Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinite redirect loop only when logging into BitBucket

irwinbilling July 19, 2018

I've tried clearing cookies, logging out of all sessions on all machines, logging in using my email address instead of Google, and setting up two-factor auth. Problem still keeps happening.

34 answers

6 votes
Sascha Held November 21, 2018

This issue persists since multiple months. 

Is doesn't look like somebody cares, or evens analysis this issue properly. 
I've migrated all of my repositories from bitbucket to github. 

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

6 votes
Martin K. August 27, 2018

I had the same problem and found a solution:
Go to https://id.atlassian.com and log out - then you will be able to login again.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2018

Thanks for sharing this with us, @Martin K_!

Adam Ullrich December 30, 2018

Doesn't fix it for me. I continue to have the same issue. This is really embarrassing :(

Like # people like this
4 votes
Electra Administrator January 23, 2019

Hi,

Same issue here. The main problem seems to be how pages are redirected or POSTed. The way certain things are handled.

If you go to Bitbucket login you'll end up at https://bitbucket.org/socialauth/login/atlassianid/?next=%2F in Firefox and the page will stop here ("OpenID transaction in progress") since the event on the page/body does not fire in the correct order. There's an "onload" event to POST this page and that does not work.

<body onload="document.forms[0].submit();">

If you open the debugger console/developer tools (F12 on Windows) and execute the above submit() action you will be transferred to the correct login page.

>> document.forms[0].submit()

There are several pages that works in a similar way and they do not work either so you'll have to manually POST or click() things to happen in Firefox...

artem.byzgaev January 31, 2019

@Electra Administrator thanks a lot. it seems this is the only solution that really works now

Dominique Pijnenburg January 31, 2019

Indeed, this works. Of course it's far from ideal!

Please fix this, Atlassian.

Like Gabriel_Belmonte likes this
Jeff Lyne March 14, 2019

This did not work for me. I have been locked out of my account for almost 8 months now.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

Hi @Jeff Lyne  and welcome to the Community!

To which account are you trying to log in? I can see that you have both and individual and a team account. As you have read above, team accounts can not be accessed with their email address anymore (as team accounts don't have their own email addresses going forward), instead you can access the team using your individual account's credentials.

Please let us know where are you having trouble, in which browser, and send us a screenshot of the error you get. 

Best regards,

Ana

Like Jeff Lyne likes this
Jeff Lyne March 14, 2019

Thanks Ana. I should have done more research. This solved my problem.

Like Ana Retamal likes this
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2019

Glad to hear that, @Jeff Lyne , have a good day!

Ana

oliveirandre_ November 13, 2019
document.forms[0].submit()

👆this did the trick!

Atlassian, FIX THIS! I WASTED 2 HOURS OF BILLABLE WORK BECAUSE OF THIS!

Like nw-ervinne likes this
2 votes
Sami April 3, 2020

The worst thing about this bug is that it's been more than a year and it f8cking crashed my browser and lose all my tabs. SH*T

2 votes
Sami March 18, 2020

This is so fking stupid. Been unresolved for more than 2 years and for service as critical as login!!!!

1 vote
Danilo Durazzo April 16, 2020

Same issue @Ana Retamal I can't work like this. Please let us know what to do. I've tried both entering with my gmail account with a password and using google account to login. I deleted all my cookies Atlassin and bitbucket, ive tried to log out, and nothing. 

1 vote
Cedrico Djahan August 21, 2019

I had the same issue with  Bitbucket server. The problem was because the users in bitbucket were marked as "Unlicensed". 
See here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-articles/What-does-UNLICENSED-user-mean-in-Bitbucket-Server/ba-p/788968

So check the groups permissions for the users that is not able to log in. 

The behaviour may be different with bitbucket cloud. i don't know. 

1 vote
Filipposan August 16, 2019

I think this might be relevant here as well, this is also posted on

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/BitBucket-login-loop-quot-OpenID-transaction-in-progress-quot/qaq-p/872426#U1156402

ok this may not be nothing but a flunk but I followed the link https://bitbucket.org/account/signup/ in a private window then gave my email like if i was entering the email for the first time, it said welcome back and nothing happened then i tried to log in and it went to my dashboard. then i closed the window and tried again on my browser(firefox, non private mode) and it went back to the same behavior(login loop).

but i can enter in private mode no problem.

but no, i cant enter in a non private browser.

addendum, I logged back out and nope. nothing.

addendum, nope, doesnt matter what i do i can not login in a non private mode browser.

addendum, now i cant do that anymore with a private window, seems it was a fluke or something.

addendum now i can log in back with those accounts on a private window of course.

bluep99 August 19, 2019

Solved it for me! Thanks :)

1 vote
Matt Hotstone June 29, 2019

My account seemed to randomly start working after several months, but it's gone again now.  I'm unable to log in from any browser, on any computer.  

As before, I've done the usual attempts to alleviate the issue - log out via id.atlassian.com, etc.  No joy.  The actual requests are: 

GET https://bitbucket.org/account/signin/
Returns a 302 to https://bitbucket.org/socialauth/login/atlassianid/?next=%2F

GET https://bitbucket.org/socialauth/login/atlassianid/?next=%2F 
Returns a 200 and a HTML page that contains a form with `body onload="document.forms[0].submit();"` to automatically submit the form.

POST https://id.atlassian.com/openid/v2/op 
Returns a 303 to the following location

GET https://bitbucket.org/socialauth/complete/atlassianid/?janrain_nonce=[lots of open auth query string params here]

Returns a 302 to /account/signin/

And we're back at the start. 

