesome new feature and very helpful. Our org uses Confluence pages to manage what work we will be doing in the future, to that end our product owners then create epics in Jira for a specific page in Confluence. It would save a lot of time and copy/past if we could populate specific custom fields in Jira with specific data on the Confluence page.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events