Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This month 1 like = 1 tree 🌳 (and that’s just the beginning)

224 comments

Comment

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 28, 2023

@Craig Nodwell oh I KNOW you're not done 😉

Only 926 left!!! 🌳

Like • # people like this
Dana A July 28, 2023

This so wonderful to see that we only need 926 left, lets rock this Friday and hit it out of the park!!! 

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2023

Woooo I want to like this but my Like-O-Meter is broken.
A Tree Should Be Planted For This

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2023

🌳

🌳

🌳

🌳

🌳

🌳

🌳

🌳

🌳

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2023

Has everyone liked this post yet?

IMG_8699.png

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2023

Hey @Craig Nodwell I'm now heading to your league where Trees to plant are lesser than the trees I've planted😋

Screenshot_20230728-230620.jpg

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2023

@Monique vdB I want my trees planted among @Craig Nodwell Forest 😋

Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2023

We left out one of the most important trees - the Truffula tree! Love me some Dr. Seuss! 

truffula tree.png

Dana A July 28, 2023

@Summer_Hogan now this one brings back some sweet memories, Thank you ! 

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2023

FINALLY I joined the club!

tpss.png

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2023

Ladies and Gentleman!

End Of Days GIFs | Tenor

We are soooo close..

Kevin Tuei
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2023

Every time I reminisce on the ambience that there is when reading my favorite book under a tree upcountry, I am resolute in supporting initiatives that support restoring the trees by planting and growing trees. 

johann-siemens-EPy0gBJzzZU-unsplash (1).jpg

Let's have more of the green and blue on earth through our trees and oceans. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 29, 2023

I was going to post today's thermometer - but with only 114 trees left to plant, my thermometer rounds up to 100%! We're going to make it happen! 🎉

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2023

I had a goal of 3000 this year.
I hit 3020 woohooo
And 58 left !!!
Yes Sir Yes Sir3020.jpg
A Tree Should Be Planted For This.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2023

Booooooooooooooooommmmmm, we did it!

Frederik Vantroys
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2023

1rRk

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2023

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2023

Screenshot_20230729-234829.jpg

Sanjen Bariki
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2023

Nice :) 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 30, 2023

1602233779488.gif

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 10.54.13 AM.png

Congratulations to this amazing community - we did it with time to spare!!!! Next July, what do you think - 40,000 trees?

Wrapup post and updated Tree Tracker will be live next week but in the meantime THANK YOU for helping us plant all these trees!!! This is the best community on the planet.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2023

@Monique vdB Can we get a list of the top 10/20 "planters"?

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2023

Amazing achievement thanks to @Monique vdB and all that contributed to this.

I am naturally an optimistic person but when it comes to making a positive difference to this planet, it is hard to feel optimism. 

However, this project and the other environmental initiatives not only makes a tangible difference but it also shows me that a lot of people DO care.  It is also amazing to share peoples experiences but also for us to learn from other peoples experiences.  

We all can do more, myself included but I always say choose awareness over blissful ignorance. Keep trying to do more, no matter how small and seemingly insignificant those changes may be.

animated-greeting-card-change-the-world.gif

I don't want to kill the positivity but I have to bring attention to the area that HAS to change for the future of the planet...

Rewilding, replanting, reforesting all exists to undo the damage we humans have already done BUT unfortunately, these projects run at a rate that can't even come close to matching the rate of destruction that happens each and every day globally.  

In the UK for example, centuries of deforestation predominantly for farming has left the UK with just 13% forest cover, leading to the extinction of hundreds of species of flora and fauna, the story is similar across most of Europe...

Even today, property developers building on green-belt sits get a badge for "considerate construction" because they will plant a new tree for each one they destroy.  There are issues with this.  If they destroy a mature forest, they will destroy trees that could be hundreds of years old, they destroy an entire ecosystem with plants and animals that have lived in symbiosis.  The act of destruction also releases some of the captured carbon, it has largely ignored effects on the stability of the soil and the ground and no matter what is planted, it will never replace what was lost, what would have spanned several human lifetimes.  The trees they plant are pure numbers, they plant a row of trees on a roadside, which will not be able to turn into a haven for animal species to return because of traffic but they tick that box. 

Across the world, the rate of deforestation is scary.  I have seen first hand in Malaysia, Indonesia, Central and South America the damage that is still being done and the effects it is having in the local areas and wider world. 

These ecosystems in particular are so precious because the density and variety of all life there is vital to supporting all life, including humans! Human ingenuity, technology or AI is not ever going to replace our dependency on other species for our own existence...

Not only that, our ignorance and human induced destruction is wiping out other species that have just as much right to exist as we do.  

Having spent several months in Mexico and Belize recently, learning the story of the Mayan civilisation, thousands of years ago, what we know of their mistakes should be enough for us to learn not to make the same mistakes, yet here we are....
 https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-did-the-mayan-civilization-collapse-a-new-study-points-to-deforestation-and-climate-change-30863026/ 

So as much as rewilding, reforestation, tree planting is and will continue to make a difference, we need to keep that going until the scales are tipped in favour of replanting instead of deforestation.

We should learn to understand the complex nature of deforestation, particularly the countries where this is happening, why they often feel they have no choice and to open our eyes to the exploitation that occurs in these countries by foreign superpowers and the lack of morality of huge corporations...

We should think about why deforestation happens, what products we consume that contribute, how can changes we make in our purchasing decisions make a difference.  You cant undo the agriculture that exists but you can make product choices that to your best knowledge are ethical, sustainable and commit to helping the communities who depend on these practices, through fair pricing for their products and education.  

I want end in the most positive way possible so I will encourage you, whatever country or continent you are from to look up rewilding and species reintroduction projects that are happening.  There is momentum building through collective awareness, truth and taking positives steps, we can all contribute to turning the tide.

I will share an example of what can be done even in just 20 years.
I visited Cloudbridge forest reserve in Costa Rica.  From a forest dissected and destroyed to allow farming to an ecosystem full of life and incredible biodiversity.
https://www.cloudbridge.org/the-project/reforestation/ 

Cloudbridge.png

It is proof that what we do today can start making a difference almost immediately

Utkarsh Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2023

Loving this. 

Palm Trees , a c e f n r s u y GIF

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2023
  • Why is it all quiet here?
  • When will the plantation start?
  • What is the location of plantation?
  • Whom to followup or any newsletter as a followup on our plantation progress?
  • What are the next initiatives to follow up and contribute?
Like • Monique vdB likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events