Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kudos Levels feedback

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2023

Hello,

I know I have already written about this but after having worked for literal months to get up to level 12, having accrued 50,000 points, imagine my disappointment to find that to go up another level, I need another 50,000 points. Please can someone review these tiers? Also, I don't know what I was expecting but when I "achieved" the 50,000 points, it was very underwhelming. I didn't even get a notification about it. I know this is supposed to be an added extra but, if you go to trouble to make a program like this, I think it should feel more rewarding. When you complete a course in the Atlassian university, at least some glitter pops up on the screen for a few seconds...

Just my two cents.

3 comments

Comment

Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2023

Congrats to 50.000 points @Valerie Knapp That's quite a journey, which I am also trying to accomplish bit by bit. I've seen in some forum, that in the past Atlassian did send some real life badges and small gifts for different tiers like "Rising Star". Stuff like that would be awesome for higher tiers as well. 

A view weeks ago, I participated in an ACE and got some socks with cloud motives (the event was about cloud migration). That was very cute, unexpected, and rewarding at the same time and that was just for participating in the event :)

Dear Atlassian, the little gifts are already there, just send them to your highly engaged community members 😜

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 13, 2023

@Valerie Knapp thank you for the feedback! I know you've been really engaged in the program so your thoughts are especially important.  We're looking at milestones for additional rewards, it's good to know that 50K feels meaningful and that maybe it's too big a jump to the next level.  

Please keep the feedback coming, and @Chris K thanks for weighing in as well! Kudos headed both your way. 

Like # people like this
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2023

Hi @Monique vdB , thanks for your response. I would say that 50,000 felt significant but mostly in a negative way. 50,000 is / was a number so high as to seem impossible when you start out, especially when things like responding to a question, which can be, I'm sure you can appreciate, very time-consuming, is only 20 points.

I also note that what is written in the 'Challenges' in terms of the points value is not applied consistently. See below, where 'Leader Approved' is indicated on the right as 25 points and yet I am awarded only 10 points.

image.png

Honestly, I am embarassed to write to complain about some made-up points system. However, I would like to avoid a situation where people end up feeling like I do sometimes, that in spite of having spent lots of time and effort to try to help other people, and where there is a system of rewards and commendations, that it seems to be calibrated incorrectly or weighted unfairly towards people who can spend their whole day on here. I think we stand to get more out of fostering a community of people helping each other, at all levels, in different languages, contexts, etc.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 1, 2023

@Valerie Knapp no, your feedback is super important! That points discrepancy is a bug and thank you for flagging it.

We're excited to add more features to the program in the new year, including more meaningful celebration of milestones. 

Like Roger Hughes likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2023

I believe I have observed another loophole / condition whereby some appear to be searching for older questions (+6 months or older) which have no answers, particularly from new posters, welcoming them to the community, with a response along the lines of "has this been solved", "can you provide more details", or "you should contact support for that".  These are not follow-ups to prior answers. 

The posts instead appear to be farming the "Warm Welcome" and the eventual timeout for "No Question Left Behind" challenges.  (sigh)

Like Roger Hughes likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2023

Hi @Valerie Knapp 

First thing, congrats on reaching that level of engagement and the continuing support I see you providing the community by answering questions well.  I truly thank you!

And I understand your concerns; it is unclear to me what behaviors the current system is trying to foster.  (I am reminded of a quote from a television show, "The points are all made up and do not matter.")  The system can clearly be misused, as apparent when one compares participant activity versus points, levels, badges, kudos, oh my...  For example, those spelunking through ancient, unanswered posts to "answer" something from a year ago with a suggestion to use an addon.  Harrumph, I say!

I am personally here to learn by helping, and when necessary, aim to misbehave and speak up when questionable and unhelpful information is shared by others.

Gamifying a community like this can help improve engagement, and add fun.  Just remember to consider why you want to participate, what you get back, and how you can continue to help.  Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events