Ah, one thing I've just noticed is that the last request in the above list sets a cookie:

```
messages="[someguidl]$[[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054[\"__json_message\"\0540\05440\054\"Team accounts can only be accessed via a team member account.\"]\054\"__messagesnotfinished__\"]"; httponly; Path=/; secure
```

That is interesting - I did have a team account, about 6 years ago.  And bingo!  I've just realised I'm trying to log in using the email address of that team account, not the email address of the original account that's a member of the team and which has a different email address.  It's all a little confusing since Bitbucket originally used usernames, not emails, for logging in.  

So for people who are still having the infinite loop with the "OpenID transaction in progress" message, I'd recommend looking at the cookies returned from the GET to `https://bitbucket.org/socialauth/complete/atlassianid`.  It seems they may return error messages there, which could explain why the authentication failed.

1 vote
Ben Crowhurst June 26, 2019

Sick to death having to deal with this issue every couple of weeks!  I'm out! Get me off this platform.

1 vote
Simon Pinn June 11, 2019

+1 suffering the same issue here too, regardless of computer, browser, incognito or cleared site data - can't do anything!

1 vote
종헌 김 December 13, 2018

same issue...

Could you please fix this?

I have to work with this

1 vote
pierre.allais November 18, 2018

Hello,

I had this problem and support did not help much.

I understood that I did not have to log in with the old team  account. But I could not reach a login window to change login, because of this infinite loop.

I managed to get out of this trap by removing the cache and cookies, not just those from bitbucket.org, but the entire browser cache and all the cookies.

I was then able to access a login window again, to change login.

I suspect that the login process uses other URLs, such as id.atlassian.com. These URLs have their own caches and cookies, which participate in this infinite loop, and they are not affected by the deletion of the cache and cookies on the url bitbucket.org

1 vote
Johan Bertrand August 9, 2018

Hi @Ana Retamal

I'm facing the same problem. It happened after i logged out. What are the instructions to correct it ? (I already opened a support ticket)

Thks

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
August 6, 2018

Hi @irwinbilling

I just checked your email address and I could see it's linked to a Team account. It's been some time already since it's not possible to access Team accounts that way; now every member needs to use their own credentials to access the team they belong to. 

If your individual Bitbucket account is not part of the team, you'll need to ask one of the admins to add you. If you don't have an individual team account, you can create it at Bitbucket Sign up. Alternatively, if you want to use the same email address that is currently associated to the team, please let us know as we'll need to do some work on the background first.

Let us know if you need any further assistance!

Kind regards :) 

Ana

irwinbilling August 6, 2018

Hi Ana,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, there is no-one else on the team account. It would be great if we could make the same email address work.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
August 7, 2018

Hi @irwinbilling, I can see there are other users in the team, however, to make things easier, I've created a Support ticket for you so we can help you with this change internally. You should receive an email notification about the Support ticket soon.

Cheers!

Ana

mitesh khatri August 13, 2019

Hi,

I am facing same issue. So please can you check by my email address.
miteshkhat@gmail.com

Filipposan August 16, 2019

Hi Anna, im facing the same issue, is it possible to check if im on the same circumstances?

0 votes
Simon Pinn May 19, 2020

This won't help everyone, however I found that when I had a Chrome extension for a VPN insalled, in my case PIA, it caused the redirect loop, I removed the extension and all was well!

0 votes
cbrandolin sc May 19, 2020

I am having the same problem as you, the infinite loop does not let you enter and everything goes through the teams account that was created long ago. Is it possible that we have an answer?

rafaelobatista May 19, 2020

Have you tried to access like this "bitbucket.org/username" after the authentication? 

0 votes
rafaelobatista August 19, 2019

I'm having the same issue, but I can access my account by adding my username at the end of the home URL, like "bitbucket.org/username" an then I can see all my repos and the ones that are shared with me

0 votes
mitesh khatri August 13, 2019

Facing same issue from last 4 months... please solve it.

0 votes
Adam Ullrich December 2, 2018

same issue :( 

0 votes
Matt Hotstone November 8, 2018

I haven't tried just leaving it in the loop for more than a minute @1970581, maybe I'll try that tonight.  

It's not much help for most people, but since I was still authenticated on one computer, I was able to do a bulk import of my projects into GitLab (https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/import/bitbucket.html) which means I'm at least able to access my code again on other devices.  In all fairness to Atlassian, it's my personal free account that is broken, so I guess if they want to cut off access, I have no right to complain - I'm not paying for the service.  

0 votes
Dominique Pijnenburg November 8, 2018

I can't login with Firefox as well. When pressing the 'Log in' button on https://bitbucket.org/product I'm greeted with a blank page with the title 'OpenID transaction in progress', but the page is done loading.

When opening a page on https://community.atlassian.com/ I'm seeing it at first, then there's some kind of reload and I'm being routed to an empty page with title 'POST data'.

This sucks.

Dominique Pijnenburg November 8, 2018

I'm not sure what it is that makes this work, but when I login through a link similar to the last one (#3) mentioned here, I get through. I can't share the link because I'm scared of the possibility that my account gets hacked or something.

0 votes
Jeremy Day November 7, 2018

Struggling with this as well. 

0 votes
1970581 October 25, 2018

Same problem. It takes me 10 minutes trying to log in to actualy log in.

Worse, if I try to go to one of my public repositories, I get a blank page.

Press the log in in the bitbucket site a blank page.

This is ridiculous.

0 votes
Kryptonite October 24, 2018

I have the same problem, cannot log into my account. Tried 2 browsers, tried clearing cookies.. Would like to be able to clone me repos again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events