Unlock more Confluence Automation use cases with new triggers and actions!

New triggers and actions in Automation for Confluence, read all about it!

👋 Avinoam from the Confluence Automation team here and I’m super excited to announce the availability of not one, not two, not three, but 12 new triggers and actions that will allow you to unlock even more critical use cases with Confluence Automation! And this is just the beginning, as in the coming weeks we’ll be adding even more triggers and actions. 🎉

ℹ️ Quick reminder

If you haven’t used Automation for Confluence yet, actions are one of the three main components that make up an automation rule: 1️⃣ Trigger 2️⃣ Condition 3️⃣ Action:

image-20230627-180413 (1).png

When something happens (trigger) if it meets specific parameters (condition) then do something (action).

That could be as simple as “when a page is published (trigger), by Bob Smith, CEO (condition), then send a Slack message to the #executive-team channel (action).”

So, what’s new?

We’ve added the following new triggers and actions including splitting rule components to reflect pages and blogs individually for better accuracy of rule setup and execution based on your feedback:

New triggers:

• Page Moved

• Page Deleted

• Page Commented

• Page Labeled

• Page Copied

• Page Archived

• Blog Commented

• Blog Labeled

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 8.08.24 AM.png

New actions:

• Restrict Page

• Delete Page

• Change Page Status

• Delete Blog

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 8.09.14 AM.png

What’s coming next?

By mid-September we’ll be following up with these as well:

Triggers:

• Task Created

• Task Status Changed / Completed

• Page Owner Changed

Actions:

• Change Page Owner

• Move Page

Beyond this, we have plans to continue adding even more Confluence Automation triggers and actions as other Atlassian cross-product-related actions as well, so stay tuned as we’ll be posting about those when they’re ready for release.

💡 Need some inspiration on how to use these new triggers and actions?

• When Task Created then create Jira Issue

• When Task Status Changed / Completed then Change Page Status

• When Task Status Changed / Completed then add label

• When Page Owner Changed then Change Page Status

• When Page Owner Changed then Change Page Restrictions

• When page copied then Change Page Owner

• When page copied then Change Page Status

• When page copied then change page restrictions

• When page moved location then change page status

• When page moved location then change page owner

• When page moved location then change page restrictions

• When page moved location then notify me

• When Page Deleted then notify me

• When Page Archived then notify me

When it will be available?

The 12 new triggers and actions are already fully available to all Confluence Premium and Enterprise customers. By mid-September we’ll be adding more triggers and actions.

ℹ️ Friendly reminder: Automation is only available in Confluence Cloud Premium and Enterprise. If you’d like to try it out, you can start a free trial in your admin portal under manage plans.

We want to hear from you!

We’d love your feedback so please feel free to schedule time with us directly here or drop a comment on this post 🙏

10 comments

Dan Tombs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2023

@Avinoam WOW! This was a great thing to see this morning. Thank you very much for sharing the news with us all. I'm loving to see some of the stuff we spoke about come through and continue to develop the automation engine within Confluence.

QQ - We spoke about the CQL to also run other similar triggers. Are these available or do the triggers action through other ways?

Keep up the good work.

Like # people like this
Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2023

Read all the way through the article thinking this is wonderful! This is so cool! Only to have my hopes and dreams crashed by eight simple words "Automation is only available in Confluence Cloud Premium". :(

Like # people like this
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 16, 2023

@Collista Lewingdon Yes, that's disappointing to many...btw, what are the use cases that would be most valuable for you?

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2023

Nice, thank you.

Benjamin Lentz September 27, 2023

At first, we were pretty excited to use these in our business to support the automatic import of specific hierarchy of pages of an existing space to a newly created space (in a dependency like not private and name starting with a number or sth like that) but it seems like this scenario is not possible. Please give me a hint if i am missing something. 

Anyway, i like the ongoing development in Atlassian products and want to thank you for the work you put into new features.

Best Regards

marcin.prokop September 28, 2023

That's great! Thanks

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2023

Looking forward to putting these to good use!

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2023

To mention a viable alternative, you can also use the Better Content Archiving app to implement many of the use cases above. It takes an approach that is different from Confluence Automation, but it can, for example:

1. Automatically set custom page status (up to 20) to all your pages using custom filters and use the status to power other automations
  2. Automatically archive pages that match a custom filter (not viewed, not updated, labeled, hitting their end-of-life date, etc.)
  3. Send custom notification emails using a filter and schedule
  4. Work with its powerful page owner feature (multiple owners per page, inherited owners, etc.).

Note that it supports Confluence Standard, Premium, Enterprise plans, too!

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 6, 2023

Sorry Change Page Status you're acting your heart out in our latest Confluence Automation best practices video, but I didn't highlight you! https://youtu.be/bWoQCCQupjw?t=855

You'll make it into the "Reiner Cut" of the video for sure!

Like Avinoam likes this
Adrian Hülsmann - B1NARY
Marketplace Partner
March 5, 2024

Confluence automation is a good starting point for content management. However, depending on your scenario, you may hit limits regarding the management of the content lifecycle.

For instance, it would be beneficial to have dedicated views for showing pages to review or archive and have analytics on your review process and overall content quality.

For this reason, you might check out the Confluence plugin Breeze.

It is far beyond the scope of Confluence automation and automatically identifies outdated pages and implements review and archiving workflows for keeping your pages up-to-date.

3.gif

Breeze is a feature-packed content lifecycle management solution and includes

• automated content analyses,
  • page review and archiving workflows,
  • page and space ownership,
  • reports and notifications,
  • bulk archiving and deletion,
  • analytics,
  • data export for all your content, ownership, and status information
  • and more to update outdated pages quickly and enhance collaboration.

👉 Give it a try, or feel free to schedule an appointment with me for a personal demo.

Cheers and all the best, Adrian from B1NARY (we are the developers of Breeze)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events