Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Confluence - external links to open in new browser window

Sharon Halpin March 3, 2023

Feature Request:

Global option to set external URLs/links to open in a new browser window (target="_blank")

with an option to toggle on/off.

Thank you.

3 comments

Comment

Rick Westbrock March 6, 2023

Based on this post from three years ago my guess is that we will never see this feature: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-questions/External-link-open-in-new-window-Confluence-cloud/qaq-p/1337135

Like Sharon Halpin likes this
Sharon Halpin March 6, 2023

Thank you @Rick Westbrock   

Yes, looking at the thread you linked to it doesn't look very hopeful. 

And yet all links in this Atlassian community open in a new tab so I don't see why this can't be an option in Confluence.

I will just have to remember to 'right-click > open link in a new browser window.'

mb March 8, 2023

You can just use middle mouse click.

Rick Westbrock March 8, 2023

Wow, I never knew that was a thing. Thanks for sharing that trick.

mb March 8, 2023

It also works on page refresh etc… E.g. if u need to open the same Confluence page twice.

Sharon Halpin March 9, 2023

@mb  ohh that's good to know - thank you!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2023
Don Traub April 6, 2023

I really do hope that someone is paying attention to this request. I have been using Jira for several years and it's something that is difficult to habituate to since it is definitely not best practices and so every other platform I work with does open a separate page. I don't know how much total time I have lost, but even if it were only one hour over all of these years, that's an hour I'd like to have back. When I do make the mistake, I go to my recently closed, but I would imagine that not everyone chooses that efficient route. So, I have to imagine that there's a lot of lost time with all of my other team members who are not using this simple process to resolve this pain in the butt.

In any case it would be great if this issue was treated with a higher level priority. I would love it!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events