Confluence - new editing experience.

Bob Sovers November 7, 2019

Now that the comments are closed on https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/Try-out-the-new-editing-experience/td-p/1000813

There is no way to continue the discussion without starting a new page.

This seems very inconsiderate of Atlassian to decide that any conversion thread on the previous page no longer can be replied to nor commented on.

6 comments

The only thing that we can do on the old discussion is add tags (until the figure out how to stop that functionality.  So far I've added the tags: 

• dead
  • comments_closed
  • atlassian_now_ignoring

I'm going to see how long the tags last before they are removed.

Helen OBoyle November 7, 2019

Too funny, @Bob Sovers ... but I think it is important that people see "atlassian_now_ignoring", because it tells them to post somewhere else if they want Atlassian to notice their comment.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 7, 2019

I removed these tags for violation of our community etiquette as well as inaccuracy, as we are not ignoring your feedback. 

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
Bob Sovers November 8, 2019

I was at least hoping for an Atlassian staff person to see them before they were deleted.

Oh well.  Hope springs eternal that the actual Atlassian staff will read any of this!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2019

It looks like the comments were read, and found to be offensive, and then removed (at least that's what my emails look like)

There are a few lines here - telling Atlassian (or the community) that you think they are wrong is fine.  Insults and demonstrably wrong statements (which is what I have seen here) - no. 

Those posts were not "opinions" or "freedom of speech", they were lies and unjustifiable attacks, which are not acceptable.  Don't do that.

I guess that I was not the only one concerned about the comments closing.  @Tom Crowleyalso started https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-discussions/Inability-to-post-comments-on-previous-thread/td-p/1221755 

Tom Crowley November 7, 2019

Hi Bob, yeah, I created a new post because I felt like I owed someone a reply. I was in the middle of a few conversations with non-Atlassians that I can't continue now. I was debating setting up a new open forum to continue these discussions, but you beat me to it!

I think it's important that we keep somewhere like this to keep communication and conversations open, even if it's not somewhere Atlassian team members are going to read.

Some of their announcements (like the AMA and the webinar-cum-premium sales pitch) only got noticed by people because we linked them on that channel. It was more than just bandying around criticisms and negative feedback, people were getting help and answers (from other communitarians) on that channel, and that's now been closed off. I'm pretty disappointed in them if I'm honest.

Like # people like this

Thanks Tom.  I agree that all we can do is keep the discussions going as long as Atlassian lets us.  I was very disappointed when they cut off the comments on the previous discussion.

There is no good way to re-direct people here after Atlassian cut it off.  I hope that people find this discussion thread.

Like Helen OBoyle likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 7, 2019

@Tom Crowley I don't see your new thread anymore but if you want, I can link your new thread from the previous one so people can find it.

I changed the name on my other thread as it was too specific a topic, so the link won't work. I've created a new discussion page here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-discussions/Discussion-page-for-users-affected-by-the-editor-change/td-p/1222979 that hopefully meets the guidelines and user needs, so if you didn't want to link to this one, @Monique vdB, there is a new one.

I'm not precious about it, and I'm not trying to steal people away from Bob's page! But I think it would be helpful to have a page linked from the other discussion, and also for someone at Atlassian to make clear whether or not they would be monitoring the page (as in whether you'd be lifting feedback from it or not, not whether we've got carte blanche to rail on you! Don't want anyone getting blocked now!)

Like I said, I'm not concerned whose or which page is used, that one, this one, a new one, but something could be useful.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 8, 2019

Perfect, I've linked your thread from the previous discussion so all participants have been notified. And yes, we will continue to listen to the feedback as it comes in and make sure the product team is aware. Thanks for being mindful of the guidelines!

Like Tom Crowley likes this

As an aside, they were advertising a revamped navigation feature somewhere (due any time within the next "few months"), but I can't find the link. Have you seen it?

Maybe it's not that. That was updated a couple of days ago, so I thought it might have been, but no. I think it's was a blog. Oh well, I guess I'll find out if it happens.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 7, 2019

@Tom Crowley is this community post what you were thinking of, maybe?

Yes! Thank you!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 7, 2019

@Bob Sovers your tone is crossing the line of our community guidelines. Please note:

Name-calling and disparaging Atlassians... is against the rules.

I'm the one who closed the thread and I invited you to start a new discussion so you could continue the conversation. It doesn't give you license to start disparaging Atlassian.

If you want to try again, I can link the new discussion from the previous one so people can find it and keep the conversation going. But I'm not directing people to a thread that starts off by calling us "rude." Anyone can feel free to ping me if you start a new thread in line with our community etiquette. 

Also this is your third reminder about our community voice and tone, and we reserve the right to suspend your account. You may want to consider taking a break from responding if you think adhering to our guidelines might be an issue, because we do value your constructive feedback. 

I'm at communitymanagers@atlassian.com if you want to reach out directly or have any questions. Thanks!

Like # people like this
Helen OBoyle November 9, 2019

I empathise with @Bob Sovers who seems to be frustrated by a lack of communication as much as anything, who then saw the ante raised by Atlassian closing the thread. That action (likely unintentionally) could appear to others out here to support his assertion that Atlassian aren't interested in the content of the thread.

I ask Atlassian to be aware that some people have made "big bets" on signing up to their ecosystem either as a customer or a vendor. People have staked their careers to build businesses and migrate entire orgs to this platform, or on it as a platform managers chose for them and they accepted as good enough for whatever they're doing (writing in it or developing add-ons being common ways people work with it). If it's changing in ways that they see as less-good, it could have major implications for their lives.

The Atlassian suite is a platform that may be used for key functionality within larger businesses, not a dinner delivery or phone photo editing application. It is fundamentally different in that way, even though it may be built by programmers and designers who've also created dinner delivery applications, and used by people who also use dinner delivery applications when they get peckish late in the evening. Customers have different expectations of platform companies -- having worked in the enterprise space at Microsoft, I lived this. Passions will fly higher than for a dinner delivery application that released a less usable new version, and in the interests of transparency, sometimes it will happen publicly.

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley November 12, 2019

Anyone else get this email?!

Hi,

Thanks for using Atlassian Cloud. We'd love to hear about your experience administering Atlassian cloud products in this quick online survey.

We will be reading every response. Your honest feedback helps us make Atlassian Cloud administration better for you and others.

Dan Winkler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2019

@Tom Crowley  Yep, I received it yesterday morning. I'm an admin, and I'd been doing Admin-type stuff earlier that day, so I assumed that's why I received it.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events