"Subversion repo imports are temporarily disabled" Edited

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create bitbucket git repo from svn source and get this error message:

1. 19:47:51 svn import for:
  2. 19:47:51 Svn checkout failed: <class 'bitbucket.apps.async.tasks.ImportException'>: Subversion repo imports are temporarily disabled.

Any idea when this feature will be enabled again?

2 answers

I have similar problem, any idea when this will be enabled again?

0 vote

Hi there,

The Subversion importer has been disabled indefinitely.

Instead, we recommend converting your Subversion repository to a Git repository locally and then importing the new repository.

See this handy guide for steps on how to do it: https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/migrating-overview

For clarity, we will update the repository import screen imminently to recommend this option.

Bitbucket PM

Hi Alistair,

The documentation has been updated, but the actual import page has not.  Instead it still gives this error.

Can I persuade you that disabling allowing import from Subversion is a mistake? SVN is old and outdated, and many people - including myself - want to move repos to a more modern system, like git and mercurial. Doing this manually is a complicated process, with recommended steps including cloning the SVN repo locally, installing and using hgsubversion (the documentation for which is currently down), etc.

One of the benefits of Bitbucket is that it allows import from other repos, automatically, and allowing and helping people to move from SVN to a modern one would be very useful to your customers.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

1,319 views 1 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot